Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have either of these and want to get something small and not too heavy.

Any suggestions as to brand, power, etc? Had a binocular a few years back but it was so big and heavy, I couldn't hold it steady. Gave it away.

·
Super Moderator
9,381 Posts
Everything is a trade off. Big bulky binoculars have a wide field of view. Small, pocket sized binoculars have a small field of view, but carry easily.

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
I bought Steiner a a few years back better magnification than The standard military steiner. 8x 50. They work well. Buy the best glass you can afford. Cheap binoculars are dark and not sharp. It makes it hard to see things be it game animals or an adversary especially in low light. You get what you pay for. Swarovski is awesome . Especially those with built in range finders. Zeiss makes a good set of smaller binoculars.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Small and not to heavy, easy to carry more times than not you'll be opting for a monocular. My favorite monocular is my Flir especially for night scouting, plus you can store them relatively easily. I've looked through a lot of binos, one of my favorite pair have been a set of fixed Nikon's with a light adjustment. Don't know what model they are but are fairly small and quite inexpensive. There's been a lot of quality magnification devices on the Market, I'm a big fan of Vortex. My best advice is go in to a Bass Pro or major chain and take an hour to be a pain in the counter guy's butt. No one will be able to determine the best glass for you except you.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a original Bosch & Lomb 8x36 Custom that serves me well, B&L was bought out by Bushnell and they may still be good quality for your needs.
I had been thinking about the Nikon Travelite 10x25 about 9 ounces and if I wanted a Monocular it might be the Vortex Solo 10x25 it only weighs 5.6 Oz, either one would work for me, but it depends what you use it for and the price range.

If you have a Basspro in your area you might go and look thru some of there items, once you find what you like compare the price to Camera land which is on of the vendors here.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, sometimes luck just wins out. I have just been given a binocular, not the best but certainly better than what I had (nothing). At least it buys me some time to look around. Lots of good advice here,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts