1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yerp. Whats the ethnic breakdown of this town ? A test to see the populations reaction ?

a red state in the south. small town. egads. The news on this spreading very fast as well.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Stovall said he did not consult an attorney before announcing his plans to combat crime. He even remained undaunted when comparing his proposed tactics with martial law, explaining that "I don't know that there's ever been a difference" between his proposals and martial law.

'As of the census[4] of 2000, there were 22,017 people, 8,941 households, and 6,133 families residing in the city. The population density was 714.6 people per square mile (275.9/km²). There were 9,789 housing units at an average density of 317.7 per square mile (122.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.87% White, 0.04% Black or African American, 0.42% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.56% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. 1.33% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.There were 8,941 households out of which 31.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.7% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.4% were non-families. 27.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.92.In the city the population was spread out with 24.8% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.9 males.The median income for a household in the city was $30,815, and the median income for a family was $39,431. Males had a median income of $28,103 versus $20,623 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,076. About 8.4% of families and 12.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.1% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Asteroid. Were you going somewhere with those statistics?

Anyway, this is pretty infuriating.

Yeah, if you receive a report and a person matches a description given in that report. By all means stop and ask some questions. You have RS from the report for a talk, not a detainment. But to stop random people and ask for ID because they are out after a certain time? Good luck. It will tick off more people than crimes it solves. Loose the support of the populace and you find it very difficult to do your job. Sides, while I don't know all the laws down there, in every state and city Ive lived in, walking down the street does not require an ID.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Those statistics are the population of that town. poor/white folk. I had originally assumed there would be a large Black population but was suprised to find it wasnt. Look at the average income and the male/female ratio. seems to be a typical poor family type town. If you look at the median income compared to the per capita income theres alotta very poor and a few very rich. I dont know what the "poverty line" is in Alabama but here that would be nearing homelessness. Likely most families fall just above that. otherwise the numbers dont add up.

It is only statistical info no more no less. If someone can digest those numbers better then I have feel free. It is just an opinion based on what I am looking at. But thats who is being targeted by this Martial Law. And as we know if there is a spike in crime it is usual only a few or even 1-2 people doing 90% of it.

Personally this story scares the shit out of me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds a lot like the town that is near me. But even with all the folks that moved up from Chicago the crime really inst too bad.

I figured that was what you were aiming at, just wanted some clarification for others that might come in and jump on ya. ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
"The Daily Press reported Stovall saying that the crime statistics in the city were high enough to justify such action by law enforcement. It noted that an attorney was not consulted by the mayor or police chief before the street crimes unit plan was proposed.

The Daily Press though did contact the city's attorney Allen Warmath who said the police will respond in the way proposed when they receive called-in complaints. The mayor said, backing off a little from the plan according to the Daily Press, that the city just wanted to make sure a law enforcement presence was felt in some areas. Warmath too told the Daily Press that the new unit would be less confrontational than was originally proposed."

The city's attorney just had to explain how the U.S. Constitution works, and how Federal law would impact the town's originally proposed plan.

Bottom line, the police have no legal right to ask anyone who is out walking their dog, or engaging in any other lawful activity, for I.D. (which is why the city attorney says they will only do this if there is a "called-in complaint" as legal justification for the police to stop people and ask them for identification).

Know your rights. Because you can be damn sure very few of the police officers understand them correctly. But that is why we have our courts, judges, and the right to legal counsel.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Trial balloon ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe if they would show up on time for the normal 911 calls they wouldnt have such a high crime neighborhood..... In my home town of cleveland, I could call the cops to report a home robery then hang up and order a pizza and the pizza would get there faster then the cops. lol. And my dad is a cleveland cop!!!! Anywasy, I dont care how crappy of a nieghborhood it is, thats over kill. If some over the top cop stopped me and my dog on my nightly walk and asked me for ID I would be forced to tell them to kiss my a**. Get in ur cruser and take a hike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts