Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen them, don't know what they are called, but they are manual without electricity, where you rotate/crank them to exchange air. Can someone pinpoint exactly what these are called for me?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great find, now I'm wondering about the $50K price tag on the complete set unless they sell the VA150 in a standalone configuration. I'm going to look around to see if there is just a manual one without all the batteries, blast proof, emp protection etc. Just a old 1980's version that someone might have for sale. Thanks for finding this.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Great find, now I'm wondering about the $50K price tag on the complete set unless they sell the VA150 in a standalone configuration. I'm going to look around to see if there is just a manual one without all the batteries, blast proof, emp protection etc. Just a old 1980's version that someone might have for sale. Thanks for finding this.
I found that many of the old shelters used a crank forge blower, I don't know who still sells them.
FORGE BLOWER MODEL NO 400 ~ Hand Crank ~ Champion ? on eBay!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XZ7DGPJEqUg/S70CTRe2_xI/AAAAAAAAARU/6N6AxYVGMAE/s1600/IMG_0003.JPG

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
If you are going to run a blower, you need to get filters for it and you need a exhaust port somewhere for the air to flow freely.

The exhaust port needs a flapper type valve on it to prevent back flow.

Let me expand upon this.

If you are intending to use a manual blower from a forge, it is better to use it in the exhaust mode.

Its configuration is not too easy to modify. It will however bolt right up so to speak in the exhaust mode.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've seen them, don't know what they are called, but they are manual without electricity, where you rotate/crank them to exchange air. Can someone pinpoint exactly what these are called for me?
@Survival
I got interest about what type of blower to use as it seems almost all the companies that made hand crank blowers went out of business except for the one I mentioned above or get an old one from EBAY.
Notice the blower this company that make NBC air systems use.
Welcome to NBC Air Systems
looks a lot like this.
Centaur Forge Hand Crank Blower-Centaur Forge

Just looking around I really think you could make a complete NBC filter system for under $500 There are a multitude of HEPA filters available and if you use a common furnace filter in front of it, it should last a long time. The one way flapper valves Socom42 mentioned can be made easily out of scrap material. There also are many types of 12 or 120 volt blowers that could be used with your system for when power is available.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I saw one, one time, which worked on a bicycle system. Wish I could find it now. I've always wanted to try building one. It was built on the old exercise bicycle principle using air foils for wind resistance to provide an indoor exercise experience. Instead, the airflow off the turbine that was the rear wheel was piped into a duct system that circulated air in and out of the shelter.

It was nifty as heck, I just wish I had saved it when I saw it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The hand crank seen here in red... thanks Lucky Jim for the photo.

View attachment 1052
That's actually not the one you want to go with if you are talking about intake vents. That one can be easily popped off and smoke throw down the pipe in an effort to smoke you out.

The one you want to go with, at least the ones we used, are steel, welded, galvanized two inch pipe bent in a hook, or candy cane shape, with the intake buried in pea gravel inside of rabbit wire. If I can get home tomorrow when it is light I can try to take a picture, or perhaps draw a diagram tonight to explain it better.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Okay, I found a decent representation even though this does not illustrate installation and it does not show the blast valves, (over pressure values). But if you can imagine the long end leading to the inside of your shelter, and the short end bending back into a box of #57 washed stone (which is where the intake sets) which allows air to flow between the stones, then a layer of pea gravel, ground cloth, then sand or soil. You can plant whatever above it, which keeps it concealed, all the while still allowing air flow between the stone. It also eliminates the need for rain covers.

There are actually shelter vent pipes, specifically designed and produced for shelter builders:

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you just want to move a lot of air in a small amount of time,
you can easily make an air handler from an old, used HVAC fan.
You can find them easily, if you are polite, at almost any
heating/cooling company.
The physics of operation are very simple, and with a tiny
amount of your ingenuity, you can adapt it to your need.
You can even incorporate filtration.
You can power it by hand, by bicycle,.....
These 'squirrel-cage' fans move lots of air, even the small ones.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There was a time that blowers for coal forges were
were almost found in every rural garage.
Most have been collected......and sold as antiques.
Now, they are very pricey.
They also move a lot of air......but they also make a
light siren sound when you get em going.......
and if you have ever used one.....you found out very
quickly......if you let go of the handle, it doesn't stop, and
will rack you in the hand or......

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
As an alternative if there's room for a bike in there it can be hooked up to anything such as ventilating system. battery recharger etc, check the bottom pic-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts