Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Truck Automotive tire

My wife and I own a very small fabrication company in Tucson AZ. About three years ago I was contracted to make a "fuel reclamation" trailer for a major rental car company, long story short, they did not purchase all of the trailers that I built. I have 50 or so of them left and they have been just sitting at my shop.

A few months ago my brother-in law had me fabricate one of them into a two tank storage unit. The larger (500 gallon) tank holds diesel fuel for a generator and his pickup, then we added a second smaller (250 gallon) tank made of food grade stainless steel to store water. He took the trailer to his bug out property in south Texas. He has been on a steady rotation regimen and the trailer is working out great for him.

After seeing his successes, I came up with an idea of a bug out trailer for the preparedness community. The idea is to provide a safe and effective way to transport and store large volumes of fuel and water, as well as offering some customizable features. I started a web site to show the unit. HOME.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements or is interested in a trailer please PM or call me for information.

Thank you in advance,

Eric Johnson

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been asked for such trailers before. I am glad to see some here, I will save this for the next time I am asked.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
DOT has strict regulations about how much fuel can be transported down the road by the average citizen. Do these tanker trailers fall within those guidelines? I don't know what the limits are, I just know they exist.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great idea and use of materials.

DOT has strict regulations about how much fuel can be transported down the road by the average citizen. Do these tanker trailers fall within those guidelines? I don't know what the limits are, I just know they exist.
As far as regulations on fuel must states are going to say anything over 500 gallons has to be listed. But in a shtf scenario screw the DOT

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
suggestion, maybe a propane storage area/cage, as it's a "support trailer"
and maybe a power source... (this is dicey with fuel but you will work out something safe) outside that, your too far away for me to order lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey sparky, When we first started building the trailers we found that if the trailers are used for a commercial purpose then they must be pulled a person with a haz-mat endorsement on their license. This does not apply for personal use. All of the trailers were built to strict dot standards. The tanks are UL listed and come with all of the required vents and vapor systems, 4 fire extinguishers instead of just one, and the required DOT placards. The trailers have VIN numbers and are cheaply registered. I believe they are perfect for the community.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions pheniox, we can put an axillary storage basket on the rear of the trailer for propane tanks, we have installed a generator on the tongue. We did some research and found that as long as the power source was on the exterior of the trailer that it posed no safety threat to the tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Spacemax, the tanks and trailers are new and have never had fuel in them. The 500 gallon tank is steel and the water tanks are made from food grade stainless. If someone had a desire for the 500 gallon tank to hold potable water, I found a company that makes a food grade "blow-up" liner that we could put in to the tank for that purpose. We can also build a smaller fuel tank if someone wanted that as well. Pretty much the sky is the limit on these

·
Registered
560 Posts
Anybody interested should give this guy a call. Super nice guy and will answer any questions you have. Enjoyed our conversation Eric and thanks!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Only problem I see is the tank is just to big. Maybe make not so oblivious, smaller tank or box it in. Would draw attention going down the road and make you the main target. Plus DOT wouldn't know it's there.
I know if I was out of fuel sitting along side the road I would quickly expend some resources to get my hands on that. .
Otherwise great idea.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Great Job..Looks Good!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chipper, thanks for the input, as a matter of fact BamaBoy and I were just discussing those two things yesterday. I absolutely can box in the tank or put a lower profile square tank so that it is less noticeable. Pretty much the sky is the limit. I really believe that each of the trailers should be a true custom unit that is built to each customers taste and specifications.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Only problem I see is the tank is just to big. Maybe make not so oblivious, smaller tank or box it in. Would draw attention going down the road and make you the main target. Plus DOT wouldn't know it's there.
I know if I was out of fuel sitting along side the road I would quickly expend some resources to get my hands on that. .
Otherwise great idea.
Ya! It needs a 50-cal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is such a great idea. I wish I'd encountered this a few years back. At my cabin in North Georgia, I've got a 500 gallon tank and at my home, I have a 350. When I was growing up we lived on a farm and always had fuel tanks. I love not having to haul fuel in Jerry Cans for tractors, lawn equipment, etc. This trailer is awesome.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Otherwise great idea.
in my eyes its a perfect mobile "base" station set up, stores fuel, water, and room to move (with added power generation, and maybe a small storage tray for tents etc) if your bugging out as a group, 2 or 3 of these will be gold...

if you're planning to "bug out" to a in the hills location, and have a small group with similar plans.....
this trailer is cheap enough, work with builder with "improvements" and bingo shtf you're mobile... able to set up a "small camping" base and in the turms of prepping, you're laughing (oh if you can't use desal, talk about petrol, you need a fuel stabilizer... and it will store for some time)

if only he was local..... (oops pinching some of the design :p )

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.