Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Survival situations are rarely convenient, and come at the most unexpected times. That is why it is important to remain mentally fit at all times.

Here are some tips to maintain "Mental Fitness".

• Exercise your mind on a regular basis - Crosswords & other Mental puzzles are helpful.
  • Study survival practices and make a list of your weak areas.
  • Study your weak areas and make a list of how to improve.
  • Make a plan on how you will implement those improvements.
  • Practice your survival skill sets and physically go through dry runs.

Recently on an educational camping trip with a Boys Corps group, one of the leaders tried to show the boys how to start a fire with a 9 volt battery and some steel wool.....however, he hadn't practiced it at home, and was unable to start a fire with it.

Mental readiness is having the confidence that you need in your current survival skill sets in order to survive in a crisis situation.

Watching survival shows on TV isn't going to prepare you any more that watching "Rambo" will make you a Special Forces hero!

Other thoughts on the subject??? Feel free to add your input to this thread....

"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." ~ Proverbs 27:17

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont know if there is much to add, other than thank you for bringing up a very valid and usually overlooked subject.

Reactions: dwight55

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you the owner of mountain man supply?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice Post...Thanks For The information.... :smile:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Practice is something I've been lacking recently... hopefully I can get in the woods a little more this coming year... Maybe I'll grab a fall/winter trip too...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Great post! I think one thing to add for mental preparation is to start thinking about some of the hard decisions you might be faced with if TSHTF. I won't tell you mine because they're too personal, but I think we will be faced with some choices we'd rather avoid. No sense trying to know what you'd do in advance, because I imagine we really can't know how it will be, but at least get your mind open to the fact that making choices for the good of a group, your family or yourself is likely to get very difficult in some situations.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Excellent and often overlooked topic.

Beyond just consciously thinking about a survival situation, it is even better if you can get into an unconscious habit of planning your survival situation. For example, I travel a LOT for business. When I check into a hotel I always have the same three steps that I go through in order, without exception:

1 - Take my bags to my room.

2 - Count off the paces from the door of my hotel room to nearest stairway. I also count the number of steps per flight of stairs and whether the stairs turn to the right or the left at the bottom of a flight.

3 - Call Mrs Inor and let her know I arrived safe.

I do this every time I travel without exception and I do not even think about it now. What is funny is that I have a horrible memory for most things, but I ALWAYS seem to remember the paces and number of turns to get from my hotel room to the stairs.

Twice, I have been awakened in the middle of the night by the fire alarm. In both cases I was able to quickly gather all my stuff together (I keep my suitcase and briefcase packed and ready to go at all times) and calmly get out. The first time, there was actually a real fire with smoke and flames and everything. I was surprised, once I got outside, at how freaked out the other guests were and how calm I was.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Excellent and often overlooked topic.

Beyond just consciously thinking about a survival situation, it is even better if you can get into an unconscious habit of planning your survival situation. For example, I travel a LOT for business. When I check into a hotel I always have the same three steps that I go through in order, without exception:

1 - Take my bags to my room.

2 - Count off the paces from the door of my hotel room to nearest stairway. I also count the number of steps per flight of stairs and whether the stairs turn to the right or the left at the bottom of a flight.

3 - Call Mrs Inor and let her know I arrived safe.

I do this every time I travel without exception and I do not even think about it now. What is funny is that I have a horrible memory for most things, but I ALWAYS seem to remember the paces and number of turns to get from my hotel room to the stairs.

Twice, I have been awakened in the middle of the night by the fire alarm. In both cases I was able to quickly gather all my stuff together (I keep my suitcase and briefcase packed and ready to go at all times) and calmly get out. The first time, there was actually a real fire with smoke and flames and everything. I was surprised, once I got outside, at how freaked out the other guests were and how calm I was.
Well, prehaps if you had remembered your robe...:oops:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Practice coping with the unthinkable. Actually working out several ways to handle the unexpected can prepare you for the real thing. "Mind games" can help you to be ready for events as they happen and give you the edge on situations you didn't think of to practice. They help you to get used to accepting and overcome situations.

Simple things like what you could do if someone broke into your house at night or you hear voices outside your house that might be a threat. What actions you can take if you walk in on a robbery at your local store or if you are confronted while on a walk. Thinking about it and deciding ahead of time several different ways you can handle the situation will give your mind the ability to make quicker decisions in similar events. It also helps to eliminate the disbelief that most people go through that blocks their ability to make good choices under unfamiliar circumstances.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..."Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." ~ Proverbs 27:17
Yay, having trustworthy reliable people around you is essential in life, especially when it hits the fan..:)

"If you hang around with losers you become a loser"- Donald Trump
"The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him"- Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)
"Bad company corrupts good character" (Bible:1 Corinthians 15:33)
"The main thing in life is to be surrounded by good men" -Fieldmarshal Friedrich von Paulus
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Bible: Proverbs 13:20)
"Associate yourself with men of good quality,for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company"- George Washington

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The old chief petty officers and first sergeants I have served with would give you a 4.0 on your list and the concepts it teaches.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I do think surviving will be a mental challenge. I also think a lot of people who think they are prepared will crack under the pressure.
I also think that there will be some people you never saw coming making it through alive and well, even better than some of us who think we're prepared. The survival instinct has nothing to do with number of rounds sorted and cataloged, nothing to do with knowing how to bake bread with two or three ingredients, and nothing to do with Maxpedition. It's built in, but it's been mostly turned off thanks to water coming from a tap (and no knowledge of how it got there).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts