Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
I have also noticed looking at the Hoe Depots website lumber is limited in quantities of what you can buy. Thinking about loading up on cinder blocks months before I start building on the house cause they might be next.
@Weldman

Smart move. Do some research on Construction Aggregate Pricing and you should get a trend of what might happen.

Road Construction contracts are ramping up (or so I hear, I don't track that sector so I only know what I hear) and when roadwork increases the price of aggregate/rock/stone/cement/etc can go through the roof. If I were a betting man, Aggregates might go into short supply sometime this year, if only for a short while.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
Latest report from Vulcan Materials, one of the largest aggregate producers

·
Registered
192 Posts
@Weldman

Smart move. Do some research on Construction Aggregate Pricing and you should get a trend of what might happen.

Road Construction contracts are ramping up (or so I hear, I don't track that sector so I only know what I hear) and when roadwork increases the price of aggregate/rock/stone/cement/etc can go through the roof. If I were a betting man, Aggregates might go into short supply sometime this year, if only for a short while.
Thanks, I will be buying 1-4 pallets a month with hearing that till I get about 12 pallets, maybe more.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Lumber will correct. It will not stay this high.

Building will cease at $8 a 2x4 before long.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
Lumber will correct. It will not stay this high.

Building will cease at $8 a 2x4 before long.
Yes...Ordinarily, I'd agree with you and ultimately, you will be correct.

But there is something strange going on with Building Materials that hasn't been seen in a long while.
The manufacturers are manipulating supply more than they ever have. And manufacturing costs are rising faster than they every have.

I'm not ready to blame inflation for everything but something is just not right...

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I’m building a small platform for mounting a new mini-split sytem and I used chain link fence posts instead of 4x4s. Soon I will be constructing a larger mounting system for my solar panels and I will be using steel fence posts instead of treated wood posts. I will probably be buying rough cut wood from a local sawmill instead of store bought treated to try to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
An excellent article about the construction industry

·
Registered
449 Posts
I’m building a small platform for mounting a new mini-split sytem and I used chain link fence posts instead of 4x4s. Soon I will be constructing a larger mounting system for my solar panels and I will be using steel fence posts instead of treated wood posts. I will probably be buying rough cut wood from a local sawmill instead of store bought treated to try to save a few bucks.
I built a similar platform for my mini split unit.

A huge stump was close by and too close to other things to easily get a stump grinder in there.

So I thought that the stump would rot away then the unit would fall over.

So I sunk two 4x4 posts 48” into the ground and concreted them in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I plan on building a cover for it and to fill in the stump hole as it rots away. I would’ve used concrete if it hadn’t been for that stump. The hardware you see is stainless steel. Posts last a good 20 years here.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
I paid $27.81 for 3 stud grade 2 x 4 x 8's OTD on Tuesday to build a O/B motor stand that went with the motor last night.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started planning a greenhouse lean to. This is for a in between inside garden plants and planting them outside, when plants get 14" high I have to move in and out building. I live in a frost prone area.
I checked with Lowe's 4x4x8. $15.00.
There was no way I'm giving that. I was at my local amish greenhouse supply place and asked where to buy lumber.
I knew of numerous amish lumber places in the area, but he told me his supplier. It was off beaten path,
I arrived there, he had a band mill. I asked about 4x4 x8 poplar, they were $5.25 each. 2x4 were $2.35. Each.
Yes they are not treated, but I'm hitting 60, I'm not building it for my kids! I'm not supporting them, I raised them right! If I have a good 15 or 20 left, maybe it still will be standing. I actually plan to sell plants when I retire and will have to build a real one later, this is spur of moment. The amish in my area are worth a lot, to preppers.
I have a getaway in another county, I'm going to build a nice camping
House, and now I know where to buy the lumber! I already have the metal.
It turned out to be a good prepping day!

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
It seems that every day that passes includes another increase in Building Materials prices.

If and when this market starts to fall, it will fall fast and hard. Housing values will plunge and the foreclosure and mortgage industry may see another disaster like 2008/09

·
Super Moderator
9,171 Posts
If and when this market starts to fall, it will fall fast and hard. Housing values will plunge and the foreclosure and mortgage industry may see another disaster like 2008/09
Sadly, I think that's part of the plan.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I started planning a greenhouse lean to. This is for a in between inside garden plants and planting them outside, when plants get 14" high I have to move in and out building. I live in a frost prone area.
I checked with Lowe's 4x4x8. $15.00.
There was no way I'm giving that. I was at my local amish greenhouse supply place and asked where to buy lumber.
I knew of numerous amish lumber places in the area, but he told me his supplier. It was off beaten path,
I arrived there, he had a band mill. I asked about 4x4 x8 poplar, they were $5.25 each. 2x4 were $2.35. Each.
Yes they are not treated, but I'm hitting 60, I'm not building it for my kids! I'm not supporting them, I raised them right! If I have a good 15 or 20 left, maybe it still will be standing. I actually plan to sell plants when I retire and will have to build a real one later, this is spur of moment. The amish in my area are worth a lot, to preppers.
I have a getaway in another county, I'm going to build a nice camping
House, and now I know where to buy the lumber! I already have the metal.
It turned out to be a good prepping day!
You could use some 1” pvc. Or 3/4 if your doing a small one.,

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree you are right. I had one years ago, it was a store bought. High winds destroyed it. The only reason I went this way was, I bought 5/16 thick polycarbonate sheets. I will need to build a real greenhouse, in about 3 yrs. This one will be attached to a poured concrete wall on a detached building. The sheets were cheaper than a roll of 6mil.
It's only for about a month, of use..but I'm sure I will use it more later. I'm just experimenting a different way. I have a indoor grow box, that allows plants to get over a foot. My biggest problem is my late frosting area. I have neighbors that live 400yrd away, they don't get frost, and I can have a garden destroyed. One year I lost a big garden on may 15, it broke me from being any earlier. I do take chances , but just don't put out a entire garden anymore until late may. We had a entire month of april with no frost, I got brave and put everything out. My mistake.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I’m totally fed up with the crazy lumber prices charged today. We have several sawmills and numerous farmers in the area that sell rough cut. I’ll be buying that until the prices return to something approaching normal. And if you need to put a post in the ground, consider using chain link fence posts. Cheaper and galvanized steel will outlast the treated posts.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts