Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I keep my Ranger Handbook in my Bug out bag... I have had it since I completed the school and now use it when camping and teaching my God Sons the information in it...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Sorry
I don't know why anyone would waste weight and space carrying a book to tell them what they should already know.

Is it just me?

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
Sorry
I don't know why anyone would waste weight and space carrying a book to tell them what they should already know.

Is it just me?
That's fine if your memory is good. Mine's not what it used to be. My wife makes sure I have my drivers license so I don't forget who I am or where I live.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Sorry

Is it just me?
Only some of the time MR, only some of the time. :lol:

I saw above that someone mentioned the S.A.S. book. I have it, it's pretty good and it's compact. I would also get a good book on Orienteering. I have one, but forgot the name of it. PM me and I'll dig it out.

Another one not often thought of are the Boy Scout Field Books. I have a couple of them (older) as well as a copy of the original Boy Scout Handbook, the one we used when I was in Scouts (80's), and the one we used when I was a Troop Commissioner and Asst. Scoutmaster about 8 years ago. You can find them APLENTY on E-Bay or Amazon.

I totally recommend the Army Field Manual on Outdoor Survival, but it's hundreds of pages (676). I printed it out (the parts that applied to the info I wanted), pissed off the wife, went through a couple cartridges of ink and nearly burnt up the printer, but I have a hard copy!!!! https://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

I have no issue with tossing in a survival manual that doesn't take up much space or add much weight. If you're in a situation where you're surviving in the wilderness, and a little bit of panic or anxiety sets in, a book may not only "slow you down a little bit" and re-focus you, but it can also give you some help in getting your grasp back on the basics. Plus, when you're bored, watching the stars, you can read.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
There aren't really any books dedicated to particular climates with a fair amount of good survival information besides. One of the best I've seen in general is the SAS Handbook and I pack a copy in my BOB. It's pretty thick, but that's because it's got a lot of info which is very good. It's still very packable and definitely worth it.

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation: John 'Lofty' Wiseman: 9780061733192: Amazon.com: Books
Got this one on my Kindle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.