Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am a newbie canner and I want to use canning jars as my long term storage plan. I heard that vacuum sealing the jars can help increase shelf life and keep things fresh. However I was taken aback by how much the electric vacuum sealers cost. I am also not a fan of the vacuum sealer bags and had some concerns about what I would use for a method if we don't have electricity.

I was able to make a canning jar vacuum sealer for about $19 out of pocket. including the regular mouth jar adapter. Total cost is $28 if you want to include the interchangeable wide-mouth adapter.

Here's what I got.

Vacuum Pump - $8 from Walmart - Custom Accessories Pennzoil Multi-Use Hand Pump: Team Sports : Walmart.com - the reviews are low on the product but if you read the reviews people are using it for the wrong reasons. I'm actually surprised how sturdy the pump is for the price.
Aquarium tubing - $2 from Walmart - Lees Aquarium & Pet Aquarium Airline Tubing: Fish : Walmart.com (not the exact product - they had a cheaper version in my local store)
Regular mouth jar adapter - $9 - FoodSaver T03-0023-01 Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Total - $19!

Optional - Wide mouth adapter - $9 FoodSaver T03-0023-01 Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

Here's a video to give you an idea of how it works. The hand pump the guy uses in this video costs $30. The Walmart pump is much easier on the budget. I've also heard you could hook the adapter and tubing up to a breast pump and that would work as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very good adaptation of common, inexpensive tools. One last thing I would do is add a 100cc oxygen absorber to the jar. I mainly use bags because they are not glass and work pretty well but I do have dried foods in jars from my y2k prepping that still looks good.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. I am currently research ways to make oxygen absorber packets for my storage. I've hear it's pretty simple. I haven't had much time to look into it, but I apparently it's just rusting iron.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I had come across too. I'm just thinking it's good to know how to do it yourself. You can't order off Amazon in a SHTF situation. LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts