Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been asked before but what wouldn't you do after everything goes crazy?

Example: Would you put down a terminally ill person in your group to save resources? Would you eat human flesh to survive? Would you steal from others to save your group?

Stuff like that.

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
I hope my preps preclude the idea of cannibalism as well as stealing from my neighbors oranyone else for that matter. An abandoned house would be another matter if there was no other way. But then again, it easy to be an arm chair quarterback.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There are lines that would have to be drawn...Do we kill those who to kill or raid us in desperate times I say yes.. Do we kill other people for their stuff, No... Do we kill people to save food..NO, do we eat people no.. I think the obvious is that if we keep the rules in place that make us civilized, then the rest the things needed to survive will come either in skill or by nature...If we ever had to rebuild we would need a foundation to build upon..

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I would not chew my own arm off for a meal, I know that, but everything else is questionable. I've asked the cannibal question myself on other forums years ago and think I could if it came to it. But I know theory and the reality of a situation are two different things. There's so much to eat in animal, fish, insect and plant life that so many just don't consider being confined to particular lines of thought, unless the world is literally barren around me, I can't see the need to. That's not to say it may not be prudent to let a body go to waste in what it could feed animals or fertilize a field though.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm not sure what I would do. I'm pretty darned sure I'd never resort to cannibalism, especially given that there's so many other forms of meat out there... if you ever venture over to those "other" survivalist forums, I'd highly recommend avoiding this question. Most people there are pretty convinced they'd eat you even if there was a box of KD sitting right next to ya.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've got enough variety of food in my yard that I don't think I'd want to eat human again.

I've even planted stuff that I'm not a big fan of, just for variety, so I don't get bored of just one thing day in day out.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I know that under extreme conditions morals become distorted and I fully expect that would happen. If I was staving and my brother was laying there dead would I let that source go to waste? No, but I would make that choice out of respect for him and myself. (we spent a lot of time back-packing into some of the wildest wilderness you can imagine and actually discussed cannibalism) I wouldn't kill a human for food but I might feed on a dead human to survive.

Stealing what might keep another person alive? I don't think so (I hope not) but scavenging for abandoned food? Sure. I am well enough prepared that those choices may never have to be made but I have still thought about them. I am geared toward self sufficiency and there isn't much I can't provide. What I can't grow or raise I will be able to barter for and getting to know the "neighbors" helps a lot.

Reactions: Fuzzee and indie

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Probably been asked before but what wouldn't you do after everything goes crazy?

Example: Would you put down a terminally ill person in your group to save resources? Would you eat human flesh to survive? Would you steal from others to save your group?

Stuff like that.
Some people have had my back. Come hell or high water I've got theirs!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I wouldn't put a person down to save resources - I might if they wanted to be free of the suffering more than they wanted to live. I can understand that feeling - I lived it for 42 years. There were quite a few times in those years where I seriously considered swallowing a load of buckshot. If not for the love of those around me I am sure I would not be around today. I just couldn't leave them with the guilt and pain so I kept it to myself.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I wouldn't eat old people. Yuck!

But I'll eat the young ones. They're still tender. :grin:

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got enough variety of food in my yard that I don't think I'd want to eat human again.

I've even planted stuff that I'm not a big fan of, just for variety, so I don't get bored of just one thing day in day out.
So does that mean you've eaten a human at one time Kevin? :eek:

Reactions: kevincali

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
So does that mean you've eaten a human at one time Kevin? :eek:
I've been to many different places. Eaten with many different people and enjoyed many cultures food. Some of which had a distinct taste, and an unrecognizable texture/form. I often kid that I ate human mainly because it wasn't minty like dog, and not meaty like beef.

I once played "guess that meat" and if I couldn't guess it in 3 tries, I had to eat it. Worst place I ate was in Mexico. Not the tourist attraction places. But the dirt roads, desert Mexico. Real Mexico. I had a nopalito/perrito burrito. The cactus was fine.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wouldn't put a person down to save resources - I might if they wanted to be free of the suffering more than they wanted to live. I can understand that feeling - I lived it for 42 years. There were quite a few times in those years where I seriously considered swallowing a load of buckshot. If not for the love of those around me I am sure I would not be around today. I just couldn't leave them with the guilt and pain so I kept it to myself.
A Man (Cap intentional) makes that call. There is one more reason I respect you Paul.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not an easy thing to have on your shoulders. I commend you for your strength

1 - 20 of 39 Posts