Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have looked at all the wind powered solar powered plans alot of it seems confusing to me and alot of trouble for what you get.
heres my idea, i think this would work to run a few small lights and maybe a fan. if you wanted to run a small refrigator you'd need a inverter i guess.

i have seen several ways to run a automotive alternator to charge a set of batteries.
my idea is to build a windmill to run a alternator to charge a set of batteries.(i dont really know how many batteries i'd need)
from that run wiring to small automotive lights in the house set with switches.like normal lights only dimmer.
also they have auto fans that run on 12 volts so on really hot nights you could run a fan in the bed room.

most of the items for a setup like this could be got from a junk yard for next to nothing.
my vehicle has a small diesel engine in it so if worst came to worst i could hook the vehicle up to the system and charge it.
questions i have about this maybe someone could answer
does any of this seem feasible?
how long would a set of batteries last?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Reactions: hayden

·
Registered
56 Posts
Marine batteries would last longer than car batteries. They are made to be charged and discharged many times. You could perhaps gear your set up to increase the rpms needed to produce enough power to charge the batteries.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The concept of creating electricity itself is not bad, however I believe you are missing a considerable factor. If the world goes to shit and the electricity is cut, you'll have a sign in the yard advertising. Initially people would wait for the lights to come on, if they don't people would kill over batteries. Adapt, survive. You don't need electricity.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Just lighting? Use an oil lamp. Wallmart sells them cheap.

Get a few gallons of lamp oil and whatever you need for lamps.

If you need more light than that get a coleman lantern.

I have these little lamps with a shoestring wick that i use as night lights when the power is out.

One in each room is enough to get around

·
Registered
207 Posts
i have looked at all the wind powered solar powered plans alot of it seems confusing to me and alot of trouble for what you get.
heres my idea, i think this would work to run a few small lights and maybe a fan. if you wanted to run a small refrigator you'd need a inverter i guess.

i have seen several ways to run a automotive alternator to charge a set of batteries.
my idea is to build a windmill to run a alternator to charge a set of batteries.(i dont really know how many batteries i'd need)
from that run wiring to small automotive lights in the house set with switches.like normal lights only dimmer.
also they have auto fans that run on 12 volts so on really hot nights you could run a fan in the bed room.

most of the items for a setup like this could be got from a junk yard for next to nothing.
my vehicle has a small diesel engine in it so if worst came to worst i could hook the vehicle up to the system and charge it.
questions i have about this maybe someone could answer
does any of this seem feasible?
how long would a set of batteries last?

Thanks for any input
you'll need deep cycle batteries , well not completely *need* but they'd be better , and you'll have to play with pulley ratios on the alternator to turn it fast enough.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The concept of creating electricity itself is not bad, however I believe you are missing a considerable factor. If the world goes to shit and the electricity is cut, you'll have a sign in the yard advertising. Initially people would wait for the lights to come on, if they don't people would kill over batteries. Adapt, survive. You don't need electricity.
That comes down to light discipline , and it applies to lanterns , candles....any form of light.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
No body getting in the yard. A light wind mill to charge up batteries may work out well for some.
We am not counting on oil or fuel of any kind for long. Lard will be used down the road.
I do want to work on extracting soybean oil we will have plenty of those and the meal left over has all the protein left in it for food or feed. I just do not know how well it will work.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I saw some one take a busted up treadmill and turn the motor on the tread mill into a generator doing what you are talking about. I'll look and see if I can find anything on that topic.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There ya go!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Here is our windmill that has a treadmill alternator inside it. Right now, the alternator blows the light blubs. We are still working on the solution to it.

Same thing with car/truck alternators, you have to get enough rpm's up to keep the batteries topped off.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Here is our windmill that has a treadmill alternator inside it. Right now, the alternator blows the light blubs. We are still working on the solution to it.
what voltage is the output and what is the voltage of the light bulbs? if ac output, you can put a diode in series with the bulb, it will cut the voltage in half. or get a variac.

otherwise you will need a regulator. you can make a regulator using a zener diode,

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
what voltage is the output and what is the voltage of the light bulbs? if ac output, you can put a diode in series with the bulb, it will cut the voltage in half. or get a variac.

otherwise you will need a regulator. you can make a regulator using a zener diode,
Good idea, I learned that in the ham radio technician studies, but never thought about it on something like this. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
after thinking about it some more. have you checked the output of the alternator?

the diode bridge could be bad and giving you an over voltage condition.

throw an o'scope on it and see if there is any ripple. should be flat or almost.

if you don't have a scope check the diodes in the unit for a bad one.

if you have an analog meter you can see the needle vibrate if there is a wave when set on dc.

make sure you go to next higher voltage step on it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Most automotive altinators have the bridge rectifier and regulator on them and they are set to work with lead acid battery they should put out a voltage around 14 volts. Probably you would need a pretty good windmill to get 600 watts out of one rated at 60 amps. Your only real concern would be if you had a battery to small to handle the altinator's current. The altinator's regulator will protect it no matter how large a batter you use as long as it is a 12 volt system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most car alternators require excitation voltage to begin charging, which can be your battery voltage switched back to the alternator. They also require about 2000 rpm to begin charging.

I say go for it. Treadmill motor looks promising but will require a charge controller or regulator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts