Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share some pics of my rain catchment setup in hopes it might help inspire others.

I started with a 265 gallon tote. I then put 3/8" wood panelling all around it to keep sun out. Then I painted it to match the trim on my house so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb(as bad). Since the pics where taken I have painted the PVC pipes to match the rest of it. I wanted to have as much as possible of the system be all one unit. So in the event things get really bad and I think the tank may be vandalized or stolen I can quickly drain it and safely store it in the attached garage if nessasary. I have two of the pumps. Just in case. I run the pump off of our 1200watt solar setup. The pressure through the pump is a little higher than our normal city water spigot is. I don't use the pump much, but its nice to have. The screen on top of the filter box is just regular aluminum window screen.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll be glad to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Serviceable filter box. Some joints are glued, some are not. The T is not glued to the nipple coming from the filter box or the tank. The rubber coupler is there so I could put a piece of the 150 micron mesh over the nipple coming from the T to keep bugs from flying up the overflow. The coupler is holding the mesh in place

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Love this concept and can't wait to do it myself. I want to wait until I'm out of this grad school apartment situation and into something a little more permanent.

I have a somewhat decent knowledge of basic plumbing from the days I spent running a local municipal pool. I hope that background helps out when I put my system together.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm loving this setup. Can it be adapted to make the water potable?
I drink it all the time......after I run it through my big berkey.

The water comes out clear and sediment free, so If nothing else, just boil it and drink.

I toyed around with the idea of suspending a chlorine tablet in a mesh bag from a string a few inches off the bottom. When the tablet dissolves, pull bag up, replace tablet and drop it back in.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I toyed around with the idea of suspending a chlorine tablet in a mesh bag from a string a few inches off the bottom. When the tablet dissolves, pull bag up, replace tablet and drop it back in.
That would seem almost a shame, to take something naturally occurring and add something foreign and unnatural. It's your system and it's a nice one, subjectively speaking I wouldn't fix what ain't broke.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would seem almost a shame, to take something naturally occurring and add something foreign and unnatural. It's your system and it's a nice one, subjectively speaking I wouldn't fix what ain't broke.
My thoughts exactly. I couldn't think of a "nessesary" reason to do it......so I didn't.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Do you have flow issues? As in in a heavy rain, does the filter flow enough that water doesn't overflow/backup out of the gray bin?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have flow issues? As in in a heavy rain, does the filter flow enough that water doesn't overflow/backup out of the gray bin?
We had one really good down pour a couple weeks ago and I went out during the storm to monitor for issues like that. The filter flows plenty to keep up. The water level in the box never completely covered the filter much less overflow the box. The only issue I saw was during very heavy rain about 5% of the water goes past the T and down the overflow pipe. I didn't consider it a big deal.

Although you probably can't see it, I put an 1/8" drain line coming off the bottom of the filter box so after the rain stops the box will drain and not have stagnant water in it when I want to remove and clean the filter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts