Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a dear 32 yr. old friend who would like to find a homestead or agricultural environment to move to. We're looking for a permaculture commune, or a farm-life co-op where a person can move into living quarters and work for room and board. Even though the word "commune" brings to mind wild druggie groups from the '60s it's the best word to use in describing what we're looking for.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmm, my parents lived as part of something like that while I was a baby. They stayed in a converted milking barn, with my dad doing maintenance around the property to pay rent. My mom worked in the garden like the others, and she would bake homemade bread to trade for things like fresh eggs, milk, honey, meat, etc. They didn't even have TV or a phone, and the washing machine was outside on the porch. But they both said it was the best place they ever lived, until they had to move because my mom got pregnant again (with twins) and they had to find a larger place. That was in Catalina, AZ in the early 90's, I've heard that the town has changed a lot since then. But places like that do exist, good luck to your friend!

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
You may also want to Google "intentional community" for some ideas.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes we have spent some time looking at all the Intentional Community sites. Pretty good stuff.

Let me explain our situation a little bit more . . .

We live in a very rural area where there are 3 farms that join property to each other on a long private lane back in a wooded area. We discovered several years ago that all three families share the same political, social, and lifetime goals ideas. A situation made in heaven. three years ago we formed a small mutual assistance group (MAG) here. We have become very close with our shared plans and preparations. One of our neighbors has a 32 yr. old daughter who is living alone in a small house on their property. She was in an abusive marriage when she was 24 through 27 years old. Luckily they had no children to complicate maters. Jane (Jane Doe) is a wonderful gal with a wonderful personality, very intelligent, hard worker, with a deep rooted love for all things rural and farmy (is that a word?). She is also drop dead gorgeous. Even though she has a bachelor's degree in journalism she is the best in these parts when it comes to handling farm animals and veggie gardening. She is trying very hard to deal with trust issues with the opposite sex and most of the 30-something men around here are more into beer, their pickup trucks, beer, fishing poles, beer, rifles, beer, and a quick roll in the hay with every girl within reach. Yup, we have more than our share of disgusting rednecks around here.

I guess at 32 she wants to get out there in the world again and start to live life again. Obviously she would like to get away from mommy and daddy to go on with her life. We will miss her as she has been an important player in our MAG preparations. She talks to my wife often about a desire to go to a farm or farming community where she can blend in with the folks there and work together for self sufficiency. One of the other members of our MAG has posted about this on another website and has received some pretty good ideas.

So that's what this is all about. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I suggest she connect on Facebook with established 'Green' local initiatives, often called 'sustainable' communities. Some of these are also based on a type of farming. I belong to a FB group regarding chickens, many of the folks have urban chickens but, a few of us are rural. Just about every county in my state has a 'Sustain________' group in it and often times there are organic farmers looking for WOOFERS, (working on an organic farm). From there, she can make connections. It's not unusual to see a few people asking for a place to live in exchange for work. Many of us trade livestock, and we offer a lot of farming tips to each other too. Mine actually does a reskilling seminar every year to get folks up to speed on how to do the old fashioned skills we need to survive in case of societal demise. It's not a commune at all, but a loose collection of people, predominantly organic farmers and or small scale farmers, back to the land types who promote a sustainable and local economy. They are trying to establish a time bank, where we trade work for work. They offer a lot of good information. Also, look around to see who has organic farms. They are often looking for labor. With a degree in journalism I would think it could be profitable for her to blog about her experience. Some cities have urban farming movements that perhaps can help get her going too. Also, there is some money available to women who want to do agriculture. I would think a woman as smart as she is could easily write a grant and get herself going in a small scale farming venture.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I suggest she connect on Facebook with established 'Green' local initiatives, often called 'sustainable' communities. Some of these are also based on a type of farming. I belong to a FB group regarding chickens, many of the folks have urban chickens but, a few of us are rural. Just about every county in my state has a 'Sustain________' group in it and often times there are organic farmers looking for WOOFERS, (working on an organic farm). From there, she can make connections. It's not unusual to see a few people asking for a place to live in exchange for work. Many of us trade livestock, and we offer a lot of farming tips to each other too. Mine actually does a reskilling seminar every year to get folks up to speed on how to do the old fashioned skills we need to survive in case of societal demise. It's not a commune at all, but a loose collection of people, predominantly organic farmers and or small scale farmers, back to the land types who promote a sustainable and local economy. They are trying to establish a time bank, where we trade work for work. They offer a lot of good information. Also, look around to see who has organic farms. They are often looking for labor. With a degree in journalism I would think it could be profitable for her to blog about her experience. Some cities have urban farming movements that perhaps can help get her going too. Also, there is some money available to women who want to do agriculture. I would think a woman as smart as she is could easily write a grant and get herself going in a small scale farming venture.
I was also going to mention a blog..I know of a few places that have been looking for farm help in exchange for a small salary and room and board... The weather is harsh here in Montana though and most places are VERY far out so she will have little time to go to town to socialize.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts