Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I keep my Ranger Handbook in my Bug out bag... I have had it since I completed the school and now use it when camping and teaching my God Sons the information in it...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Sorry
I don't know why anyone would waste weight and space carrying a book to tell them what they should already know.

Is it just me?

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Sorry
I don't know why anyone would waste weight and space carrying a book to tell them what they should already know.

Is it just me?
Only some of the time MR, only some of the time. :lol:

I saw above that someone mentioned the S.A.S. book. I have it, it's pretty good and it's compact. I would also get a good book on Orienteering. I have one, but forgot the name of it. PM me and I'll dig it out.

Another one not often thought of are the Boy Scout Field Books. I have a couple of them (older) as well as a copy of the original Boy Scout Handbook, the one we used when I was in Scouts (80's), and the one we used when I was a Troop Commissioner and Asst. Scoutmaster about 8 years ago. You can find them APLENTY on E-Bay or Amazon.

I totally recommend the Army Field Manual on Outdoor Survival, but it's hundreds of pages (676). I printed it out (the parts that applied to the info I wanted), pissed off the wife, went through a couple cartridges of ink and nearly burnt up the printer, but I have a hard copy!!!! https://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

I have no issue with tossing in a survival manual that doesn't take up much space or add much weight. If you're in a situation where you're surviving in the wilderness, and a little bit of panic or anxiety sets in, a book may not only "slow you down a little bit" and re-focus you, but it can also give you some help in getting your grasp back on the basics. Plus, when you're bored, watching the stars, you can read.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
There aren't really any books dedicated to particular climates with a fair amount of good survival information besides. One of the best I've seen in general is the SAS Handbook and I pack a copy in my BOB. It's pretty thick, but that's because it's got a lot of info which is very good. It's still very packable and definitely worth it.

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation: John 'Lofty' Wiseman: 9780061733192: Amazon.com: Books
Got this one on my Kindle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.