Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was talking to my prepping buddy today about survival on our BOT (bug out trip). We call it this because we are currently stuck in NC. Until we move next year our BOL is months of hiking away. We will make use of vehicles if possible but we have planned for the worst and intend on wilderness living until we reach our destination.

That being said, one concern is food procurement. I can actually provide enough food for most of the trip if we can forage, hunt, and fish along the way. Mr.PineTree has had experience with a longbow and seems to think its weight and ease of use provides a good option in a pinch.

So... Where can I purchase one? (I'd like to give it a try before I start making them)
And... What are your experiences with the longbow? Would you carry one?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bow hunting.... unless you have years of experience.... is not as "fruitful" as rifle hunting. Many bow hunters do get game... but it's usually from a stand... and not from armed hiking. I'd assume you would hunt as you travel? If so... you will need a quick reaction weapon for when you stumble across food or hostile humans. A bow... though quiet... is far from ideal in this situation. That being said.... a bow has many uses and I'd say you need to decide if it's worth the weight. For example... I cut my toothbrush in half to reduce weight in my pack (every ounce adds up). I'm sure as hell not going to carry a bow (and all of it's associated gear) on the odd chance I might need it. If it really comes down to it... a better option is to put a silencer on your long rifle (or pistol) and use it to hunt. They can easily be purchased (or manufactured). Heck... several companies even sell "adaptors" for oil filters.... which work wonderfully (or so I'm told).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of thought the same but wasn't sure. I'd still like to learn to shoot one. It looks like fun. If I were to carry something like that I think it'd be a crossbow. I've had plenty of experience and I'm confident with them. Good for defense and hunting small game. When I was younger I carried them on hikes for the bobcats we have here.

He's more experienced so I'd certainly trust him to do his thing. I've never heard him say anything he couldn't back up 100% so I'll leave the more primitive stuff to him. Give me a quiet little .22 any day. I'm not a big fan of the idea of carrying a 12 point buck for 6 hours a day.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Buck...? You are more likely to run across a stray dog or cat while moving to your BOL. They are a heck of a lot lighter and semi-tasty. Well... cats are great in stir-fry... but I doubt you will be bugging out with a wok and some sesame seed oil. ;)

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Longbows are an awesome and pinnacle weapon when wielded by someone with a little practice. They were the rifle until gunpowder was invented. Boarrior bows makes some great English style longbows by hand. My best friend taught me archery when I was like 14, him and his dad were from Poland where it was a big pastime. His younger brother Bobby could hit eggs with broadheads at like 50 yards. I still have a couple working Olympic style fiberglass longbows here in the studio and make my own arrows. I ought to do a video on that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I said compound bow too. He likes the simplicity of the longbow I think, plus he's experienced with the longbow.

Leon, I've shot a compound bow and as it turns out, I'm a pretty darn good shot. I was a bit of a natural with the rifles and handguns I've shot. Is the longbow a difficult tool to master?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I dunno man, to me it's like you aim by instinct and not actual eyesight. It's crazy talk, I know- but I have hit more targets with two eyes than aiming. Matter of fact I usually have both eyes open when I shoot. Compound bow? Rock on, man- they have way greater tolerances and extra power. They will also split or shatter handmade arrows. Only metal carbon or fiberglass arrows work in those and most crossbows. People don't realize this- compound bows require manufactured arrows, a handmade one will shatter or snap under the extra power. Bolts are easier to make, but then again will snap if you fire them from a compound crossbow. I didn't buy that "Revolution" horton evolution bow just because of that. It needs metal or carbon bolts or it will destroy them- no making my own.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't sound crazy at all. That's how I shoot everything and I do fine. You make a good point about it being the rifle before the rifle. Also it would be nice to make my own ammo. I might see how proficient I can become.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm a pretty darn good shot.
When I hear this I usually translate it as "when I'm under zero pressure... have all the time in the world to make the shot... am well rested... don't NEED to make a kill shot with my first arrow just to eat that day... and am NOT carrying a 40lb pack."

Add even a bit of stress to your shot and... well... you can always eat grass and tree bark that day and try again tomorrow. :)

Reactions: nadja

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
When I hear this I usually translate it as "when I'm under zero pressure... have all the time in the world to make the shot... am well rested... don't NEED to make a kill shot with my first arrow just to eat that day... and am NOT carrying a 40lb pack."

Add even a bit of stress to your shot and... well... you can always eat grass and tree bark that day and try again tomorrow. :)
I agree. I'm gonna' start trying your method and shooting with a stick up my butt. :mrgreen:

Nah my Uncle taught me with the rifle. He made sure I understood what it meant to shoot under pressure. When I say I'm a good shot with the rifle you can believe it.

Other than that I've never HAD to shoot to survive. My survival skill set is geared much more toward fishing, foraging, and trapping. I can keep my wits and coordination longer than the average bear when it comes to food and rest deprivation but again I've never been forced to shoot under those conditions.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This brings up another good question and maybe I should search other forums for it but what's the best way to train yourself for those stress situations? and what experience do you have?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very true bout the arrows, never thought bout breakage. I would imagine you would get a pretty good supply and make sure you retreive any from your kill. I never considered making my own, or needing to. If you were careful, and used the arrows for only a kill. I dont see why you couldnt use any arrow, wood alum or carbon/fiberglass. My not be pinpoint accurate, but im sure you could make the shot.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I see the wisdom in a good recurve and agree in the point made about wooden handmade arrows. Another is bow string replacement. You can make one for a recurve with time and effort. I don't know if I could for a compound. Maybe, but I've always liked recurves since shooting them as a boy and never took to compounds from the one I owned to the others I've shot. I've been meaning to get a new recurve for some time now and have my eye on a Hoyt Dorado in black/maple, but I'm not as good with one as I am with a rifle. In that aspect while I value it for silent killing, I won't be bugging out on foot with it and a couple dozen arrows. In the BOV, yes, but if I have to go to ground and leave my vehicle behind, I'll bury it with the possibly of coming back to it. For bugging in or at the BOL if I have it, it would definitely get use. Yeah, it's not as good as a rifle, but it's still silent and letting someone know you took some game could be a dangerous thing depending on the situation. Especially with the population we've got today who in large have got the idea their entitled as special human beings to you helping them if they need or want it. When the shtf, game will be in short supply as the population depletes it and what's left goes further into the rural density. I fully concur that there will be quite a few loose domesticated animals out there, left to roam, left for dead by there former owners for a time. There meat, no doubt about it and I've no problem throwing fiddo on the fire with some seasoning rub. Those loose dogs will be a problem in other ways too once left to fend for themselves and will pack also. That bow could be quite handy.

Hoyt Hunting Recurves - HOYT.com

Hoyt-Dorado-60-Zoll.jpg

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
In a pinch you can use kevlar cord for a string on a longbow, don't think I would try it on a compound bow. A longbow works well on rabbits and other small game and won't break down like a compound bow can. Simple is generally more sustainable over long periods.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Better off with a .22 Lr of some kind AR 7 Henry maybe. Long bow may me a tool once settled in

·
Registered
640 Posts
This brings up another good question and maybe I should search other forums for it but what's the best way to train yourself for those stress situations? and what experience do you have?
That is actually a very complicated answer... depending on what you are envisioning. Stress can be caused by danger (an animal charging to someone throwing rocks at you to someone shooting at you.) You could have a friend or family member being held at knife point and you've got to miss them and hit the bad guy. You can be tired/exhausted from hiking at speed for the past 36 hours. You could be using an unfamiliar bow. You could be in an emotional state (i.e., distress from just losing a friend or family member or outright anger). You could be moving while shooting... over uneven ground. You could be injured or weak from hunger... or a hundred other things. Each is uniquely different and requires a different type of mental and physical preparation.

We all realize that the reality is that you will use whatever tools you have available be it a gun, bow, or towel rack.... but you want to maximize your chances of success at all times.

I'm glad people like Leon are naturals with a bow... and envy that skill... but some of us (i.e., me) have to practice hard and regularly to be even semi-good. I've used a bow for years... and manage to hit the target 9 out of 10 times (until I start to get muscle fatigue). And I hit the bulls-eye about 1 out of 20 times. I'm just not a natural and no amount of practice will make me Olympic quality. So... I use what i know and what I can shoot well. And... I don't want to take the time to make wooden arrows unless I'm desperate. I'd rather spend the time hunting, gathering, scouting, etc.

Reactions: MountainMan

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's simply another tool in the toolbox. If you've got it, you can use and be silent. Silencers for rifles, atleast the good one's not made from a tin can and some half used toilet paper cost money and require NFA paperwork, approval and a body cavity search of your freedom with no lube from a heavy handed guberment representive who had his/her nose up Obamalamdingdong's butt two seconds before trying to look good for the boss. Whether you want to be legal anyways. It won't matter if the country collapses, but we're not there yet. I can't see carry one bugging out on foot for the weight compared to other options myself, but we're all different with different skills.

·
Registered
466 Posts
A good .22 bolt action rifle, two boxes of 50 ea shells, and if your a good hunter, you shall eat. A long bow, besides being very unweildy in a lot of situations, not very good after 50 yards or so. Loses power very fast, arrows can deflect off even a very small limb. Arrows break very easy and not so easy in the bush to replace. Even bambi can be taken down with a lowly .22, and cleaner at that. Another thing about a long bow vs. a .22 rifle. Try laying down to make a concealed long shot with your long bow.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts