Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Man lives on canoe like the frontiersmen, cool story

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  preppermama 
#1 ·
Saw this recently-

Guy in Boston lives on a 14 foot canoe with all his gear and sleeps in remote areas away from others. He probably has a whole cooking setup, fishing tackle and all. He's got a great angle on this bugging out thing, he's right- nobody who can't walk on water is going to physically reach him unless they take the low ground to wade in and wind up a sitting duck for pistol fire. Talk about fun, I am now eyeing an ultralight canoe.

Meet the Man Who Lives in a 14-Foot Canoe in Boston Harbor | TheBlaze.com

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah... I found that interesting as well. And more interesting is that they are leaving him alone since he stays in public waters and doesn't try to sneak in to restricted areas. I wish the govt would treat us all like that. My understanding of the Constitution is that Govt should provide for the general welfare... not dictate what they think is best for you. I always thought it was my right to be stupid and get myself killed as long as I did it in the "pursuit of happiness." If they keep up like they are... they will eventually ban anything that can hurt or kill you.... planes, cars, stairs, women.... what kind of world would that be?

#3 ·
Of course this guy is from Maine. Thanks for posting this great story, Leon!

Honestly, I think this guy is pretty smart. He's probably collecting some government benefits. What a smart way to live on very little; although, I don't think that would be feasible year round. I wonder what he is doing for the winter?

On a side note: I hope he's not eating any fish from Boston Harbor or the Charles River. Water quality has improved over the years, but I wouldn't do it.

#4 ·
Well, if it was me, (and I know cold- born in NE) I would shore that boat and flip it over, prop it up like a lean-to with two sticks, run a tarp or canvas rainfly over it, dig a dakota fire pit near it and set up for the night. Like so

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
That's would be the best way to do a shelter with a canoe. However, something like that would never fly in Boston. The homeless get brutalized, robbed, and attacked all the time. There's a reason he's sleeping on his boat in the water at night. It's safe. I would imagine he's not carrying a gun because he knows the authorities are watching him extremely close.

#7 ·
I don't know why anyone would live in that place. Last time I passed through there the only person who wasn't rude to me I asked "Hey...why does your whole city smell like a beer fart?" Place was dirty and full of ugly people even uglier streets, greasy food...only place I disliked more was St. Louis, looked like a neutron bomb went off and everyone lived.

#8 · (Edited)
Not to insult any southern folks on here, but I felt that way about Memphis. I loved Nashville to pieces, but Memphis was frightful when I visited 10 years ago and extremely dirty. I couldn't leave that place fast enough.

Yeah, so in Maine, we have a special word for people from Mass. We call them Ma$$holes. My main beef with Boston is how disorganized and unlabeled the whole place is. It's impossible to navigate without GPS.

My husband is like you. He refuses to go to Mass anymore because of how rude the people are. The last two times we went to Boston, he ended up in a near fistfight with guys who were just being Ma$$holes and blocking stairs in the subway for no reason and came at us when we asked them to move. It's a complete 180 up here where people are fairly polite and say please and thank you.

In Maine, we also have issues with the people coming up here from Boston/NY and behaving recklessly. A lot of the boating/hunting/drowing accidents, also deaths/murders you hear about in Maine involve people from Mass/New York that have come up here for the summer.

Half the reason we are selling our lake house is because we don't wanna live next door to people from Mass/NY anymore. Most overbearing, rude neighbors to deal with. Anyhow...so, yeah, a lot of us wish they'd blow the bridge up between NH and Maine. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.