Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the sporting goods shop today, there were the metal ammo cans and then they had the hard plastic ammo cans. Both had the O rings intact.

My thoughts is to get the metal ones because of EMP in case I need to put electronics in them, as well as being more durable. I really haven't seen any added benefit of the plastic ones except they are light weight. I figure anything plastic and with movable parts would break over time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm with you on that man, the plastic will probably break or it'll get brittle, the metal ones might be heavy but they are obviously built to last.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I am glad that I am not the only one crazy enough to think about this type of question. Thank you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just remember, every "crazy" thought you have, about 5million others have already had the same one :)

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
938 Posts
I actually prefer the plastic ammo cans. I use Plano field boxes. They don't rust or require sanding & repainting like the metal ammo cans. They are lighter, have brass latches (again, no rust) and are very low maintenance to keep.

The metal cans have better handles. Plastic can break, but metal can dent. In the end I went with plastic because of lower upkeep requirements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have both and don't see a draw back to either of them really. The plastic ones that I keep around I use for keeping regularly rotated ammo in and the metal ones all have long term stock in them.

To each their own.:)

Reactions: survival

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
The metal ones with a good seal are waterproof. We had to stash some extra shells while duck hunting in a managed zone, overboard they went, attached to a decoy and cord.

·
Registered
436 Posts
All I've ever used are the metal type as plastic does little for me as a rule. The metal are heavier by a pound or two than the plastic but once filled with ammo regardless they are heavy.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i have both when they deliver my bulk ammo its usually in the metal ones. i dotn mind one way or another as i give them to the kids when i get too many and roatate my stock

·
Registered
936 Posts
Agreed. Plastic just doesn't cut it in my book.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have both when they deliver my bulk ammo its usually in the metal ones. i dotn mind one way or another as i give them to the kids when i get too many and roatate my stock
If you are buying bulk ammo you should seriously consider reloading. I sure does lower the costs and in my opinion you get better ammo better suited to your guns.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I only use mil-spec cans for ammo storage. They were relatively cheap around Bragg before I PCSed, are cheap around Riley, and are far more durable than most plastic cans. They're also easy to repaint, and re-stencil, which helps when I'm trying to repack them for storage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a bunch of metal ammo boxes.
I am yet to ever needed to sand or repaint them.

They get thrown like a bag of garbage, used to step on.
I beat em to death. They like punishment like a feening crackhead.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If you are buying bulk ammo you should seriously consider reloading. I sure does lower the costs and in my opinion you get better ammo better suited to your guns.
thanks for the tip, but i have too much going on and live in a highrise in los angeles, so the set up, time and space needed for the hobby table just isnt something. i have more money than time. i have considered it, but reloading myself wouldnt meet my lifestyle. my gun range has a reloading room is people wanna use it for free with all the machines and stuff.
my friend owns a factory reload company in burbank. we meet often so i get my stuff at a super price.usually 1/4 to 1/5 of what the public pays. sometimes i score from cabelas when i need new ammo for classes or 22. most pro classes dont allow reload.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I gave reloading up for LENT. The pole barn has too much moisture in the winter, and too hot in the summer, unless I run the A/C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer the metal cans also.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Im a military guy who worked specifically with weapons and explosives daily even in routine day to day peace time operations at a weapons depot. I learned a few things about explosives during this time and how to safely store it for long term preservation. Uncle Sam has been playing this game for a long time. There is a reason they use the metal cans...day in day out they are more durable. They can set out on pallets in a open revetment under the tropical heat, the paint may fade but the sun doesnt make them brittle. They hold up better to temperture extremes as well. If the gasket seal is in tact they are water tight too. Cant tell you how many times on the ship, the space was flooded or the sprinkler system was accidently activated. We just sprayed them down with fresh water and restowed it, no problem.

Some may choose plastic but Bro, I am sticking with what I know will work come rain, sleet , snow or shine, and that would be metal ammo cans!

·
Registered
159 Posts
metal that way you can stack them and they wont break.
-Anthony

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Plastic is nice it don't rust. But the metal ones will last a few life times and ca be painted. Plastic can not support as much weight when stacked Metal keep stacking
As for weight when you fill them up they are heavy no madder what they are made of.
I own 2 plastic ones the rest at metal

1 - 20 of 36 Posts