Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got mice. I guess it will be an ongoing battle that comes with having a house surrounded by fields. I need to walk the outside and make sure I have all entrances blocked.

Had one run across the floor between me and the dog.. the dog just watched him run past.....

guess we need cats (my older son is allergic to cats so I joke)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Trap them. Many ways to do it but it's a constant battle that never stops.

We don't have any pets or animals so I cover the floors with poison of different types. It always disappears yet I have mice all the time. Figured I got them all this spring after all winter with poison on the ground. Nope couple weeks and have mice crap on the work bench again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There is a product called Fresh Cab, 4 pouches to a box.
It works
The smell is not at all unpleasent, mice hate it.
Find and remove any nests they may have made .

I used it in my trailer at hunt camp when mice got in., they haven't returned.

I have read that putting pepper in the place they come in, will repel them. Have not tried it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I befriended a feral cat years ago and now we have a deal. I allow him to live in my garage and I feed him and in return he takes care of any rodents. Only problem is no matter where he finds them outside he likes to present them to me dead on the garage floor .

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I befriended a feral cat years ago and now we have a deal. I allow him to live in my garage and I feed him and in return he takes care of any rodents. Only problem is no matter where he finds them outside he likes to present them to me dead on the garage floor .
That means the cat has plenty to eat so it's sharing with you. Cut back on the food you supply.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
It takes a brave mouse or rat to make it past my cat. I cant hardly find any to shoot with my adult pellet gun. My wife is allergic to cats too so old Pepe La Pew hangs out with me in the mancave or on the front porch when he aint out busy chasing lady cats or catching rodents. He knows not to catch birds since that gets him squirted with water hose. Cats are pretty smart in some areas.
Wood Hardwood Tail Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,036 Posts
I second the poison stations and sticky traps. We really have to be diligent about refilling the bait stations, because mice reproduce so quickly that if we let the traps go empty, we're back to square one. It's worth it to go for the rat traps (mice like the rat traps, too!) in case you get something bigger down the line.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I got mice. I guess it will be an ongoing battle that comes with having a house surrounded by fields. I need to walk the outside and make sure I have all entrances blocked.

Had one run across the floor between me and the dog.. the dog just watched him run past.....

guess we need cats (my older son is allergic to cats so I joke)

Taking steps is good, but still the risk is there. Just make sure they can't get to your supplies! We've got cats - and they're hunters, and even insect-eaters - but I still don't want to take any chances. All my grains/oats are (double-bagged), and kept in plastic containers with spices strewn in.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Krinkle

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hate sticky traps. I've found more beneficial lizards stuck in them and it's so sad. I've stopped using them, but if I ever did find a mouse in one, I'd put it under my car tire and run over it rather than have it lie there suffering for days.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I first saw a YouTube video on a 5 gallon bucket mouse trap lid and then looked it up on eBay. Here is the best price that I found: Smart Continuous Mouse Rat Trap Plastic Flip N Slide Bucket Lid Mouse Rat Trap | eBay
the above one works and a variant of it using a metal mesh thick screen and a PVC pipe that extends down through the mesh by several inches so they can't climb out. Both of these traps work great as it doesn't kill the mice so you end up getting more mice caught in the bucket.

Sticky traps work great, i suggest that you don't fold them into a box and just leave them flat on the ground in troubled areas.
A combination of potato flaxes, sugar, and baking soda will kill them. Adding Borax to that mixture will simply kill them faster if you don't have pets and kids that is.

I also sprinkle ( ok pour) Cayenne pepper behind the stove, frig, and food shelves to deter them too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts