Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered something called a Raspberry Pi, a $35 credit card sized computer. Managed to get a hold of a few before they sold out again. Then I thought, ok I have some now what can I build with them. Well the idea came while at work and I'd passed some Pelican cases, idea! I'll build my own ruggedized computer.

So I built a proof of concept, just to see if I could do it. I loaded it up a few PDF manuals. Gave it a GPS and WiFi (maybe a 3G connection later) It runs off a 8,000 mAh battery and can use it for about a full day and change.

There are alot of things I'm going to change now.

- Wiring is a mess in this version
- Replace the 4.3" screen with a 7" that is powered off USB instead of a 12V battery pack.
- Replace the battery with a custom 16,000 mAh (minimum, might go higher)

Raspberry Pi: Raspberry Pi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The board itself draws: 3.5 Watts
Powered USB Hub (4 ports): ~ 4 Watts

USB Battery Pack 8,000 mAh wired to accept DC12V for recharging from my solar batteries, and a portable solar charger.

The screen right now is a 4.3" car monitor so I had to find a DC12V battery pack (3,500 mAh). Sadly adding the 7" screen is going to prove more complicated to add cause I need to use a custom kernel for it to work on the Raspberry Pi.

Also since it's in a Pelican case it can take one hell of a beating.

Here is a picture of what it looks like now. Haven't decided once I finish this thing if I should sell them. What do you guys think?
version_1_0.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
It looks awesome! I don't know much about computers as far as how they work and what not, so I can't appreciate most of what you said in your post :) but it does look cool and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20121128_111951.jpg

It's hard for me to appreciate this project right now...the main board is being difficult, and trying to get a handle on the wires.

Any ideas on what I should call this project?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whats the primary purpose of this device going to be? I can think of a petty clever name if I know its use.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Playing devils advocate: Wont my tablet do dang near the same thing this thing will?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts