Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to introduce myself. I been in the military for a little over 12 years and within the last 2 years have come to the realization that this is not the same world that I grew up in. That realization has spurred my change of interests. So with that, I would like for you guys to assess my current prepping health and provide criticisms/advice.

Homestead

I live on a military base. It gives me access to the necessities (food/gas) without allowing outsiders in.

Water

I bought a 5 gallon water dispenser and currently have two 5 gallon jugs. Additionally, I have another 25 gallons stored to go along with about 500 purification tablets.

Food

Best estimate is that I have between 1-2 months saved up. I do have a decent garden and an Aero Garden for spices. Next week we'll attempt canning our first 24 jars.

Vehicles

I drive a Ford Excursion and my wife a Yukon Denali. Also, a 4x8 trailer that needs axle work. The negative is that I only have a total of 7 gallons in gas cans.

Weapons

I own a 1911 .45, a martin compound bow, and every type of blade that you could imagine. Both of my sons have compound bows as well.

May I add, I am currently debt free and looking for retirement property in Ohio. This seems to be my biggest focus at the moment. I want to buy when the market is still favorable but have concerns about carrying living expenses at two places and maintaining my current lifestyle.

Thanks for your assessments,

Protect this House

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
First, Welcome. Second, Ohio? Really? I'm from there originally. I'd buy property in Hell first, right next door to the devil himself. Living on a base, I'm assuming you have to turn your private firearms into the armory. So that does you no good. However, if SHTF, by default, you'll be surrounded by lots of people with guns. I'm assuming you are more than familiar with the M-16 so get yourself an AR-15.

Gas/supplies will last as long as anywhere else, though re-supply will be very likely, understanding that the troops needs come first.

Your vehicles are good as far as I can see. Get that trailer axle fixed. You can carry a lot of gear on it. And don't let them know you're holding onto that much gas in base housing. I'm sure somewhere, that's a no-no.

Keep going on the food supply, canning, stuff like that. Always good to have those skills for life after the military.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the site, first off, I'd like to thank you for your service to our country. I am no prepper expert, but I would suggest adding a shotgun and long range rifle to my weapon stores. If your sons are old enough I'd get them the same. Bows and knifes are great to have, but wouldn't be my first choice, if forced to defend my family. People might differ from my opinion, but I think I'd get the same gauge/caliber for all the weapons, a lot cheaper keep stocked. I'd consider 12 gauge shotguns, and .308 rifles.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm retired military. You being active duty are already fully prepped. When SHTF you will be given everything you need to survive.

As for your family, food, medicine and a bug out route/plan. When it happens you will be deployed and they will have to fend for them selves. Resources on base will last longer then elsewhere, I don't foresee looting on base and as long as it is not abandoned, it will be resupplied so bugging in may be a better option.

However if it is abandoned, it will be ransacked by every civilian in the area picking over it's bones looking for weapons and anything else left behind that will help them survive. At that point it will be the most dangerous spot to be. Picking the right time to bug out is a tough call.

Part of your bug out plan needs to be using the least used gate, or the one that is always locked and never opened on the back side of the base where no one ever goes. You know the one, no guard shack, just a chain and a padlock.

Get in the habit to never let your gas tank get below 1/4. When I was stationed at Langley, if a hurricane came, 1/4 tank would at least get me to Richmond which was far enough from the coast not to be all sold out and what not.

In your post you said "Homestead". Is that where your stationed? Then they probably have an alternate base for you to evacuate to in case of hurricane. Consider using that in your evacuation route/planning for resupply.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas. Do you live "on" base, or in base housing located outside of the gates? Either way, you have a head start on like minded neighbors. This will be critical if you are deployed and the family is stuck in a bug in. If your housing is actually on base you alrfeady know the hassles of owning and storing a weapon. It's usually easier if your housing is located off base.

Keep chipping away at water storage and/or finding a safe manner to resupply if it possible. Same with food. a couple of months is a great start, but the more the better. Always remember the weight limitations for household goods with regards to PCS moves, however.

The 1911 is a great sidearm, but you already know it's limitations. I would suggest a shotgun next, and then a rifle. Each needs an ammo supply as well.

·
Administrator
15,449 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Welcome and I am sure there is much we would agree on.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Welcome and I am sure there is much we would agree on.
Retired 11Z5M fancy way to say 11B with a diamond

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Welcome from Southern Minnesota. Thank you for your service. I use a lot of milk jugs and vinegar jugs for water storage. It's easier for me to transport that way, as I'm able to carry them easier. Even 2 liter pop bottles, when I have them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts