Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in search of a knife as good as a mora knife for the same price, or near the same price.

Does anyone know of any?

·
Registered
168 Posts
You want a knife like a Mora for the same price as a Mora? Why not get a Mora? As I understand it, they are exactly like Moras and cost exactly the same. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Those are knock offs of Moras. Mora knives are made in mora, Sweden by Morakniv. The company has been around since 1891.
They literally have about a hundred or so different styles/models that they make so mora isn’t really a style of knife. If you tell someone you bought a new Mora, they have no idea what it looks like but they do know the quality.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
I have two inexpensive Mora's.
They both have Morakniv stamped on the blade.

I always thought it was just short for Morakniv .

Dunno.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
From my research, all I can find for knives in the same style/category...are called "Mora-style".

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mora is a brand/manufacturer, like Buck. Looking like a Buck does not make it one. Moras are known for being quality blades. Not so for the imitators. If you just want something cheap that you will never have to rely on, get a knockoff I guess. But if you are paying the same price, why get anything less?

·
Registered
168 Posts
From Wiki:
Once again, Mora is not a style any more than Buck is a style. That sentence means they make knives that look like some that Mora makes. Look up Mora and select images. You will find everything from short to long blades. Wooden handles of different designs, rubber handles, plastic handles, different points…

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Once again, the brand name has become part of the vernacular.

Bubble wrap
Velcro
Styrofoam
Dumpster
Super glue
Linoleum
Weed eater
Band-aid
Xacto
Teflon
Romex
Cellophane
Kerosene
Trampoline
Zipper
Astroturf
Jetski
Mace
Lycra
Taser
Vice grip
Wire nut
Spackle
Shop vac
Kitty litter

ad nasuem ad infinitum

If you wish to argue semantics, go right ahead. It will be without me.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Mora is a brand/manufacturer
From what I can tell, Mora is the shortened version of Morakniv .

It's like saying Chevy is a separate company from Chevrolet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From what I can tell, Mora is the shortened version of Morakniv .

It's like saying Chevy is a separate company than Chevrolet.
Yes. And no company other than Chevrolet makes a Chevy. You will never find a Chevy truck made by Kia.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Yes. And no company other than Chevrolet makes a Chevy. You will never find a Chevy truck made by Kia.

I'm missing something then. You seem to be implying Mora is the manufactuer when in fact it's Morakniv .

Mora is a brand/manufacturer, like Buck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Morakniv is the manufacturer of all “Moras”. There are other companies that make knives that look like this made by Morakniv company/Mora, but they are not Moras. As you said, Mora is the shortened name of Morakniv. Knives made by Morakniv are called “Mora knives”. Back pack hack is saying other companies make Moras and that it is a style. That is just not true.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
I've never (ever) heard anyone refer to a "Mora-style" knife as a Mora.
Sheltered life I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts