happy holidays vs. merry Christmas

• happy holidays

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there seems to be some controversy over the use of Merry Christmas vs. happy holidays. My opinion is there is a lot of different religions and ways people believe, So if I don't know them I use happy holidays the others I use Merry Christmas that way I don't offend any one.
Your thoughts

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
When I say "merry Christmas", it is my wish to you. Since I am Christian, it is only correct that I say "merry Christmas", not "happy holidays". If you choose not to accept my good wishes for you, that is your choice. If you choose to admonish me for offering them in the first place, be prepared to be punched in the face because you are acting like an ungrateful hippie.

Merry Christmas to all of yous.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I use Merry Christmas. However, I am not offended at all by someone who wishes me Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanza, Happy Chanukah, or anything else. It is just nice for a change for strangers to NOT be total butt-holes, and say anything nice. Not sure if I spelled those right.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has never made any difference too me what term was used If someone says happy holidays I say the same back, if its merry Christmas then I use that term but it is an automatic reaction. For the longest time I would always say have a good holiday or a good Christmas, so what? it all means the same. I have used happy holidays too strangers or store employees because it is a generic term and if they are not of the Christian faith I have not offended.
Now I will make a martini or four.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
It is Merry Christmas that is what this is about. Should someone chose not to engage in it fine that is their right.
But it is Merry Christmas

Reactions: sargedog

·
Registered
496 Posts
When I say "merry Christmas", it is my wish to you. Since I am Christian, it is only correct that I say "merry Christmas", not "happy holidays". If you choose not to accept my good wishes for you, that is your choice. If you choose to admonish me for offering them in the first place, be prepared to be punched in the face because you are acting like an ungrateful hippie. Merry Christmas to all of yous.
Thank you! Just re-ordered my Christmas cards for next year. The artwork on the outside cover is of a sleigh with footsteps leading from it to the doors of a Church, the inside is of Santa kneeling before the manger. Our salutation that I had added above our names states, "Christ is the reason!"

Reactions: sargedog and Inor

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is Merry Christmas
If you choose to run your mouth it's Merry Kissmyass

Most I run into that are not Christians still say thank you or same to you.
As one mentioned, as a Christian there is no other way to say it.

I can say with my meager 42 yrs experience. Every year the people that I hear "surprise" in their voice increases. Not for the content of the word's, but because someone said something kind to them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We usually make our gifts for Christmas. I knit scarves, blankets, bake banana bread, color ornaments, paintings, woodwork, sew quilts,etc. It is especially more meaningful considering you can go out and buy just about anything for anyone at Wallyworld. I can buy anything I want for myself but if it takes your precious time then it means so much more. The meaning of Christmas is joy, hope and love. The birth of Jesus and the hope it brought to the earth. The magic of how it feels giving presents to loved ones and feeling a little nicer to strangers. We are the people we want to be more this time of year than any other time. If you don't believe in it then don't celebrate it. But if I say Merry Christmas to you and you don't like it, don't try to silence me and my cheer. Go Bah humbug somewhere else...

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Nurseholly,
My wife and I make gifts for each other. We find it more satisfying in both the giving and in the receiving.

I find it odd though that not even all Christians celebrate Christmas. I know that Christmas was added to the list of holy days to get the pagans to join in at yule and that it has nothing to do with the actual birth of Christ but it is both a celebration of Christ's birth and a time to get together with friends and family to enjoy the love and peace of the season.

Merry Christmas to you and yours - and everyone who celebrates it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
@ NurseHolly thanks for reminding me of banana bread, that's the only thing my wife hasn't made this year.

It will ALWAYS be Merry Christmas from this guy, I never been one that was a touchy feely kind of guy. So if it hurts your feeling if I say Merry Christmas not my problem. There are very few people I care about their feelings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.