Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I just joined the forum today. My name is Mike and I'm 16 years old. I've just recently gotten into the prepping world and am very interested. I like to read these threads for ideas and suggestion, so I thought its about time to become a member. I recently just moved from the Chicago-land area to the Southwest Florida area. I'm interested in everything about prepping. Especially: Self Defense (Guns & Knives), Bugging out (Locations & Bug Out Bags), Survival Gear, Food Supply, Water Supply, Electrical Options, and Bugging In Shelters (Underground Bomb & Fallout Shelters). I want to prepare for pretty much ant disaster situation, which I know is impossible, but it doesn't hurt to try. If I ask stupid questions or post in the wrong section don't get upset, as I said I'm new to this. So anyway this is my introduction to you guys. Thanks for listening.
-Mike G.
Also since I'm new, I'm not sure If there is already like a thread or forum for prepping in Southwest Florida on here. If there is tell me, If there isn't them I'm interested in starting one. I want to maybe start a group or some sort of meetup later on.

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
Welcome from Alabama, located in FEMA region IV.

You came to the right place.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome from mass. I would say start with most likly 1st. In Florida maybe prep for hurricanes. Food, water, lanterns, stuff like that. Then keep reading, and you'll think of a lot more stuff. For a bag i'd suggest army surplus they are cheap and last a long time. Watch for Rice paddy daddies posts, he is in your area, and has lived a long, long, time.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Hello from Minnesota.

We have quite a few guys on this forum from Florida. Be glad to be out of Chi-town. Florida is a pretty good place.

Reactions: 6074

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Welcome from Texas. You will find good people and good info here. There are a fair number here from FL.

Start with the basics, food and water. Another suggestion would be firearms training depending on how your family feels about it. If you have little or no knowledge about firearms, training is a must. Even those with some experience still train. Many ranges offer classes.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Welcome to the board. I am from Okeechobee but now out in Montana.. There is tons of info here. I started young like you. Just keep with it and you will do well. Maybe think about joining something like Civil Air Patrol or the like too. It will give you a leg up over most people your age!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

How does your family feel about being prepared? It would seem the hurricane scenario would be a slam dunk for geting their support if they need a bit of encouragement. I imagine many of your neighbors will readily share basic storm preparedness info as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just curious, what made you think about prepping at such a young age?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My family and I only prepare for Hurricanes really, cause of where we live. I want to prep for other disasters and possible SHTF scenarios, but they think that's crazy. I want to try and have food and water stored and an alternative energy source. I want to start prepping mainly do to what I see around the world and in the US. I want to be more prepared than others. Which always leads me to the problem of defense, obviously I'm not old enough to legally own a weapon so I'm also looking for defense items as well.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You are legally allowed to own a firearm, in the sate of Florida, as long as you have parental permission. (I think. This was never really an issue with my dad, I owned my first gun at the age of 1.)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You are legally allowed to own a firearm, in the sate of Florida, as long as you have parental permission. (I think. This was never really an issue with my dad, I owned my first gun at the age of 1.)
True, I owned guns as a child and even went shooting with friends in Florida. With him being from Chicago. I'm not so sure his parents are too "gun friendly".. I hope I'm wrong though...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts