Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm Max, and I've been lurking on these threads for a few days now. You all seem extremely helpful and insightful and I'm confident you will be able to help me!

Over the past few months my girlfriend and I have getting interested in preparedness. We're both young and on a budget, so we can't go all out too quickly, but for Christmas I wanted to put together a nice BOB and "manual" of sorts that I could surprise her with.

Since we live in different cities (I'm in Austin, she's in Belton, about 45 minutes North) I'm primarily concerned with finding some meet up locations that would be convenient, reasonable, and safe for both of us. Trouble is, I'm not exactly sure what I need to look for outside of the obvious (accessibility, resources, etc.)

I would really appreciate any advice/wisdom y'all could provide! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Have a predetermined signal at the meet up place, because in an emergency cell phones have a bad habit of not working, so some kind of passive communication may be needed a visual etc..

A bandanna or colored surveyors tape placed in a highly visible location outside the meet up area may work to silently communicate with other person. Use your imagination there are several variations on silent communications. Have at least two back up locations because if the primary meet up location is compromised and you don't have a second or third then you are risking not meeting up.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Max,
Your doing exactly the right thing to get started. Ask and observe educate yourself. And put back what ever you can.
But be aware there are some cold hard facts you may to need to deal with.
Do you and your girl friend know how to use a firearm? Even a small inexpensive pistol may make the difference in your survival.
You can pick up a .22 survival rifle fairly cheap. ( maybe even watch for a used one )

Darn so far there are really some good ideas posted for you. welcome to the 1% club

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think Rick nailed it, arm her and have her stay in place and you make your way to her. A woman on her own will be considered a soft target by bad guys. I would have her bug in until you get there unless it becomes unsafe and I would prearrange a couple of places near her place where she should hide out if her place becomes to dangerous to stay in. That way if she has to bail out of her place you'll be able to find her.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think Rick nailed it, arm her and have her stay in place and you make your way to her.
I agree with y'all on this up to a point. Two is one, and one is none. You should ALWAYS have a back up plan. What if she can't stay there?

Pore over the satellite view on Google maps. Find an area that's far enough away from traffic, but close enough to be accessible. Somewhere that you could set up any number of secluded and protected campsites, but have one major feature or landmark for meeting up. Preferably an area that you can easily scout and clear before revealing yourself. Pick three or four of these places, and then go visit them as soon as you can to verify their usefulness.

·
Super Moderator
9,608 Posts
Welcome neighbor.

Y'all are in a decent area to find a place. Look for a remote area where there is water, decent soil and possibly either a place to hunt or fish. Both would be great.

I'm with the others on this point though. Don't let her out by herself unless there is no other way. Too many sicko's out there.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Welcome from The Dallas area, and I might as well get this out of the way up front...... Gig'em Aggies!

Now for the less important stuff! First get two indentical copies of a map of your area and mark them off in a grid. Draw random letters or numbers from a hat and assign hte grids the random identifiers, but be sure each map grid is labeled alike.

Once that is accomplished, mark your primary and back up rendevous locations, and then randomly draw letters or numbers and assign an identifier to the locations.

Once your area of operation is mapped out you will be able to communicate in the clear using the grid and location identifiers, such as G4 or Z9. Incorporating the passive communication plan once you arrive adds a another layer of security as does having multiple alternative routes with unique randomly assigned identifiers.

You live in a densely populated city which has the added issue of being a Capitol city. Situational awareness and early reaction are essential.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the club from another Texan just north of Dallas, great to have you here and see your thinking about things smartly. Great idea building a BOB, shes one lucky lady to have crossed paths with you. You got a lot of options here and depending on your locale some could be very good.

One thing I have always tried to do in areas where I live or places that I may bug out too or places where I often camp, I have tried to do a little something to the area to improve it. For example...I always buy a couple of fruit trees from Walmart and plant them in such areas. Yeah they cost about 16 bucks a piece but unlike a bag of dried fruit that once its gone its gone, a fruit tree will produce for years and produce bushel baskets of fruit. Not only could this be a godsend if you have to bug out or things just get tough for a while, but you can hit these areas up about the time the fruit ripens and add it to your food stores by drying, canning ect and shave a bit off the monthly food budget. I have planted Fruit, Pecans, Black Berries and tons of other stuff in wood lots all over the place around here! You can only carry so much in the way of Scooby snacks, so having some established food plots at places could be a real blessing until you can figure something else better.

As others have mentioned, fire arms for protection! No one is gonna take better care of Big # 1 than you will or can. That's just a fact of life. That being said I would work on getting some fire arms as well and definitely start rat holing away some ammo. One thing I can tell you regarding me doing a few laps around the block is that guns and more so ammo aint getting any cheaper!!! A few basic fire arms will take the two of you a long ways, just make sure you got plenty of ammo to go with them.

On the bug out bags, don't go hog wild. Get you a good bag that can hold a gang of gear and can be comfortably humped. Assess your needs, not wants, those are two different things! Then start methodically adding a item each pay day, and soon that BOB will be complete and well thought out. It took me about 8 months to get my Redhead Spike Camp pack stocked. Then test that baby out and see how it preforms in the real world! Take it out on a few early spring and late fall camp outs and see how the stuff in it works and holds up. Not only do you get to test your gear, you two also get to get in the out doors, kick back a little and practice skills you hope you never need to use for real when the everyday luxurys of life are long gone.

Hope to see you around and see you often here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thank you all for your hospitality and excellent advice. I really appreciate all the insight y'all have already provided. I want to respond to a few of your points individually, but here's the general sense I'm getting so far:

• If at all possible, have her stay put and travel to her. If for some reason that is not a possibility, have somewhere remote but accessible by foot if need be.
• Have predetermined signals in order to communicate silently.
• Have multiple backup locations selected.
• Randomize grids on maps in order to communicate in the clear.

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Now I know where to at least begin to start scouting out some feasible locations.

I plan on posting on firearms in a thread of its own in due course, but since some of you mentioned it, here's my situation: I'm generally comfortable handling firearms. I've been shooting since I was a little boy, so I have a good understand of firearm maintenance and safety. That being said, I always shot my dad's guns and don't currently own any myself. My girl had never shot a gun before she met me, and since then we've only made it to the range a couple of times. We both definitely want to arm ourselves in the near future.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've been thinking about your starting point and your destination. Man, that is one tough transit in a SHTF scenario given that I35 will be gridlocked. I would look East or West of Belton, likely West, and find alternate routes.

Keep in mind, as you probably know, Ft Hood is West of her. If the situation is bad enough they may expand their perimeter, which could make passage more difficult.

Lots of open space out that way but not a lot of paved routes between them.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If bugging out is a necessity then things have gotten so bad that staying put is a risk. Traveling to her increases the time she waits in a location that is unsafe. Tough call when does the risk of being attacked in ones own home outweigh the risk of being attacked while traveling.

Sickos are just as likely to trap her in her own home, it's six of one half a dozen of the other in that regard. At least in the open she has mobility where as at home, not so much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts