Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, we have a couple potential BOLs, but my favorite is a place owned by my uncle. He's disabled and can't really take care of his property anymore, and really needs to sell... Here’s our journey!

Lets talk specs. 2900 sqft lake house. It's a log home, but very modern. 4 br and 4 baths. It has all the comforts of home, is on well water, has septic, and sits on a nice 80 acre private lake. The lake has all the fish we could eat (pan fish, bass, etc..). The lake is also a great source of water (if the well should fail). The house sits on 3.5 acres of partially wooded land, on a secluded road in a very remote section of our state. There are several garages, and out buildings, a nice tractor and plenty of land for planting a huge garden. The home is secluded, but defensible, with amazing like-minded neighbors.

My primary plan is to bug IN, but my MAG has contingencies for bugging out. If it comes to that, I have a couple families in my MAG that I'd happily bring along to the BOL cabin. It has plenty of space with 4 huge BRs, and other sleeping areas. and would make an ideal retreat for a few families.

This property is currently one of my possible BOLs. My uncle is disabled and rarely visits the property. Primarily, me and my family are the only ones who use it. We currently have unlimited permission to stay in the "cabin". However, we don't own it, which is a major concern for me....

Because we don't "OWN", I am reluctant to store any major preps there. I do keep things at the property, and have taken over one of the attached "toy garages" for my SxS and paddleboards, etc... This garage will fit 4+ ATVs and miscellaneous "gear". But I don't want to start stacking 30x5gal buckets of food preps, as that will not be a secret from my Uncle (who is not a prepper). If the SHTF, my uncle is the type who will die in the first wave of whatever. He won't be driving to the cabin to escape. So if my uncle still owns the cabin, it's an available BOL. My MAG‘s BO plan is to convoy to the BOL with trailers full of preps (it's doable), but ideally it'd be nice to have stuff on site already...

I also recognize the lack of a backup winter heat source. It has modern forced air heat currently, and I'd like to add a wood burning stove in the lower level. But I can't do this yet while my uncle owns it.

Real estate prices for cabins in this area are going nuts right now. My uncle has toyed with selling for a few years (which is another issue - if my BOL could be sold out from under me). However, he's also stubborn and can't let go of anything. They guy has one leg and literally can't keep up with the basic maintenance, much less any of the major issues that arise. He knows he needs to sell, but he is having a hard time coming to terms with it.

We want to get a new cabin (wife wants a vacation home, I want a BOL), and my uncles place checks all the boxes, and could be a cheaper option for us, and quicker than building.

We had dinner with my aunt and uncle last night and discussed it (aunt is 100% on my side and wants to sell to us). Uncle isnt sure he's ready to sell, but wants to think about it for a bit. We've made our case, but it's not worth trying to pressure my uncle, as I don't want to hurt our relationship. Either he will sell, or he won't. Either way, we get to keep using the property. Either it costs us a lot, or it's free. I'm willing to pay a lot for the security of owning my BOL and being able to make modifications I want.

Wish us luck...

I'll post some pics. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,670 Posts
Very nice. I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the well wishes..

I realize this might seem ostentatious and little like a brag post. but I am posting this because of its potential for a BOL and I have some questions (see below).

yes, I’m very excited at this opportunity. I grew up very poor and have worked hard. We made some good real estate choices (working hard to fix up each home before selling for a little profit), and now we’ve gotten to a place with our main home having some equity to play with. That all said, we aren’t the kind of people who can simply afford a vacation home.

Our plan with this is to turn this into a source of income that will pay for itself. That is the only way we can pull this off. Vacation homes in this area pull in $2000/week on Airbnb, and winter rentals (with snow mobile season) is the busiest season. We aren’t winter cabin people, so we are happy to rent it out in the winter, and have others pay our entire mortgage.

it’s interesting from a preppers standpoint of allowing renters into the cabin…. I’ve thought a lot of how this would work. I’m not overly concerned, as with most Airbnb rentals, many areas of homes are locked and off limits. This property affords many areas that are vault-like. The aforementioned toy garage is one example. only accessible via one steel external door, it has solid concrete walls, and would be a great storage room. There are other rooms that are easily lockable and secure. the master BR has a massive walk in closet, where we envision storing all our personal affects during the winter months. w’d keep a gun safe on the property, bolted to the floor of a locked basement storage room. I have some experience with home security, so I have some confidence that my preps would stay secure From some drunken snowmobiler.

the other aspect of this was the concern of what do do should the SHTF and we need to bug out while it’s being rented? Well, my guess is that most people that might rent, during an emergency would likely vacate on their own, returning to their own homes. I think that’s the more likely scenario in a rapidly developing situation. If it’s a slow burn collapse, but obviously heading in that direction, I could either cancel the booking, or I would guess that if it looks like the S is about to HTF, most people are gonna cancel that vacation on their own….

now, what do do for that stubborn renter who’s like E”__”G it, I’m staying in this nice cabin for the EOTWAWKI? That’s a good question. I’d be curious about people’s thoughts on this matter? How would YOU handle something like that? Ok, I know some folks will be like “would not happen to me, cause I’d never rent out my place”. Well that’s great, but in MY situation, how’d you deal with a squatter?

Some of my considerations: they rented the place from you for a prescribed amount of time (week). if it’s EOTW, do we care about reimbursing the Renter? All those electronic funds are meaningless. Do we care about fulfilling their contract? If it’s winter, do we send them packing?

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
Sounds great! Wish you luck. Will you live there, full time or just once in a while. If not living there full time, how would you protect the supplies you store there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds great! Wish you luck. Will you live there, full time or just once in a while. If not living there full time, how would you protect the supplies you store there.
good question. we would not live there full time. We would come for a number of weeks in the summer, along with long weekend get-always. We would not store all our preps there, as this is a BOL if the SHTF. My main plan is to bug in at my home, where most of my preps reside, along with a solid MAG Of neighbors.

Many valuables have existed on the property for years, from a handful of ATVs, boats, snowmobiles, tractors, and tools. there has never been an issue. If someone is breaking into this cabin, the last thing they’re looking to steal is 30 x 5gal buckets of rice/beans from a hidden and locked storage room in the basement.

One of the neighbors we trust lives just across the street, in full of view of the property. This is also my plan for an on-site property manager for the Airbnb stuff. we trust them enough to have full access to the property, minus the secure storage, to clean and upkeep the place between renters. They’d get a percentage of the rental income for managing the place (and turnover). These are good people, with a stay at home mom (retired nurse), and theyre also prepper/country minded.

one of my upgrades would also include security cameras on the exterior, after bringing in wifi to the property. These could be viewed remotely.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Have your uncle bequeath it to you in his will. Won't cost you a dime.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have your uncle bequeath it to you in his will. Won't cost you a dime.
that ole coot might live (hopefully) for another 20-30 years.. he can’t maintain the property, and the fixes aren’t cheap. I’ve done my part with completing minor repairs and sweat equity, which assuages any guilt from using the property for free. but I’m not sinking $30,000 into the place to modify it how I’d like, without me owning the place…. Certainly not on some promise of inheritance (that can be revoked at will).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leave room for any of your old prepper pals who might want to come bunk for a while. Thanks.
oh, it’s got plenty of room for preppers, but the only preppers invited are my MAG, and their families. My MAG members all have supplies (and they’re all gunfighters). Anyone else shows up, they’re gonna need to make a pretty solid argument why they should be allowed to stay.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
oh, it’s got plenty of room for preppers, but the only preppers invited are my MAG, and their families. My MAG members all have supplies (and they’re all gunfighters). Anyone else shows up, they’re gonna need to make a pretty solid argument why they should be allowed to stay.
Sounds like smart thinking. I will bring my shooting trophies and large selection of beanie weenies if things get tense. I voted for Trump early and often. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like smart thinking. I will bring my shooting trophies and large selection of beanie weenies if things get tense. I voted for Trump early and often. lol
lol, shooting trophies are meaningless to this group, I have two SWaT guys and another cop who shoots pretty good too. i got a fighter jet pilot, and a big game hunter too…. not sure how useful the fighter pilot will be.. not like the gubment is gonna let him take his F-35 home with him….

i think we could make room in the garage for new arrivals, but they’ll need to be self supporting, a years supply of food, etc. we might have to move the jet outside to make room.

all this is probably moot. we have a decent setup in our neighborhood. I certainly home buggin IN suffices for whatever comes our way. Buggin out will be a hard thing, but I feel like it will be an easy decision once (IF) it’s gets THAT bad. Won’t even be a question On whether to bug out, we will just know….

·
Registered
958 Posts
Consider leasing the property for two years. If the property should get sold the buyer has to honor your remaining lease.
Best of both worlds for you. Takes the decision off Uncle.

Consider putting supplies in 250 gallon IBC food containers ($100). They are stackable and contents cannot be seen.
Label as Grandma's Clothes, Grandma's Kitchen etc. Cut small doors in one side. Store so doors are not visible. Link

In regards to making room for more people, in a survival situation "hot-rack" the sleepers.
You will probably run at least three shifts daily. Bedrooms are for sleeping, not lounging. As one shift gets up a new shift goes to bed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Consider leasing the property for two years. If the property should get sold the buyer has to honor your remaining lease.
Best of both worlds for you. Takes the decision off Uncle.

Consider putting supplies in 250 gallon IBC food containers ($100). They are stackable and contents cannot be seen.
Label as Grandma's Clothes, Grandma's Kitchen etc. Cut small doors in one side. Store so doors are not visible. Link

In regards to making room for more people, in a survival situation "hot-rack" the sleepers.
You will probably run at least three shifts daily. Bedrooms are for sleeping, not lounging. As one shift gets up a new shift goes to bed.
can you elaborate how the leasing would be better for me, other than preventing my uncle from selling the property to someone else? Not sure I’m registering…

I feel like paying for a lease is counterproductive. I get to use the property for free. IF he sells, I hope to be considered first, but of course nothing is guaranteed. With a lease, I dont get to upgrade and fix up the property. Hmmm

i do like your suggestions of hot-racking. This cabin has plenty of relaxation space, and plenty of bedrooms. In calculating Airbnb bed/sleeping space, we calculated 13 beds, but that’s independent sleeping spaces, and that can be expanded by a lot, using folding cots.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The suggestion of leasing was to make you more comfortable about storage of supplies on the property.
The lease gives only you access to the property and not your uncle, unless you are present.
It guarantees you storage time for the term of the lease.

It is just another option to control the land temporarily.
I assume you are more concerned for a BOL than a lifetime future there.

If one is concerned with a need for a BOL just for a short period then leasing may resolve that short term risk with a short term solution.
Purchasing the property might be a long term solution to a short term problem.

Just giving a different view on things. You must be the decider.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The suggestion of leasing was to make you more comfortable about storage of supplies on the property.
The lease gives only you access to the property and not your uncle, unless you are present.
It guarantees you storage time for the term of the lease.

It is just another option to control the land temporarily.
I assume you are more concerned for a BOL than a lifetime future there.

If one is concerned with a need for a BOL just for a short period then leasing may resolve that short term risk with a short term solution.
Purchasing the property might be a long term solution to a short term problem.

Just giving a different view on things. You must be the decider.
my uncle would never go for a lease, not an option. One carrot to entice my uncle to sell, is the promise he will still be able to visit and use the property. That is one of the issues he’s having…letting go, giving up control.

I can store stuff now, but I can’t modify the property, can’t install a wood stove. And I can’t really store “preps” like long term food.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts