Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just my 2 cents but I think the site should implement some kind of rule or minumal post guide line for posting wares on the site. I know several other forums I frequent require you to have so many non spam post to be able to try and sell your stuff vs having people have there first few post trying to pawn there crap off on someone else. Just throughing this out there as I have not seen this recomended here.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I've seen it done on many forums, but I also don't think its as easy as pushing a few buttons? You basically have to program the forum not to let anyone into the classifieds area until they reach (x) posts but that doesn't prevent a spammer to register, post their wares in the general forum, and then bolt. So is it really worth it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen it done on many forums, but I also don't think its as easy as pushing a few buttons? You basically have to program the forum not to let anyone into the classifieds area until they reach (x) posts but that doesn't prevent a spammer to register, post their wares in the general forum, and then bolt. So is it really worth it?
I think so, makes it easer for the mods to delete without question.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't see a problem, there are daily ads but it doesn't distract from the site

·
Registered
904 Posts
I pretty much ignore anyone who is trying to sell something if they haven't been posting for a while. I'll leave it up to the Mod's to solve this issue if it is one.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
WAIT- theres other forums out there?
In my opinion- which aint nothing but my opinion- the sale area is the sale area, thats what its for, anyone can post there, I guess as long as you register. If someone is jumping in threads, and saying "check out my new latedatie", then yeah they should be smacked around, but Its kinda like a library, if you dont like books, dont go to the library..Or like stripclubs- or the well, nevermind..
And i wouldn't buy from someone that was "new", without doing some research..I posted on Craigslist That I was willing to help land/ranch owners do labor for hunting rights, and you should see some of the responses I got...PERVERTS and scammers..

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I can't see me sending money to an individual who's only post is an item(s) for sale. No history.

It's a shame to, the guy with the first aid supplies has a couple of good deals on some things I wouldn't mind having.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Maybe '762 has more insight than the rest of us. I can see someone programming an algorithm that hits many forums at one time pushing some fraudulent device. So a problem I do not see now might be a bid annoyance in the future. It is worth the operators here keeping in mind.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the people pawning there junk come and go, I have used forums online for differnet thing for about the last 15 years. just see it as another defence to keep them from posting at all. I guess just a little pet peve of mine.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I don't see a big problem.. I have been on boards since 1998/99 when I was one several bodybuilding message boards. People are going to come on to sell stuff, it is up to the members to decide if they want to buy it. It is just smart business for a seller to go to where the buyers are. That being said, be careful there are plenty of scammers out there! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.. But I don't really want to be a hall monitor telling people they can't sell here. Just be smart and you should be ok..

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...-hucksters-trolls-nigerian-bankers-oh-my.html

Hey...

I see people hopping on here and with in three or four posts, they have something to sell. Then the community gets their panties in a bunch (guilty myself) and the whole thing goes down hill.

These people selling goods after just a hand-full of posts fall into one of two categories:
1. Honest folks with something positive to contribute and that something just happens to be for sale.
2. Hucksters, trolls, scammers, Nigerian Bankers, etc.

I looked at the rules and I didn't see a minimum post count before offering an item for sale. Other boards I participate in, require you to have 50+ posts before you can use the site for revenue generation. It would seem that is an unwritten social norm here too, but to the uninitiated, this concept may be foreign. It isn't fair of us to go on treating honest folks like Nigerian Bankers with out having set that expectation in writing.

I would ask that the administrators adopt a formal policy on the matter. Just like two groups of people (Honest and Hucksters), there are two directions.
A. People can post stuff for sale as their first post and the rest of the members can get over it - caveat emptor. If you can be positive then you can participate in the discussion. If you can't, then just move on. (This is the position I've adopted)
B. Post a minimum thread count in the rules and guidelines for the site so these people at least have the opportunity to know better. Those that make an honest mistake are likely to apologize for it and get in line, those that are hucksters, trolls, scammers, and Nigerian Bankers will likely move on.

This is just a thought. One mans late Sunday musings over a bottle of beer and nothing more. I think the Admins do a GREAT job and ultimately this is THEIR SITE so I'm happy either way.

Note: No Nigerian Bankers were harmed in the making of this post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts