Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to my LGS to pick up a gift card for my dad and while wondering around I stumbled onto a Marlin 336, in 30-30, with scope for $299. I looked it over and found it was manufacturer in No. Haven, CT., which is exactly what I wanted. It's in very good shape and just needs a good cleaning. So I sent the wife a text and now it's on hold for me for Xmas. Now I can't wait for Xmas. Durable, reliable, light, hard hitting gun for those not not so good situations.

·
Administrator
15,450 Posts
Good deal. Older is better when it comes to Marlin 336's. Since Remington took over production of Marlin and moved it to South Carolina there have been some reports of poor quality control.
Mine's a 336 Texan (straight grip, like a Winchester), 30-30, made around 1970.
Every serious rifleman should have a lever action 30-30 in their inventory.
(REALLY serious riflemen have 35 Remington caliber lever guns).

·
Registered
955 Posts
Mine's a Browning BLR chambered in .308. The box magazine lets me use modern ammo without worrying about recoil detonation of pointed ammo in a tubular magazine. I've not tried any of the plastic tipped ammo in a tubular magazine. That's supposed to allow modern rounds.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Marlin made at least 25 variations of the 336, if you give me the complete model number I can give you a collectors buy price from my book.

But $299 for an older one with a scope is a good deal. Is it a micro-groove model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 336 - and I love it - bought it in 1987 - not sure how many rounds I have put through it over the years - but it still operates without a single problem. Mine is scoped and we shoot tight groups at 100 yards all day long.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I have two 1951, 94 winchesters in 30/30 and two pre side safety marlins.
The marlins are a better rifle and prefer them over the winni's.
I did however pay only $5.00 each for the winni's. They are in like new condition.
Put new barrels in them for $50.00 each.
Use one as a ghg in my jeep.
The leverloution ammo(plastic point) works well and shoots flatter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found out after checking the serial number that it's a 2003. I'm picking it up the day after x-mas so I'll have more info then.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Congrats! I love the 336 because it follows the K.I.S.S. model of functionality and the 30-30 round will match the AK 7.62 caliber tit for tat. Takes almost any game in North America with one single well placed shot.

Excellent for:
Brush gun
Truck gun
Night stand gun
Bug out gun

It is the original Assault Rifle of 1873 and has taken more deer than any other gun.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
You picked up a fine rifle. good deer hunter in this area . My second son took his first Deer with one at 125 yards.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Man with a find like that you make me green with envy!!! Its definitely going to be one MERRY Christmas around your homestead this Christmas. Very nice gun and very nice deal. I am about all gunned out but I too would have pounced on this one like a snow blind wolf and added yet one more to the collection! Ought to make for a real good shooter in a great cartridge. Hope you enjoy it as much as I would.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man with a find like that you make me green with envy!!! Its definitely going to be one MERRY Christmas around your homestead this Christmas. Very nice gun and very nice deal. I am about all gunned out but I too would have pounced on this one like a snow blind wolf and added yet one more to the collection! Ought to make for a real good shooter in a great cartridge. Hope you enjoy it as much as I would.
I was almost gunned out myself. Then i had to make the very hard decision to sell off almost all of my guns during some very difficult financial times. Now the rebuilding process begins. I'm taking a very different approach to my collection this time. I'm going for guns that I've always wanted, that are a little more practical than my previous collection. I had to keep what is arguably the most impractical gun I own, since it was a gift from my dad, my Steyr SPP.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
193 Posts
.30-30 is my one of my fave rifle cartridges. Great rifle for sure, enjoy!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Probably one of the most popular dear hunting rifles in Kentucky, Marlin was smart an made a flat top receiver and side ejection for the 336 Marlin to sell to the growing number of American hunters who preferred optical. The popular Winchester model had the ejection on the top of the receiver.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts