Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a challenge that most of us should be able to whip together by memory.

Share a 3 day menu plan for 1 person capable of fitting into a 5 gallon buck( so space and weight is not as restrictive as a BOB)

Here goes:
9 x 710ml pop bottles with distilled water and drops of bleach.
6 x Singles, water favoring for moral
6 x Singles, instant coffee
Sweetener and coffee whitener

Breakfast 1 - poptarts and trail mix
Breakfast 2 - oatmeal with chocolate protein powder
Breakfast 3 - fruit loops and single serving of milk in terra pack

Morning snack 1 - granola bar
Morning snack 2 - meal replacement bar
Morning snack 3 - dried fruit

Lunch1 - Canned chicken, sample size bbq sauce from dollar store. Rice cakes
Lunch2 = Canned beans, canned weiners
Lunch3 - Canned herring fillets, minute rice in a bag

Afternoon snack1 = pepper stick, grandma bar
Afternoon snack2 - almonds and protein bar
Afternoon snack3 - trail mix

Supper1 - canned ham, canned corn, rama noodles
Supper2 - mountain house meal
Supper 3 - potato flakes and gravy, canned turkey

Latenightsnack1- pork rinds
Latenightsnack2-caramel favoured rice cakes
Latenight snack3-pretzels

Other: multivitamins,plastic utensils, continent pkgs,antacid, hard candy, Clorets gum, Ibuprophen, 6 individual packs of tissues for napkins or TP.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Used to go back packing for 6-10 days with eight pounds mountain mahogany smoked filet mignon, a pound of hard parmesan and pound of hard Romano cheese, nuts and raisins, salt and pepper, coffee. Caught trout and shot grouse and squirrels to extend the trips. Running amuck in the high Sierra.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
3600 calorie S.O.S. bars. Individually wrapped, water proof packaging, 5 year shelf life, able to withstand extremes in temperatures, take up very little space.
Since cars here can reach extremely high temperatures in the summer, I wanted something in our GHBs that would not degrade as quickly as other foods.
Along with the SOS bars, are some hard candies to suck on and for a little sweet comfort.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea, can you list some of the general ingredients in the SOS bar? If it is temperature stable in the bar, then I would like to add those ingredients to my cheap DIY meals where ever it is practical.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I have some special K protein bars,some peanut butter and crackers,cheese and crackers, tuna in foil,4 or 5 bottles of water in stainless bottles.
I keep it in a igloo 12 pack cooler( ice cube) to help protect against the temperature extremes of Michigan

The furnace came on Wednesday morning.A/C in the afternoon.

Something like this as my model is not available anymore

http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Cooler-14-Can-Capacity-Ocean/dp/B0001AV5NK

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Some substitutes for your plan, which is a good one:

Chicken/crackers or tuna/crackers kits (dollar store)
Spam
Small cans salmon, anchovies, sardines
Dried cranberries or raisins
Individual wet wipes or alcohols (use before, not after)

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Lunch 3 sounds gross. I would definitely replace that with some Surstromming.

Mine is just mountain house meals. I keep them and a case of water in the toolbox in my pickup. I would like to get some of those lifeboat rations as well. It gets real hot down here in Texas so I'm very limited in what I can keep in my vehicles.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I also have spam and some wet wipes along with hand sanitizer. The cooler fills up quick and I actually eat out of it while out and about instead of the Golden Arches or the Border

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree that knowing what food you can pack into a tiny container for traveling may seem important.

But I think knowing how to survive off the land will be a much more advantageous skill that should be learned. Knowing the edible plants (summer & winter) in the area you plan to bug out to could save your life. It is impossible to carry enough food, water and rations for more than several days at best. After that, what are you going to do? Survival skills and a portable water purifier could save the day.

With my survival skills, my 22 rifle, several hundred rounds of ammo, knife, fire starting method and a water purifier and I'm good for months out there. It beats carrying around 10 buckets filled with provisions. The buckets are fine for short-term survival, but I'm planning for a bit longer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
3 cans Hormel chili and a case of beer. Plus whatever I can shoot or catch.
Only a case of beer? I guess I'll have to bring my own.

Hormel Chili? I'll bring my own tent too!

(and remember...........after the chili, stand down wind, and not too close to the campfire)

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the heat in a vehicle is a concern for me. I'm beginning to think that cans are a bad idea.

I just finished reading an article that stated that there are 4 things that influence shelf life:
- temperature
- light
- oxygen
- moisture.

So, I'm changing my approach. I'm going to redo my menu plan for dry goods that are stored in a light blocking cooler with oxygen absorbers and moisture disicants in each package.

Temperature control is darned near impossible so due diligence on the other 3 should maximize the shelf life

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
the heat in a vehicle is a concern for me. I'm beginning to think that cans are a bad idea.

I just finished reading an article that stated that there are 4 things that influence shelf life:
- temperature
- light
- oxygen
- moisture.

So, I'm changing my approach. I'm going to redo my menu plan for dry goods that are stored in a light blocking cooler with oxygen absorbers and moisture disicants in each package.

Temperature control is darned near impossible so due diligence on the other 3 should maximize the shelf life
Good plan. I have freezing temperatures to contend with, so cans are out for me also. I must also open all water bottles and dump out a little so they don't split open in winter.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Emergence kit in the cars has MRE's. Simple provide every thing you need 1 can carry you longer than a day if need be about 1300+ calories . Can be eaten hot of cold has own heat pack.
All you need is water.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Great idea, can you list some of the general ingredients in the SOS bar? If it is temperature stable in the bar, then I would like to add those ingredients to my cheap DIY meals where ever it is practical.
Sugar, flour, shortening, corn starch, wheat gluten, dextrose, coconut, corn syrup, vitamins. Fat 18g, Carbs 54g, Fiber 1g, Salt 15mg, Protein 8 gm.) I think a primary reason they last so long is that the packaging is vacume packed. Like most survival, high energy bars, they have a high fat content and that would quickly oxidize it not sealed in an O2 free packaging. They taste pretty good - like shortbread cookies with a little coconut. I especially like that the bars are individually wrapped. Many of the other bars are tightly packaged, but when you open up the package they all fall apart because they are not individually wrapped. There are 9 bars in a package, each having 410 calories, so 3600 calories per package. Each package weighs 1.6 pounds (756 grams) and they are very compact, measuring 5" X 4.5" X 2". They are a very easy "grab and run" type food and designed to sustain life in survival situations. Just have to be aware of the gluten.
SOS Emergency Food Ration | 3600 Calorie Food Bar

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't know if I want to spend that much on sugar, glutene and vegetable oil. Plus white flour is not good for my diabetes.

Besides, 3600 calories is closer to 1 days worth of calories than 3 days worth.

Which means an actual MRE has a better cost per 1000calories ratio.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I will tackle this problem 2 ways.
1 - my truck menu will be freeze dried and water free foods.
2 - I am going to expand my preps into my workplace. There's a file drawer in my desk that stays at room temperature. A workplace stash does nots replace a truck stash but it works very well as a complimenting stash.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
3600 calorie S.O.S. bars. Individually wrapped, water proof packaging, 5 year shelf life, able to withstand extremes in temperatures, take up very little space.
Since cars here can reach extremely high temperatures in the summer, I wanted something in our GHBs that would not degrade as quickly as other foods.
Along with the SOS bars, are some hard candies to suck on and for a little sweet comfort.
Thanks RNprepper. After some investigating, I purchased a 16-man/day package of the SOS food bars. Price was good. They are waterproof and Coast Guard approved for lifeboat rations, so they should be able to handle anything I can dream up.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I don't know if I want to spend that much on sugar, glutene and vegetable oil. Plus white flour is not good for my diabetes.

Besides, 3600 calories is closer to 1 days worth of calories than 3 days worth.

Which means an actual MRE has a better cost per 1000calories ratio.
If you are hunkered down, 1200 cal per day will enable you to survive. Yes, you will need a LOT more calories if you are hoofing it out. BUT.... the densely packed fat and carb bars are exactly what you need in that situation. Besides, they have the vitamins to prevent scurvy and rickets. Think about the rations that arctic explorers, Everest climbers, and past travelers used (pemmican is mostly fat). All rations are densely packed with fat and carbs. If you are in a survival mode, those carb calories are probably not going to bother your diabetes - you are going to need those calories to function and all bets are off anyway, when it comes to regulating your glucose levels in a SHTF scenario. If you are insulin dependent, life is going to be very tough and short (sorry, but true.) If you are a non-insulin dependent, Type 2 diabetic, all the weight you will lose in a SHTF situation will help a lot - you may even become non diabetic.

The S.O.S. bars are the best ones I could find for price, packaging, and serving the purpose for which they are intended - survival situations, whether in a life raft, stuck in a snow drift, or trying to get home after a disaster. They would get boring pretty darn fast if that's all you had for long term. But I don't have to worry about rotating them or finding that they turned rancid after being in a hot car or months on end. When We need to get home ASAP, these will be ideal for travel. I bought an extra case to use for barter or to give to someone passing through who needs some easy to carry travel food.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts