Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm a military vet (Army) who is looking for a good military charity to contribute to. I've done some research and have found a few that seem okay, but was wondering if any of you have had experiences (good and bad) with certain charities. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

--Ian

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with silverback,Wounded warrior. I also donate some time to there events one solider to other, not one undersands like a bother. Hooah

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Good question it seems everyone of them no madder how good they start out. Turn into a money making deal for those that run it.

Reactions: Just Sayin'

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
They all seem to have become like most charities.
Most of the funds never get to the ones who need them, but rather to hire big money spokesmen, and to "overhead".

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Good question it seems everyone of them no madder how good they start out. Turn into a money making deal for those that run it.
There are laws that govern the moneys collected for a non-profit corporation. They can't pay out more than 10% of the gross income to employees. Most don't even have paid employees. I ran a faith based non-profit for seven years and was never reimbursed for any expenses. I never took a salary and still I got that same message that I was somehow milking the funds. When I took the business on there was no money, no accounts, nothing but a legacy of poor performance. I incorporated as a 501C3 and kept meticulous books, and went from zero funds to having a gross income of $12000 for operating expenses at the end of the seventh year. It was enough to do what we intended to do but we had to fight the image of "money making" the whole way. I retired from the position and it was handed over to a business woman that I knew and trusted. As I understand it they are still keeping above water with only volunteers working.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
i know it's not local to you guys but there is one here called the RSL they focus mainly on ex servicemen but are also improve the community as a whole, the run pubs/restaurants that act as a club, and most of the profits go back into the community

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
There are laws that govern the moneys collected for a non-profit corporation. They can't pay out more than 10% of the gross income to employees. Most don't even have paid employees. I ran a faith based non-profit for seven years and was never reimbursed for any expenses. I never took a salary and still I got that same message that I was somehow milking the funds. When I took the business on there was no money, no accounts, nothing but a legacy of poor performance. I incorporated as a 501C3 and kept meticulous books, and went from zero funds to having a gross income of $12000 for operating expenses at the end of the seventh year. It was enough to do what we intended to do but we had to fight the image of "money making" the whole way. I retired from the position and it was handed over to a business woman that I knew and trusted. As I understand it they are still keeping above water with only volunteers working.
Ok and they don't find ways around that. I have been around to long . There have been a bunch of so called 5013c's that have not played by the rules in the news. Many Non profits are pretty good money makes for those that run it.
Just one of many scams out here. Still getting away with it
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...fonda-800g-charity-made-any-gifts-since-2006/
Red Cross is another they pay out some big bucks to them self.
United way another with the ones in charge getting rich off it.
Wound warrior has generated some bad press with payments also.
I try to stick with groups I have some say in .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your feedback guys; I'm still doing my research. Transparency is a major factor with me; I want to make sure that most of the funds are going to help our wounded troops and the families of the fallen.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I used to donate quite a bit to charities then got away from it when I was a little older and wiser. I just got sick of seeing the board members taking so much. Now I usually just keep my ear to the ground and when I come across a family or something that needs it. I give it to them directly. I know it doesn't get spread around but I feel better that way.. I do like ot give to the boot drives for firefighters though. That is about the only "organized" one I give to..

BK

·
Registered
559 Posts
I did a ton of research a while back and settled on Operation Homefront. Operation Homefront

This was after receiving two first hand bad reviews and seeing that wounded warriors only uses like 60% of funds on the charity - rest goes to fundraising/fees/payroll (a good charity will spend high 90% on the charity. WW used to be top notch but ...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The AER is a good one.
Many years ago I read where A Red cross director in CA was paid 250 K a year plus a limo and driver .
Then found out it was common . I would not give a dime to Red cross or United way.
Non profit does not mean some are not taking home huge paychecks and benefits.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you receive help from the Red Cross you are likely to also receive a bill for that help too. This seems to be standard practice with individuals unless an emergency is declared before you get help. I quit donating to a lot of charities because of their practices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man - I hear what you guys are saying, and have heard a ton of horror stories like yours Smitty where people are getting away with murder (as far as lots and lots of money) when our troops are suffering. Really pisses me off!

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Let me get my flame suit on here, . . . but I have heard that the Wounded Warrior Project is nothing but a sham.

According to some of the stuff I have read, . . . do not know the veracity of it but here is one link:

Wounded Warriors Project A Legal Scam | Veterans Today

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
We gave a big fat check to Wounded Warrior after reviewing their history.

·
Administrator
15,006 Posts
Reactions: Smitty901

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have always heard the American Legion was a good cause. If I'm not mistaken, the American Legion spends a LOT of their money on burn children. I just have got away from the "organized' charities.. Back in the late 90's when I was married, my fiance and I had a house fire. You hear about it in the news and on tv but never think it would happen to YOU.. Well, it did. We lost everything but what we were wearing on our backs. The entire town was donating to Red Cross for us after they seen it on the news and heard about it from people. The red cross gave us a $20 voucher to K Mart and 2 days in a hotel... After they were given thousands of dollars...Red Cross is one of the worst of them IMO....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts