Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a larger grinder to start making my own hamburger and sausages. Since I am new to this any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you have any tried and true recipes for making sausages I would love it f you would share them.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I only made hamburger once. I followed a recipe that used 3 quality cuts of meat and then, because there was not that much fat in the meat, poured melted butter into the ground meat and mixed everything up....put in the fridge to firm up.
Delicious burgers.

Have made quite a bit of bratwurst and Italian sausage.

Make sure your cubes of meat are well-chilled (almost frozen) when it goes into the grinder.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the well chilled tip. I have not seen that anywhere. I will post pics when I make it.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
I bought a larger grinder to start making my own hamburger and sausages. Since I am new to this any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you have any tried and true recipes for making sausages I would love it f you would share them.
Sausage making was one of my old hobbies. I got all kinds of recipes. Try these.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much @bigwheel . I have bookmarked it.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@hawgrider the only thing stopping you from helping is you.

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have only made medisterpølse since my Danish in-laws and husband ate it every Christmas. As long as you have the attachment to make sausage the sky is the limit though I would think. I have made my own ground turkey and chicken but never hamburger.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: Hamburgers. Tried making them a few times years ago but they would fall apart on the grill. Added eggs, bread crumbs even some peanut butter as a binder but no luck. Then a buddy pointed out that the beef I was using was too lean. Now I use a 70/30 mix or in a pitch 80/20 and everything is good.

Pro tip if you don't want the paddy to bulk up in the middle when it is cooking on the grill push you thumb down into the middle of the patty before it goes on it.

Godspeed

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Thank you very much @bigwheel . I have bookmarked it.
Ok hope you give it a try. That was a pretty early variant of the recipe. I gave up on MSG when the health scares started. On sausage if you can get the salt right everything else is pretty much down hill. For regular folks 1.5
teaspoons pound is about right. Low salt diets can do with 1 teaspoon. Try to keep the fat content at least 20%. Beef sausage will be dry and crumbly if too lean..pork will tighten up and get a hard bite. For making hamburger meat or beef sausage grinding up chuck roast is a good plan and the fat content is about right. Round is slightly too lean. Brisket works good but a whole brisket needs to be well trimmed as it is highly too fatty or just use the flats which are leaner than the point. Brisket also tends to be crumbly as it lacks a protein called myosin than holds it together somewhat..unlike other cow parts that get used more often. Makes great burgers just treat them very gentle least they fall apart on the grill. Try this sometime. Muy bueano and makes prize winning pickled baloney for any yankees who like that. lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for sharing.

Reactions: bigwheel

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Anybody who likes regular old Brats should try these. Got some rave reviews from some Salugis from Illinois who said they were much better than what they was used to getting lol.
Adding beer in place of water for the liquid really perks up the spices.

·
Premium Member
9,849 Posts
I don't have any tips but I do remember my Opa making sausage and them hanging from the rafters of the garage. He had a pool table in the garage that doubled as a meat makin' table with a hand crank grinder on it. Some good eatin' right there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I grew up making smoked sausage every year until the family got so dispersed that the logistics were a nightmare. our recipe was salt, pepper, some cyanne, and rubbed sage . all this was to taste so everyone's sausage was a little bit different. we always ground and stuffed our sausage the first saturday after christmas. this insured cool weather . keep your meat chilled to the point of being uncomfortable to handle. we also cold smoked our sausage for 10 days, then frozen for the year. we started each grind with whole hogs. usually 400 pounds of pork which we cut from the carcass the morning of the grind. usually took us all day , daylight to dusk. it was fun and tasted good all year. good luck and have fun with it. keep it clean and cold.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
I started on a lark in the real early 70s with a hand grinder, a dead deer plus some pork fat and Mortons Breakfast Sausage seasoning. Got into the hobby much more intense in the 90s. Made all kinds of cured and uncured smoked and unsmoked meats. Lot of fun but much work most of it kitchen skull druggery washing things etc. Gave all my equipment to one of my favorite grand daughters and her hubby a few years back when I got old and lazy but aint heard much out of it lately.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am concerned about the shortages and rising costs I have been seeing lately. I am lucky to have my nephew helping me.

Reactions: bigwheel

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
I am concerned about the shortages and rising costs I have been seeing lately. I am lucky to have my nephew helping me.
Great news on that. Home made sausage can be wonderful stuff as compared to most storebought offerings Holler if you want to try any particular recipes. Kindly keep us posted on your efforts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Brisket works good but a whole brisket needs to be well trimmed as it is highly too fatty or just use the flats which are leaner than the point. Brisket also tends to be crumbly as it lacks a protein called myosin than holds it together somewhat..unlike other cow parts that get used more often.
Thanks for this. Now I know why my last batch of burgers falls apart.

Question though is why is it that corned beef doesn't fall apart the same way?

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Thanks for this. Now I know why my last batch of burgers falls apart.

Question though is why is it that corned beef doesn't fall apart the same way?
Its not ground up into tiny pieces perhaps..lol. A pal and I ran off a nice batch using brisket, chuck roast and a box or two of bacon ends and pieces for the meat ration. It was the hit of the bbq contest at Terlingua.Was slightly loosey goosey but not bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its not ground up into tiny pieces perhaps..lol. A pal and I ran off a nice batch using brisket, chuck roast and a box or two of bacon ends and pieces for the meat ration. It was the hit of the bbq contest at Terlingua.Was slightly loosey goosey but not bad.
It is ground because I ground several corned beef briskets when I found them on sale for a buck a pound last fall, and we liked it so much that I waited for St. Patty's day sales to buy more, although haven't ground all of that yet.

Is it because I grind the corned beef fine and the brisket medium? I don't know, just that the brisket really wants to fall apart if you look at it funny, the corned beef stays together decent and is what my wife and son prefer for making rubens now.

I use english roast with bacon ends and pieces for my bacon burger. Easier for me to get the fat content where I like it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts