Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mossberg 500E it has wood furniture and the 24" Full choke vent rib barrel. I've been wanting to modify it to more of a home defense style without changing too much. I found an 18" cyl bore barrel for a reasonable price...so what else would I need to round it out to make a compact light weight HD shotgun out of it.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A friend of mine helped me add a flash light to my 870. Its a 20.5 inch with 8 + 1 round capacity and I love having that flash light on it.

I keep a hand gun close to where I sleep - its to help me get to the shotgun.
The shotgun I keep is always loaded and ready for bear - its to help me get to the AR
If I make it to the AR and someone is still standing I need the AR.

I have a Mossberg 500E it has wood furniture and the 24" Full choke vent rib barrel. I've been wanting to modify it to more of a home defense style without changing too much. I found an 18" cyl bore barrel for a reasonable price...so what else would I need to round it out to make a compact light weight HD shotgun out of it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I wouldn't do anything else to your shotgun. I'm not impressed by all the red dots, ammo carriers, and after-market sights some people slap on their home-defense shotgun. Keep it simple.
A 12ga I might mod a little, but I'd just clean up a 410 and keep it classic. Love that caliber (yep 410 is a caliber and not a gauge) and there are some really nice ones out there. I just refinished the stock on a single shot bolt action. Sweet little gun.

What ever you decide, I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
.410 caliber shot gun is too small,

The shells are too expensive,

They are harder to find than 20 or 12 gauge

Buy a used pump 20 gauge, if you are a woman,

Buy a used pump 12 gauge, if you are a man

That is already set up as a home defense type gun,

Also it does not have to be black with pistol grip, pickatinny rail, flash light, and an extended tube to be a home defense shot gun. That funzy shit is like spinner wheels on a car sense less.

The proper ammo, 3 buck for a 20 gauge and 4 buck for a 12 gauge, is what makes a shot gun into a home defense shot gun.

You can find Remington 870 express 20 gauges for between 250 and 325 all day long.

If you spend a couple hundred modifying a .410 to make it black with a pistol grip and a short barrel with a flash suppressor.

You are a fool.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
GT,
I'm a fan of the 410,
The barrels on the 500E's can change back and forth and so can the stocks, I was kind of thinking of getting the shorter barrel and maybe a set of polymer stocks to go with it. I mostly hunt with it. So I don't want to do anything to it that's permanent. It's my grouse and quail getter. Yet the rest of the year it occupies a spot in the safe. Just thinking it would be nice to be able to change it up a bit.

alterego,
If my liking the 410 and adding the HD options, makes me a fool then I'm in good company...
You obviously don't have clue...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never heard of a person with the cylinder of their Taurus Judge loaded with .410's have their manhood questioned. Yet mention the .410 shotgun and your manhood is the first thing that comes into question.

You don't hear anyone complaining they are under gunned with their .357mag or their 9mm or 1911 and the 410 is on a par with these calibers. So what exactly is it one gives up to the 12 gauge when they shoot a 410. Recoil and pellet count, I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I love the 410 and keep talking myself out of buy a bolt action on the grounds it isn't necessary. I gotta get past this particular unwanted bout of common sense!

A Judge works due to the proximity to target it's designed for. While I would be thankful to have a 410 in my hands if it was all that was around I would place it at the bottom of my list along with the .22 if there were other choices readily available.

There are situations where a .22 is an awesome offensive weapon, however.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I love the 410 and keep talking myself out of buy a bolt action on the grounds it isn't necessary. I gotta get past this particular unwanted bout of common sense!
I absolutely love mine. I find that shooting skeet with a 410 is absolutely challenging. You have to be quick before it drops out of range and your pattern is tiny. When I go shooting clays I take the 410 for starters and will not move on to 12 until I start busting a few with the 410. Then when I pick up the 12, I'm rockin it all damn day.

Stain Color - ArizonaGunOwners.com

The one place I suck with the 410 is the rabbit clay they run along the ground. And that is the one place you want to be really good with it because a 12 will eviscerate a rabbit.

·
Administrator
15,018 Posts
As far as a 410 pump gun I don't think there are too many available tacticool options, most seem to be made for 12 gauge. I would leave it alone, myself. Just get the shorter cylinder bore barrel and you can do as already metioned, change it back if you want to.
I'm a .410 fan myself, I carry them around our homestead, they are tools. I have a single shot that I put a sling on, a SXS double barrel, and my absolute favorite of all my shotguns - a Mossberg 183KE bolt action two-shot, with C-Lect Choke.

Rigged for Quiet - you absolutely must get a bolt action shotgun. They are just so darn cool. At least one for each gauge. Seriously, the old Mossberg bolt action shotguns and 22 rifles are becoming more than just cult classics now and prices are rising.
Besides the Mossberg 410 I've got a Mossberg Model 85B 20 gauge bolt made in 1940 and a Harrington & Richardson Model 120 16 ga bolt also made in 1940. The days these were $50 are gone, now they are around $150 when you can find one.

And yes, for the know-it-alls, I also have other gauge shotguns. Pumps, SXS, O/U and single shot. So you don't have to feel the need to make comments about my firearm choices. (I just had to let out that short rant, thanks.)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have never heard of a person with the cylinder of their Taurus Judge loaded with .410's have their manhood questioned. Yet mention the .410 shotgun and your manhood is the first thing that comes into question.

You don't hear anyone complaining they are under gunned with their .357mag or their 9mm or 1911 and the 410 is on a par with these calibers. So what exactly is it one gives up to the 12 gauge when they shoot a 410. Recoil and pellet count, I can live with that.
I don't question your manhood I say go with what you feel comfortable with. For me I used my first 12 gauge in 1973 I don't think I'd be comfortable with any other shotgun. Go with what works for you.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
As far as a 410 pump gun I don't think there are too many available tacticool options, most seem to be made for 12 gauge. I would leave it alone, myself. Just get the shorter cylinder bore barrel and you can do as already metioned, change it back if you want to.
I'm a .410 fan myself, I carry them around our homestead, they are tools. I have a single shot that I put a sling on, a SXS double barrel, and my absolute favorite of all my shotguns - a Mossberg 183KE bolt action two-shot, with C-Lect Choke.

Rigged for Quiet - you absolutely must get a bolt action shotgun. They are just so darn cool. At least one for each gauge. Seriously, the old Mossberg bolt action shotguns and 22 rifles are becoming more than just cult classics now and prices are rising.
Besides the Mossberg 410 I've got a Mossberg Model 85B 20 gauge bolt made in 1940 and a Harrington & Richardson Model 120 16 ga bolt also made in 1940. The days these were $50 are gone, now they are around $150 when you can find one.

And yes, for the know-it-alls, I also have other gauge shotguns. Pumps, SXS, O/U and single shot. So you don't have to feel the need to make comments about my firearm choices. (I just had to let out that short rant, thanks.)
I just missed a C Lect fitted bolt action for $120 a couple of weeks ago. The shop owner indicated he may have a line on another that would likely be a consignment sale. I'm waiting.........

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have other shotguns, and the 12ga is well represented among them. I'm not suggesting the 410 replace a 12ga or 20ga as a HD shotgun, nor am I suggesting that a person go out and buy a 410 for HD. The Mossberg 500E (410) is simply a neat little (410 sized) pump shotgun that with a few minor tweaks could possibly be a bit more versatile.

Barrels on the 500 series are easy to change and going from a full choke 24" vent rib barrel down to an 18" plain cylinder bore, would make it a bit handier around the house. Likewise a set of polymer youth stocks (13" LOP) would make it lighter, not that the 500E is heavy to start with. I think these are a couple of relatively easy and inexpensive things I can do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts