Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a decent pack that lasts more then a year or two. I have went through 5.11, LAPG, brand name, off brand name packs in this size, and for the life of me I can't get them to last more then two years.

Which pack do you ask? Here's a link to an Amazon version www.amazon.com/Military-Tactical-Backpack-Backpacks-Rucksack/dp/B01KJP36QU

I like that size - it works for me. I like the pockets/layouts and I like the molle attachments. I hate the fact that on each one something falls appart.... I don't carry it often on my back, but I toss it into the jeep or one of my other cars every time I get out of the house. On this last one, the internal weatherproofing is falling apart and the shoulder straps are starting to come out of the pack on the edges (looks like the skimped on the material and the thread was too close to the edge).

I have spent nearly 2 bills on one, and I have spent as little as $25 on one (that's the one that I think went just a hair over 2 years). I use them the same way, loaded the same......

So if you have one that you're happy with and it can recommend it, throw out the brand and the model along with your experience, as I'm ready for a new pack.....

thanks!

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Lowe Alpine 25L top loader pack has held up 25 years for me, very heavy use. Tough cordura.

This one

1 lowe.png

Big pack is Dana Design terraplane, back when made in Bozemann MT.

Another pack that lasts a lifetime. Top/side loader. Excellent suspension, carried > 80 lbs on it.

1 dana.png

Mt Blanc. External frame. Refurb with better hip belt. You need external frame for really big nasty stuff or 1/4 of a moose

1 mt blanc.png

edit: ^ my first big pack, it needed a better hip belt, did that. It carries what YOU can. Original clothing/pack is not up to date but works fine . You can strap on whatever you body will carry. Get a better hip belt for weight.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Myself, I have USGI medium alice packs with frame and shelf.

I hardly ever use them, now set up to BO if needed.

They are around 30 years old and have stood up quite well.

Here is a picture of the pack and frame.

View attachment 108779

Shelf is not shown but fits in the slots at bottom of the frame.
I have three of these medium Alice Packs myself, too find them to be very very durable, and lots of outside pockets to be able to get at needed stuff quick and easy. Don't really like the frame, and hate that nearly useless little shelf which A) is not wide enough to provide any support, and B) keeps coming off easily. I bought a few aluminum elk packing frames at Bi-Mart ($79 each) and attached the packs to them. Spreads the weight much better, and has a more comfortable and robust waist and hip strap. Also, it has a proper fold-down shelf on the bottom... your sleeping bag locks right in there with a couple bungee cords and stays put.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
I had/have that exact pack OP. I used mine heavy for years with no issues. Maybe not the same brand but the style. I still use it for hauling ammo win I go shooting.

I did splurge and upgrade to a Hill People Gear bag. I've had mine for about a year and no issues.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/8

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
P.S. get a quality pack rain cover, for a full pack one that covers/can cover, your head when treking. Mushy wet back sucks setting up camp

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, not looking for going with an alice pack... Wish they made the small tactical packs more sturdy 🙂

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
You can't go wrong with any pack from Maxpedition. They are a bit pricey however.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I gave my A.L.I.C.E. away since it hurt my back.

I just looked into my woodland MolleII Ruck and found I didn't have any trousers in there. This hurts my back, but it will stay in the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts