Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Well my first is an old 1911 my father left me. After he passed away I bought some ammo, took some classes and got use to using it. It works but it's hard for me to depend on such an old gun and to have only one. So I've bought my first hand gun via buds and shipped to my dealer. I signed all the docs today and now wait 10 days before the government will let me have it. I bought a compact CZ
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...1184/CZ-USA+01190+CZ+75+Compact+10+1+9mm+3.8"

A friend lead me to this one. Hope it works out well for someone who has never fired anything but a vintage 1911. Wish I could have tried it first but I'm told if it isn't to my liking they resell easily here in CA. Ordered some FMJ 115 gr ammo for practice and will need to find the right defensive ammo soon. Will search YouTube it seems like a lot of videos there. Any advise on defensive ammo?
Hey
Not a bad choice if you like a gun that if all metal, its a bit heavy and reminds me of the M9 but that isn't bad just what it is.

I'm more a fan of striker fired guns and not hammer fired but as you have a 1911 you won't notice the difference.

It really is about what you practice with, you can make either of your 2 guns very good with some practice.

For ammo look for Remington Ultimate Defense or Barnes TAC-XTP ammo, they each have a $5 rebate for each box and if you find them on sale can get them around $13 for 20 rounds (after rebate)

Ya it helps working in a gun store to know the deals.

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
Ok...let us clear up the issue of whether the vintage 1911s can feed some decent ammo. Our old 4506's could gobble up Flying Ashtrays real good. Now whether the vintage models left over 1911s from the Big War can do that..I doubt it..but just speculating. The ball ammo tends to make nice holes in folks but dont do much to make the alleged perps to cease and desist their nefarious activities..immediately.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I love 1911s, they are no longer my first choice in a defense gun, however. CZ seems to make a fairly good handgun.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I love 1911s, they are no longer my first choice in a defense gun, however. CZ seems to make a fairly good handgun.
I have to agree on the 1911 45. Times change. Weapons/ammo have changed and the way we use them . That is not disrespecting the long history of the 1911.
I was not happy when we lost the 1911 for the M9. Truth is the M9 is a pretty good weapon for the job a hand gun is used for.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I have to agree on the 1911 45. Times change. Weapons/ammo have changed and the way we use them . That is not disrespecting the long history of the 1911.
I was not happy when we lost the 1911 for the M9. Truth is the M9 is a pretty good weapon for the job a hand gun is used for.
I carried the Beretta 92F for many years as a primary duty weapon. It was a great gun. Our Chief still feels they are the end all, be all of the handgun world. The 92F design is outdated now too. The wide open ejection port has to be a sand trap. It is also a big, heavy gun. We are going to the Glock 21 evidently. The .45 caliber cartridge is non-negotiable for him. I don't mind that, but a full size .45 handgun, 4 magazines and 53 rounds of ammo ain't even remotely light. Maybe I am just getting old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I am a Glock double stack kind of guy now. 1911 is great but all new pistols for me now are Glock.. The safety consists of the user knowing when to place their finger on the trigger which is the best safety I know of...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There was a bit of a debate on should I get a new 1911 and just have two of them. My thought was having more then one caliber made sense. Its also more practical for my wife to use. She really didn't like the 1911 and I think she will be ok with the CZ because its a lot smaller.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I like having 2 weapons that use the same ammo. If one does go down you have backups. Having the same weapons helps too.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. CZ makes an excellent handgun. If I ever scrap together enough precious metal representing paper (jk) I'll be looking hard at them myself.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I like having 2 weapons that use the same ammo. If one does go down you have backups. Having the same weapons helps too.
Yes. So following that formula we all need a minimum of two .45s, two 9mm, two .357, etc, etc.....Welcome to gun ownership. It's happened to several of us. Some feed the addiction, some lie about it.
:)

Reactions: Oddcaliber

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Lots of intriguing choices on better ammo. I saw some poor reviews on this, and some comments that dispute them.
1000 round case - 9mm Luger Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115 grain JHP Hollow point 9BP | SGAmmo.com
This federal classic hi - shok I was told was a good choice for the smaller 9mm I'm getting or picking up this week. The
reviews said the stuff has no penetration power? A brand that I have not heard of us offered in the same format for $10 more
for the 1000 rounds but no reviews on that. At 32 cents a round I can practice a little more with this stuff and not just the FMJ
stuff I ordered already. Do I need better than this?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes. So following that formula we all need a minimum of two .45s, two 9mm, two .357, etc, etc.....Welcome to gun ownership. It's happened to several of us. Some feed the addiction, some lie about it.
:)
Well, now, the way I see it, the more guns I have in any given caliber just makes reloading that much more efficient. I mean, why load for one gun when you can load for, say, a dozen or so? What's wrong with that? Makes perfect sense. How many people do you know with FOUR 7.65 Argentines for the simple reason of a yard sale five dollar set of dies? Or, or, now six (maybe seven or eight) .44 magnums because one day decades ago, I found a box of .44s must have fallen off a horse.

That's my excuse (this time) and I'm sticking with it. Now I'm going to go whittle on my new cannon carriage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first handgun was a Nickel Steel Young American Double Action 32. It fit right in the palm of my hand just about. $25

Then I got a S&W 7-shot .357, then two 9mm Sigs, then 2 S&W 45 ACPs and then......

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
H&R Arms 22 Rimfire Trapper Model 6" barrel was my first handgun. Funny story it's my brother's first handgun too.

When I went to college, Dad gave MY gun to my brother. I forgot about it until one of my nephews brought it back to me a few years ago. He said his dad, my younger brother, never shot it and it needed a good cleaning. It's in one of my get home bags now. Sweet little shooter, more than capable of taking some squirrels or other mammals.

View attachment 19049

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
NATO 9mm ball is 124 grain, low cost nearly the same POI, Speer 124 grain Gold Dot for anything with over a 3 inch barrel. 3 inch barrel may give unreliable expansion (over penetration) if that is a concern?

·
Registered
849 Posts
.... I have a Czech .22 and like most of what I have seen or heard about these firearms.
I have a A 10 year old brushed SS 75B 40SW Full-Sized. Weighty it is, but I am accurate as heck with it. It also has a .22 Kadet Conversion Kit that is available from CZ for it too, that is said by some to turn it into one of the world's best 22 Semi-Auto Pistols. Currently saving my pennies...

I think the Kadet .22 Kit works on the 75B Compact too. I tell you if I could afford it right now I would buy a compact CZ 75 9mm too. It looks like a heck of a CCW Stowlin, just the thing in fact!!

CZ 75B 40SW.jpg

CZ 75B 9MM Compact.jpg

Reactions: Slippy and Denton

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts