Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely, y'all have heard of maypops? How about passion flowers?

Maypops grow on vines in sunny areas. You can find them growing in the grass on hills as the ones I pick, and they'll grow on fences, poles...wherever they can get sun.

Wait until the bulb turns wrinkly and yellow - then it is ripe. Tear the ball open and eat the innards. You can even chew and eat the seeds.

Here's a page that has pics:

Maypops Mania | Eat The Weeds and other things, too

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
My friend Rick on that southeastern expeditionary video showed me this funny fruit growing off the side of his driveway. It was a vine not unlike a cucumber vine. It had this crazy flower- white and purple. Green, egg-like fruit. I'm certain now that it was a passion fruit and passion flower. Now as of my training as a child, I was told to stay away from may pop. I think that's because it's an irritant most of the year. Funny enough it's that same tropical flavor that they use in Hawaiian punch. It fills with a yellow jelly laden with seeds, it gets ripe when yellow and has a very tart flavor. The green fruits need to be stripped of seeds and boiled for a bit before eaten.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like them, only they taste sweet to me.
Never ate them when they weren't ripe, but imagine you would have to cook them if you did. Gotta do something if you are hungry and can't wait until they are ripe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts