Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought wood in the basement again tonight.

We are getting some real winter weather this year. Cold weather etc.

Last year we only used 3 cord and two truck loads to heat the house all winter, it was a very mild winter.

This year we are close to using the wood bin, we have two pick up loads left, each truck load gets us 10 days of heat, in this cold weather.

I am sure the cold will break soon, the sun is out longer and longer each day this time of year.

I may have to get off my ass and get out there and cut some more wood if the cold weather hangs into mid March.

When the mid March weather breaks a truck load will get us twice as long, and we let the fire go out for a half day at a time.

Tick Tock planting season is coming.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have not put a winter in at my new home in Nevada yet. Its cold there in the winter, I've been there in Dec/Jan
a lot and you don't need to go far into the hills for snow. Fortunately we don't get any on the "floor" as we call it
the flat land. There is almost no wood to speak of though in our area, we'd have to drive 20/30 miles to the
nearest tree line - practically Oregon - or so far up its not an easy drive.

My "rich" brother bought a diesel generator and we keep several hundred gallons on site. We have propane too
with a large rental tank which is a "deal" as far out as we are - we call up - they come out and fill it up. We have
enough vegetation to create some bio diesel - I'm going to be curious to see how that goes over in the generator.
If it goes over fine - we're fine - never ending supply of stock for that.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Used less wood this year. Real mild winter in Oregon so far. Its 60 today. Thats rare for this time of year. I wont have to collect any wood for next year I saved so much. I do have a secondary heating system. Low energy type so I only need to use my blast furnace fireplace when the temps drop real low.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I just noticed that today, using more wood than last year. We just never seem to get above 30 for more than a day or two. Then right back below zero.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts