Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Understood. But life should be better for you since you don't have to listen to him. The higher prices for everything is a small price to pay for someone of your stature.
We all have bills to pay, I’m no different.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know. It's just that the higher bills affect some more than others. Some will have to cut back on essentials as the prices continue to increase. But it is what it is.
My next big purchase is going to a air conditioner. I don't have central air and both my window units broke last year. I want AC as long as I can get it. That is what my income tax is going for if I get any.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My next big purchase is going to a air conditioner. I don't have central air and both my window units broke last year. I want AC as long as I can get it. That is what my income tax is going for if I get any.
Consider a mini split system. Very energy efficient and economical to install.

I grew up without AC until I was 15 in the Deep South. I know about heat.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
I'm a member of a contractor's forum.
There are lots of stories that the mills are sitting on yards full of product to keep the prices high.
That in itself is not a good indicator of Mills keeping the prices high by keeping product in their yard. Mills are at the mercy of the Tree to produce what they need. If logs arrive that only yield 2x4 10's then they will produce what the trees yield. The customer will rarely buy a full truck load of 1 product, they will specify a random length load.

But I get your point and it may be part of the reason.

·
Administrator
14,850 Posts
That in itself is not a good indicator of Mills keeping the prices high by keeping product in their yard. Mills are at the mercy of the Tree to produce what they need. If logs arrive that only yield 2x4 10's then they will produce what the trees yield. The customer will rarely buy a full truck load of 1 product, they will specify a random length load.

But I get your point and it may be part of the reason.
I unloaded many a rail road flat car that was random length units of SPF and SYP. 2X4 and 2X6 mostly.
The brands that stick in my brain were Tolko and West Fraiser on the SPF from British Columbia, although there were many more brands.
The SYP cars would be a combination of length, width, and grade, from #2 to Select Structural. From 2X4 thru 2X12.

Reactions: Slippy and inceptor

·
Registered
22 Posts
The amish done me right this week on lumber. 4x4x8' poplar $5.25 each. I got 8.
2x4x8' $ 2.35 each they were oak, and planned. I got 15.
Go check lowes. No way I could pay that for a greenhouse.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
I called guy I know who is a Sales VP of a large Forest Resource company and he said;

Mills are still running behind on log deliveries
Mills are undergoing Capitol Expenditures to become less reliant on labor
Mills are experiencing higher fuel costs, higher health care costs, higher overall transportation costs, a shortage of trucking, and a shortage of support personnel (Customer Service, Staff Accountants, Staff Administrators, Forklift Operators, Drivers, Machine Operators)

He also laughed and reminded me that since I left the Wood Business, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc have become much better negotiators! MUCH BETTER!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My advice, get away from just building with wood and learn how to build with metal or bricks and concrete. The lumber here sucks so bad I can swing a 4 x 4 against a tree and snap it, they can keep the warped twisted wood.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I called guy I know who is a Sales VP of a large Forest Resource company and he said;

Mills are still running behind on log deliveries
Mills are undergoing Capitol Expenditures to become less reliant on labor
Mills are experiencing higher fuel costs, higher health care costs, higher overall transportation costs, a shortage of trucking, and a shortage of support personnel (Customer Service, Staff Accountants, Staff Administrators, Forklift Operators, Drivers, Machine Operators)

He also laughed and reminded me that since I left the Wood Business, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc have become much better negotiators! MUCH BETTER!
I see one of the reasons is lack of personnel.

Can’t find anyone to work.....I’ve heard that before recently. 👍

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have zero experience with steel framing. Is it possible to completely frame out a house with steel? Would it be cheaper that wood in todays market? Do the two natetials compare in strength?

·
Super Moderator
9,171 Posts
I see one of the reasons is lack of personnel.

Can’t find anyone to work.....I’ve heard that before recently. 👍
Its easy to look up and interesting in what they plan to do. It's called the 4th Industrial Revolution. Everyone is working towards going AI. Many state governments have limited work capacity because of the scamdemic. Then the govt authorizes UIB for more than they made working.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
I have zero experience with steel framing. Is it possible to completely frame out a house with steel? Would it be cheaper that wood in todays market? Do the two natetials compare in strength?
Excellent Question! And one that is being discussed quite a bit in today's market.

Here are the factors involved;

Yes, it is possible to frame a residential structure in steel. In a perfect world, a Steel Framed Home is an ideal way to build a strong, rot resistant, termite resistant and structurally sound house.

Problems lie in the following;

Labor; Wood Framers and Metal Framers have different skill sets
Engineering; Engineering the structure is different with wood vs metal. So a set of house plans designed by an Architect and Stamped by a Structural Engineer for Wood will need to be Re-Engineered and drawings produced. You just can't start substituting Metal Framing for Wood. (Well, you can but you may not to live in it). The cost to Re-Engineer a set of plans is not cheap in a busy building market.

As you go thicker in Steel (Gauge) the price goes up. DRAMATICALLY.

But, if you start from scratch and design the home using metal framing, get the proper Structural Engineering stamp and get Commercial Construction labor to build it, you've got a great home!

I'll be more than glad to field more questions!

·
Registered
337 Posts
My better half wants to expand the back deck. I basically told her not this year.

For giggles, took a walk through Lowe’s. Shocked that Trex was the same as last year.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts