Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a way to carry extra ammo ON my 590. Something of quality preferred (if possible). What method do you use and like? Thanks, JR

·
Registered
634 Posts
I thought about this when I bought my 500, but adding that weight to the shotgun on the sling would cause issues and unbalance it. I decided to pass on the accessories hanging rounds from the gun it self.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Not a big fan of slings. This set up works well for My daughter have a couple set up this way. You really can't miss a shot with it even firing from the hip and if you need them extra rounds at the ready.
Mossberg.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
could use a side saddle carrier that actually mounts to the reciever itself. they work really well. holds 5 extra shells and does not affect the operation off the gun

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the reviews on some of the receiver mounted carriers and was surprised to see how many came/fell off during firing. The sling's I've seen also have low ratings due to elastic shell holders losing tension. The stock cuff like Smitty901's seem to be the best so far. Thought I'd ask what others use and like. Thanks, JR

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I read the reviews on some of the receiver mounted carriers and was surprised to see how many came/fell off during firing. The sling's I've seen also have low ratings due to elastic shell holders losing tension. The stock cuff like Smitty901's seem to be the best so far. Thought I'd ask what others use and like. Thanks, JR
Many of our vest and jacket have ammo storage built right in that works also No one system works for everyone no one system is prefect. Out shot guns are close range in the compound defense that is why we stick to short lengths. Others may plan to use theirs other ways ,

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
A sling with ammo on it kind of defeats the purpose of adding a sling in the first place. Yes the side saddle mounts do sometimes leave a bit to be desired but I feel they are better than ammo on a sling. The stock cuffs that hold a few rounds in reserve make the most sense from a practicality stand point. Need more than a few rounds in reserve I think your best bet is a tactical vest designed for the shotgunner.

I realize that sounds a little too "tacticool" for most here but it really is a great solution if you holding down the fort or keeping the neighborhood secure and might find yourself needing to fire more than a few rounds. It keeps the gun functional and it supplies much needed ammo in an extended engagement. When I was tasked with setting up my last Shipboard Commands Auxillary Security Force this is the route I went with my teams. Weapons and a vest for each member was maintained in the armory for issue with Ammunition already broken out and alloted for each member. Within a matter of seconds each team member recieved their vest, weapons and ammo appropriate for the position they were to fill if a response was required to back up those that were already on watch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You might look at a speed stock if they still make them had an ammo carrier built into both sides of the stock held 4 extra rounds. I just use an ammo belt i keep near the gun, throw it on like a bandoleer until I can put the belt on.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts