Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, no laughing out loud is aloud. I have a stupid question, and in the guise of no stupid questions
I just have to ask that to which I do not know:

Can you tie up a rattle snake so it would remain on its teather and be a good sentry? I'm thinking
one here, one there, and that way I know where they are too.

Animal rights advocates need not reply; tying them up may sound mean but I honestly would just
prefer killing them on site - I hate them - but if this were possible maybe they could enjoy a
teathered life?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes you can....Copperheads too! Dont use a "NOOSE" type knot instead tie a fixed loop around the neck. They last for months that way.

How do I know? Dope growers here in Kentucky (OUR NUMBER 1 CROP!!!) do it to keep people out of their grow areas. I've found a lot of them!

Rattlesnakes are delicious!~ Rolled in meal and pan fried! Yummy!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Marijuana growers do it all the time as a booby trap for law enforcement. I see SSGT beat me to it but I can validate that they can last for months tethered. .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Actually Ripon, I didn't think it was a stupid question at all! First, it is something I had never even thought of before, and second, I learned something I didn't know before from the replys you received! Thanks for asking it.:-D

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
To scare off intruders we could make a tiny battery-operated electronic box with loudspeaker that plays a rattlesnake sound every minute or two, and place them around our property partially hidden under bushes or rocks.
Any intruder approaching the property at night would hear all these rattles going off and think "holy shit I ain't going in there!"

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
As a green young teenage wild-camper I used to wonder what all the shooting was about in the fields around me at night, and i later found out they were rabbit-scarers that farmers had put in their fields.
Apparently they were basically a small metal container into which gas was automatically fed from a canister every couple of minutes and triggered by a spark to go BOOM.
Dunno if they scared the rabbits but they sure as hell scared me

·
Registered
219 Posts
Matter of fact....Was a DAMN fine question!

As the saying goes...The only STUPID question is a question not asked!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I have to admit they've always been shot on sight but as I was working on some
things with my brother the topic of not shooting things came up for security purposes - too much shootings
gets people curious and attracts attention. We have a lot of snakes in our area, I can't stand them, was bit
when I was 9 and never forgave the entire population of snakes for it. I've learned to fry em up fine, prepare
them in such a way that I can actually enjoy them but my brother said we need to start taking them down
without a gun - and wasting ammo. He figured it out and then I said - what if we tied them up - he laughed
at me - but then tried to google it.

Thanks for the replies. Now I'm thinking cool - I can set forth a route that is safe to run through but unless
someone followed the exact same path they'd have to deal with them.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
But how do you teach the snake to heal,roll over and fetch.

·
Super Moderator
9,223 Posts
Cool! And tie skunk scent sacks with trip wires
When I lived in Colorado, I was in an area known as skunk hollow. I had a family of skunks move in under my house. 40 below outside and I had to have the door cracked open so I could breath. I bought a .22 browning as a fix. I don't think I could recommend skunks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
To the OP...

Although many have suggested it is possible... there are several things to consider that haven't been discussed. First.... is this really worth the time and risk to you. It might be a cool sounding idea, but it is a huge safety risk for you. First... the catching. Second, the tying them off. Third, remembering exactly where they are as you, your family, or your pets move through your property. Forth, feeding them (I assume you don't just plan to leave them there to starve or you'll have to replace them and start with risk one again). Fifth, tracking them down if they break free. Sixth, watching out for the other rattlers that are drawn to them that you don't know about. Then, of course... your physical location and climate will determine if you have to build suitable habitat for them to survive. Just tying them to a tree doesn't ensure they get the right amount of sun without killing them... or provide a warm rock for them to sleep under when the night gets cold... or shelter them from hawks and owls. Finally... If you have it tied up... it has got to be directly in the path the bad guy is walking. It can't move too far or it will be ineffective (which also means it can't feed itself... and you've got to feed it... or go through the risk of catching and typing up another one.) But... if it's tied too close, and it rattles before it bites, the bad guy will see it, and go around it, making it a less than effective barrier. Finally... No BOL is every completely safe... with that in mind, you or your family may have to bug out on foot... and do it rather quickly. If it's at night and at a dead run, you also put your family at risk of being bitten in the panic of the moment. Personally, I'd stick with just eating them... and leave the fancy rattlesnake leashes to the pot growers. But... it's your prep and your risk... so do what you think is best.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I used to know a guy who caught poisonous snakes and milked them for their venom to sell to manufacturers of anti-venom. Very brave guy, could catch them with his bare hands, but he often used a noose catch stick. He was bitten by a copperhead two hours from his truck when he opened his sack to drop a rattler in, on his ring finger. He had to tourniquet the finger, and slice it open along its entire length to drain the poison and control the swelling caused by neurotoxins, just to make it back. I learned a lot about snakes from him. He has been bitten multiple times.

But the best lesson I learned was to leave snakes the hell alone. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. I think you might want to reconsider a better approach to BOL security.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You could always put a stuffed one on your porch. :eek:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Ripon, I was going to ask the same thing to do, but instead of snakes, I was going to tie my EX wife up on a teather to scare off intruders.

Seriously, great idea, WoadWarrior has some good points to consider as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts