Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.... Just wondering, I have only read a little on this, but what is your opinion on what happened?

They really knew the end of time?
The person writing it died?
They just said the hell with it?
They couldn't count that high?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't know, it's amazing at some of the structures they built with such primitive knowledge. But I never underestimate the will power of man. Some of it is questionable and I think they had "help"

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Mayan's knew things about space that we just recently discovered. There lives revolved around the stars and planets. How could they have known about planetary and even galactic alignments. Kinda makes you wander?

·
Registered
133 Posts
survival said:
Ok.... Just wondering, I have only read a little on this, but what is your opinion on what happened?

The person writing it died?
:lol:

Dunno boss, but let's be honest, 2012 aint much started yet, and it's looking pretty damn bleak already, I think these Mayans knew what they were talking about, I think this year will be a turning point for something.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it will as well. Even if nothing happens, its better to be prepared and nothing happen then to be not prepared and something does happen. I think people will realize that life has ups and downs and focus more on families and necessaties.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Someone told me they just ran out of rock to carve. I guess if it was just the Mayans predictions, I might be skeptical. When you think about all the other predictions, I can't ignore that. The Hopi Indians, The Sybills, Mother Shipton, all give the same date. How can that be? The predictions of Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, and lets not leave out the Bible.

When you think about so many events being "overdue" it seems a pretty sure thing. We are overdue for a supervolcano at Yellowstone, overdue for a massive EMP.

Call me crazy, but in the words of Woodrow Call (Lonesome Dove)"I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with everyone of you. Just think though how much more prepared you are now than you were years ago, even if its a simple bug out bag.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Really the Mayan calendar is a mute point. The Mayans knew nothing of the concept of leap years (February 29) that is added every 4 years into the Georgian calendar that we now use. This "extra" day every 4 years has been in practice sine 46 BC which means that we would have reached the end of the know Mayan calendar many years ago. (No I am not going to attempt to figure the exact date) So since the Mayan end of the world is a mute point but what is a concern is how may people still believe in this mystical date and what they might or might not do on this date. Keeping my powder dry just in case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just saw this after I posted a very similar post in another thread. 514 leap years to be exact, so we are about 17 months ahead. Subtract 6 months to account for the Myan calendar ending in Dec. of this year and that lands us somewhere around July of last year. That we all died.
But I totally agree with you, keeping the ammo cans sealed nice and tight

·
Registered
92 Posts
As I posted in another post.

The Gregorian Calendar year has an average length of approximately 365.2425 days. The Gregorian calculation for a year is ((400 * 365) + 100 - 3 = 146,097) / 400 = 365.2425

The Mayan Calendar year comparison has an average length of approximately 365.2420 days. The Mayan calculation for a solar year is divided by 5,124 year periods which give the calendar the increased accuracy.

The variation for the Gregorian calendar is .0003. The variation for the Mayan Calendar is .0002. Small numbers until you start working with periods of time greater than 100,000 years or so.

how ever whoever translated the dates from mayan to gregorian would have obviously accounted for leap years and arrived at Dec 21 2012?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts