Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally made it to Montana. We drove across country with almost everything we own packed into a trailer towed behind our 4 door Jeep. Talk about crazy weather on the trip. We were headed thru St. Louis,MO the other evening(same night the storm chasers were killed)and the sky was a halloween green. Next thing you know the tornado sirens are blasting,we look over and there is a HUGE tornado about a half mile or so away from us. My fiance has some pretty good video and pics we will be putting on our blog SurvivingTheBreaks.com Once we hit South Dakota it was blue skies till we hit Montana. Once we got here,the sky dropped out again. Roads were flooded and was some nasty winds. The roads to the ranch and property are washed out and we are still in town and can't make it to the new home till tonight or tomorrow once the roads are fixed.
We are stuck in town(Chinook,MT0 and our friends are stuck on the ranch and can't make it to oopen the feed store to open it up. So we are going to be working the feed store till everything gets straight. So if anyone is near Chinook,MT, stop by Cow Creek Feed and say hi....I will post more later..

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..crazy weather on the trip..sky was a halloween green..tornado sirens blasting...Roads were flooded and washed out..
Sounds as if the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and the Black Riders from Lord of the Rings were after you mate, but apart from that it sounds like it was a nice trip..:)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was able to talk to my friend that owns the ranch. He saw a dozen cow/calf pairs get washed away down the flooding creek. They were on the other side on a small little island and there was no way to get to them. He thinks there over 2 dozen other pairs that might have been lost also. There has been over a foot of rain in the past week and it is supposed to rain again this weekend. Plus it snowed some yesterday in the upper elevation of the Little Rockies and Bear Paw Mountains where we are. When that melts it will just add to the floods we are having already..

·
Registered
938 Posts
So you are getting introduced to Montana the hard way it sounds like....

Hope things get better once you get yourself established.

The weather there is fierce at times. Stay strong. Yippee-yiyo-kai-yay...!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Perhaps you are beginning to see why the area is not densely populated. Not that that is a problem... But it will be more "real" than most people think when planning from afar.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have been here many times and even lived thru a few winters here. We know what we are getting into. It's just amazing how harsh it is out here. Which is one of the ressons we love it so much. I just got a call from the ranch, the road is clear enough to make it probably. A plane crash landed on the air strip yesterday and a few trucks were able to make it to them. So if the trucks can make it, our Jeep should be able..Hopefully... Ususally when the roads very bad,the Jeep is about the only vehicle on the ranch that can get around..We are about to head that way now and I'll update asap... It is great to be here.. I am so much more relaxed when we are here. Even when the weather is a nightmare..

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
My hat is off to you!
I think that is a marvelous idea. A buddy is in the process of doing the same thing, but his location is Wyoming. He shared some pics this past weekend - the scene is amazing.
If I could only figure out a way to take my beloved Gulf of Mexico with me....:?:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
We are on the ranch now. Took a few days to get internet going. The power is up but the pump is down so we have no running water. There is an artesian well so at least we have water available. We have a few several hundred gallon tanks at the house we filled from the well. We are using the tank to fill 5 gallon buckets to flush the toilet and wash dishes and clothes. We have a few solar shower bags we heat during the day and are able to shower at night. It is amazing how you miss running water. We are both actually getting pretty used to it though.
I was zeroing in one of my rifles the other day and my fiance hollered out to me. I looked up and said there was a rattlesnake. I walked over and sure enough, there he was just layin out gettin some sun. I put a 17hmr round thru his head. I put my boot on what was left of his head and cut it off with my knife. Then cut off his rattles which he had 10. Then skinned him out and tossed the rest int he creek.
We will be working on the cabin here in the next several weeks. It is about 2 miles from here and too far to run the power(which we are tryin to get away from anyway). But we will put in a solar pump on the well and run the rest off of solar and natural gas/propane as much as we can. My radio show will be starting sometime next week on BePreparedRadio.com and we will be posting more of what we are doing on our blog SurvivingTheBreaks.com We are in the Upper Missouri Breaks of Montana is where the name comes from. There will also be a ton of pics on our Facebook page under the name "Beach Kowboy"
It's amazing how quiet it is out here. I'm sittin here at the desk with the windows open. All I hear is the wind and birds chirpin. I absolutely LOVE Montana......

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Outstanding. I know I'm preaching to the choir with our members, but who wouldn't want to live where nary a car engine, train, or idiots outside can't be heard.

I'm looking forward to when you are up and running on the blog. I've never listened to any of the pod casts, but I'll check it out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have to admit I'm jealous. Lol. That's where my husband and I wanna be in a few years. Tucked away in big sky country. Congrats on getting there in one piece and living your dream.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Anyone in the Chinook/Havre Montana area , feel free to give me a yell and I'll bring ya out here to do some shooting or something..
Haha, I know it is great but anyone in your neck of the woods already has 100 places to hunt, fish, shoot prairie dogs and fish. I was amused on your trek into the state, the weather was more severe than here. But in general Montana sucks tell your friends.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There were a few people on here that moved into the area for work when I first posted on here we were coming that was new to the area. They were interested in coming out hunting.. Those were the ones I was talkin to. But anyone on here is welcome. As for the weather, it was severe. That is a fact. The ranch has already lost about 30 acres or more to the creek where it just fell in 30-40 feet. It sounds like thunder every time it caves in.. Not to mention all the cattle that were just washed away. They will end up in the Missouri River somewhere probably..
It is great to be back though!!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Holy crap, you didn't say hunting!

I would love to come and shoot a mule deer =)

Deer hunting in the breaks is the best

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have people in town ask me where I live.. When I say the breaks, they tend to get excited..lol The mule deer are huge. The whitetail deer are plentiful and the bighorn sheep are record breakers. Not to mention the elk and big cats..There was a 250lb cat killed here last year and a 210 just before that.. M R, Anytime you want to come huntin, let me know.. I will take ya out.. We have right at 60,000 acres of deeded land available not to mention the BLM that borders us. I prefer to stay on the private property though.. Away from pryin eyes..

·
Registered
922 Posts
Congrats, and good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow this is incredible. I just read this and liked your facebook page and also sent a friend request. I'm trying very hard to get myself out of the city mindset and start working hard on the 5 acres we just bought. I saw a Gator's shirt. Did you guys come from Florida? I'm in Central Florida and was wondering if that was where you started off at. Anyway, thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading about your life adventures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts