Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have all of my contents ready but need to purchase a bag. What do you use or recommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
this is 1 of those to debates that has been covered ad nauseam.
I believe it is a matter of personal preference. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get away with the camouflage backpack like hunters wear. In urban enter, camouflage tends to stand out a lot more.
I prefer a nondescript solid color. another issue is your size. Most recommend not carrying any more than 30 to 40 percent of your body weight. For a small person a smaller bag would be in order and vice versa. My ruck weighs about 35 pounds, which I can lug around all day at ease. Sorry I know I am NOT of much help in selecting your bag.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If your going to walk with it any distance you will want a frame

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I like non-framed packs myself and have walked long distances with them, but the pack has to fit you well and you need to be smart about how you pack it. Distribute weight to balance it and make sure nothing is poking you in the back. Maxpedition makes some very good ones and I use a Vulture II right now. YYK zippered pockets that keep small things in. Intelligent designs of pocket layout and water bladder ready. Good strap support, high quality materials and high quality sewing. Lots of people using them these days too. And selling them.

Tactical Nylon Gear Backpacks, Military Assault Packs for Bug Out, Survival, Outdoor

044-0514_vulture.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
LA Police Gear has had 3-day packs on sale for something like $29.99 for quite some time. I have 3 of them, and they are great for the price. If money is no object, Maxpedition has some great bags, but you are talking $125 and up. To me, the LAPG bags are adequate for my purposes. I don't intend to be hiking into the bush for a hundred miles! I do have one Maxpedition bag that I use for "day hikes", but my "survival" bags are the LAPG ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like the large alice bag with frame. It has many different storage pockets and I can fit all of my gear comfortably and organized. You can find one at a local military store or online cheap.Only con is it looks massive on my girl who is 5'3. Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
LA Police Gear has had 3-day packs on sale for something like $29.99 for quite some time. I have 3 of them, and they are great for the price. If money is no object, Maxpedition has some great bags, but you are talking $125 and up. To me, the LAPG bags are adequate for my purposes. I don't intend to be hiking into the bush for a hundred miles! I do have one Maxpedition bag that I use for "day hikes", but my "survival" bags are the LAPG ones.
I second that. I have 2 of them and both of them are doing well after about 2 years of use. However, I did have a faulty 1 that fell apart after about a year. LAPS CS was awesome and they warrantied the old 1 and send me a new 1 free of charge!
the downside to the bags is that they are not built for heavy loads or heavy use as evidenced by the shoulder straps and the stitching

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
RedHead® Spike Camp Frame Packs | Bass Pro Shops

This is what I am using but damn it I paid full price!!! I want a do over, lol!

Is this the best bag? Probably not as I am sure there are better but I am pretty happy with it. Its pretty large, holds a lot of gear and is very comfortable to wear when loaded with 40 plus pounds of gear. I have had mine now for over a year and have put it through to pretty tough camp outs, a few hiking trips and have been pretty satisfied with it. For 69.00 fun dollars...I think its a bargan!!! I might go and get another one for that price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your backpack should be durable, have fully adjustable straps, external pouches or the ability to easily add them, and a comfortable waist belt for effective weight distribution.

The most durable backpacks available are military surplus. These packs are built to survive uses and conditions that far exceed anything that mainstream retail bags are designed to handle. If you choose military, do NOT purchase a copy or knock-off.

I have 2. One is a medium ALICE w/Hellcat Mod, which I really like. The other is a MOLLE II Rifleman, which I'm still playing with. The Hellcat has an external aluminum frame that I beefed up. The Rifleman has an upgraded external composite frame. The MOLLE pack is a tad larger, the Hellcat is more comfortable. Right now, the Hellcat is my B.O.B. and will most likely remain so. In case you're wondering, I purchased the Hellcat mod from Tony's Tactical Surplus and Supplies. The MOLLE II pack was given to me by a friend - who purchased a Hellcat mod. Go figger...

Frames: You need a frame for any load over 35 lbs. I personally prefer external frames because they are more durable and can be used for other purposes. I've tried internal framed packs (CFP-90 and ILBE) and I don't like them. The frames are sketchy at best, and the primary reason both the Rangers and Marines replaced them.

Adjustable Straps: Both my Hellcat and MOLLE II can be custom "torso fit" through the adjustable shoulder straps. That means you can custom fit the pack straps to your body for maximum comfort and perfect weight distribution. I like 80% on the hips and 20% on the shoulders.

Comfortable Waist Belt: A comfortable waist belt distributes the weight to your hips and helps support your lower back. It also helps secure the entire load to your body and keeps the weight from shifting which help to maintain your balance.

TIP: It is better to make a medium pack larger by adding pouches than it is to make a large pack smaller with less gear. And, before I forget, I don't recommend the Large ALICE pack because, once loaded, the center of gravity is too far away from your back.

TIP: I carry two drysacks (military) in my B.O.B., but I pack everything in zip top freezer bags. Squish out the air, zip up and stash. Not only does this waterproof my gear, if the pack should ever fall into a river or lake, it floats... I use the drysacks for laundry, water storage, bear bag, etc... Plus, you will always have extra water containers handy.

That said, the bottom line is simple. Whether civilian or military, the pack you choose must suit you, your purposes and your circumstances.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I stand 5' 3", and what I use is a medium sized ALICE pack. It can fit plenty, but not too much for me. I love the external frame, and the pack itself seems really durable. I got mine for $35 with the frame at a gun show, the fame was used but the pack itself was in almost perfect, new condition. For anyone of smaller statue, or anyone looking for a pack that won't swallow them up, I'd recommend that.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here is how the rednecks in New York get 'er done!

Just be careful you don't run over the chickens in your front driveway!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The most durable backpacks available are military surplus
Maybe in the old days, but this is not really true anymore. Saying authorized for military use would be more realistic as today soldiers have a wide amount of products on the commercial market they are authorized to use and wear. I know firsthand that while the Alice pack is a good basic pack, the nylon denier, sewing and design are in no way better than a Maxpedition pack, Eagle, Spec Ops Brand and many others. All of those are authorized gear to be used in lots of units though.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Most "military surplus" stores are a joke. Stuff is made to stock them these days---just like the retail "outlets"
Lots of the items in them I see sold as issued or surplus are either cheap Chinese knockoffs or way overpriced for what they are. I shop mostly on the net these days, but I also know what's what mostly and what I want.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Everything I currently have as a bag/pack/container is military surplus. I need to branch out and try some other things, but with the correct sewing awl and strapping you can modify/reinforce most pouches and bags into useful gear for little to no money.

Gun shows and flea markets, depending on your region, are a great source for genuine surplus. If you are handy with a sewing awl you can get really great prices on cosmetically less desirable stock as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would recommend a daypack, something that holds around 2000 cubic inches. Any more than that and you'll be tempted to carry a bunch of stuff you don't need. You can get some pretty good ones in camping stores like REI or EMS. The light ones are a little more expensive but it's worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I got a decent bag but can't figure out how to attach the sleeping bag with out it either hitting me in the legs when walking or my head if I bend over.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts