Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, dusted off my 30-378 Weatherby Magnum today, it's a Mark V Terramark, I can accurately hit a dip can at 750 yards ( as far as my property allows ) I shoot 200 grain Nosler Partitions, I've killed three deer with it and yes I know it's over powered. Today my one buddy came over with his 264 Winchester Magnum, if I am not mistaken it was a Model 7, never the less we were shooting and enjoying the day when he asked me why I opted for a 30-378 and not the 257 Weatherby. My answer was that if I was going to spend X amount of money on a rifle, I wanted it to be able to not be limited to one game animal, which by no means is the 257, however with the 30-378 one can take a variety of game a larger variety. He then made the statement that overall the 264 would be a better rifle for surviving dooms day, he said it was lighter, easier to shoot, not nearly as loud and more suitable for " the most dangerous game " when it came to stopping a possible threat. Now there is no arguing, his rifle is lighter, it is easier to shoot and no where near as loud, but when I told him that my rifle was capable of shooting 1000 yards plus with enough energy to defeat soft kevlar he argued saying the 264 was the better choice. I'm just posing the question here for all the gun-minded individuals out there, would you rather a larger caliber ( that you're comfortable shooting ) with more overall stopping power, or would you rather a smaller caliber ( that you're also comfortable with ) with less overall stopping power ? I do advise everyone who answers takes into consideration we are talking about distances 500 yards +

Side note: I am well aware that a 223, 243 ect ect... are capable of 500 yard shots on deer sized game, most dangerous game sized game, by no means am I trying to degrade any other caliber.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Hey everyone, dusted off my 30-378 Weatherby Magnum today, it's a Mark V Terramark, I can accurately hit a dip can at 750 yards ( as far as my property allows ) I shoot 200 grain Nosler Partitions, I've killed three deer with it and yes I know it's over powered. Today my one buddy came over with his 264 Winchester Magnum, if I am not mistaken it was a Model 7, never the less we were shooting and enjoying the day when he asked me why I opted for a 30-378 and not the 257 Weatherby. My answer was that if I was going to spend X amount of money on a rifle, I wanted it to be able to not be limited to one game animal, which by no means is the 257, however with the 30-378 one can take a variety of game a larger variety. He then made the statement that overall the 264 would be a better rifle for surviving dooms day, he said it was lighter, easier to shoot, not nearly as loud and more suitable for " the most dangerous game " when it came to stopping a possible threat. Now there is no arguing, his rifle is lighter, it is easier to shoot and no where near as loud, but when I told him that my rifle was capable of shooting 1000 yards plus with enough energy to defeat soft kevlar he argued saying the 264 was the better choice. I'm just posing the question here for all the gun-minded individuals out there, would you rather a larger caliber ( that you're comfortable shooting ) with more overall stopping power, or would you rather a smaller caliber ( that you're also comfortable with ) with less overall stopping power ? I do advise everyone who answers takes into consideration we are talking about distances 500 yards +

Side note: I am well aware that a 223, 243 ect ect... are capable of 500 yard shots on deer sized game, most dangerous game sized game, by no means am I trying to degrade any other caliber.
During "Doomsday" where will you be finding wildcat weatherby ammo at?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Think Texas Bigger is always better. Iowa Class Battleships didnt have 8 inch main guns, son they had 16 inch main guns you know why because they didnt have 18 inch guns

Reactions: Mosinator762x54r

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Best rifle and caliber is what is the job at hand? Just different tools to accomplish different jobs. If you only have a hammer everything is a nail. Around here there are very few opportunities to shoot at a thousand yards plus I am not up to scratch to do it well. 30-06 works well for where I live and what I am capable of. However large hunks placed precisely at long distance have their place and uses. I like the 338 lapua, 416 cheyenne and the 50 cal. Just make sure you have stock piled plenty of spare parts and ammo regardless of how common or uncommon the firearm and caliber are.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If I can't kill it with 210gr brown bear coming out of my mosin I probably shouldn't be shooting at it. I shoot with .270 Winchester and 7.62x54r out of a 21 3/4" Mosin. If I am shooting small game I'll use 22LR or .223

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
And his 264 win mag will be shot out after a few hundred rounds, Yep its a screamer, Yep it will kill anything in N. America, but my 338 lapua will still be shootin sub MOA long after his 264 is shot out

Reactions: Pir8fan

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Think Texas Bigger is always better. Iowa Class Battleships didnt have 8 inch main guns, son they had 16 inch main guns you know why because they didnt have 18 inch guns
In the original debates of 1938, CNO Admiral Leahy requested review of 18" for installation in future ships.

There were problems fitting those size guns on a 45,000 ton ship with a beam of less than 110 feet, needed to go through the Panama Canal.

The Iowa class were to use 16" 50 cal. MK-2 guns built for WW1 ships.

A small problem came up, the barbettes were made too small to fit the turret for the MK-2 gun.

A newer model of the MK-2 was the MK-7 made narrower to fit the turret.

They should have never stricken these ships from the registry. One is still In mothballs in Bremerton, I think.

They can do gunfire support that no weapon can do.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to pass by the 264 Winchester or better yet the 7mm Rem Mag. Both use incredibly high BC bullets that retain velocity very well and the modest sized magnum cases can move them along at a pretty dang fair clip. Both are very capable at hitting a man sized target at well over 1000 yards and punch his ticket, do it with a lot less recoil a lot less powder and cost a hell of a lot less per a round too. With todays modern powders, the 264 can hang about as long as a 300 Win Mag can, especially if you give the 264's barrel a minute or two to cool off a bit before firing the next round. Even the 264 Winchester is quiet capable of shooting 1500 rounds plus before you start to see excessive barrel wear...How many folks out there are shooting more than 1500 rounds of center fire magnum ammunition over the course of a couple of decades? Im thinking not too many...

I have used a 7mm Rem Mag to drop game animals as large as Moose, no problem. Just put a well constructed bullet where it belongs and its a done deal. Now don't get me wrong, I think the 7mm Rem Mag shines best on game animals Elk sized and under and at less than 400 yards which is further away than most can make a humane shot at, not all but most. I also like the fact that I pay about half of what the Weatherby or the Lapua would cost per a shot, that's where I think your friend has a leg to stand on the most. Cost less to shoot, means more time at the range which means I can improve my skills even more than I probably other wise would be able to. Not a big deal if you got more money than you know what to do with but I don't know that many people with that problem. Neither the 264 or the 7mm look as impressive on paper as the numbers the 30-338 or 338 Lapua put up but both will kill north American game (or bad guys) just as dead and just about as far as you can hit with any of the four of them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I vote for the 7mm Magnum... I can hit you out to at least 800 or more yards myself.. son in law can get you at 12 to 1500 with it... And I reload so they are pretty cheap as well..

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
The 300 Win mag has gotten get my vote. Ammo available everywhere. 30 caliber reloading bullets that work in my 308, 30 06, 300 blackout etc. I haven't found any advantage going with a wildcat cartridge. 100 or 200 FPS isn't worth the added costs. Plus I want the 225 grain bullets at 2700 fps plus, for punching through body armor, cars and turning cover into concealment.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I have taken down a 200 lb. deer with a 22 rifle at 15 yards , so with that said that's why all I use is a 22 . and a 380 to protect us . Hell a 22 between the eyes and your sleeping .

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The right 308' and 30.06 have been making 700 meter kills for a long time .Sure there are others that can do it better but at what cost.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ballistics on 150 Gr .270 winchester fit in with those two as well out at those distances because of the FPS the energy is still carrying out to the 500+ range. I wouldn't go much past a 700 yard shot with .270 but if I was pushed to do it I wouldn't be afraid to try if the wind wasn't blowing.

The right 308' and 30.06 have been making 700 meter kills for a long time .Sure there are others that can do it better but at what cost.

·
Registered
24,251 Posts
This might be helpful.

The You Tube dude goes about comparing rifle rounds in a scientific manner, and also suggests you also make a decision based on the availability of the round in your area.

·
Registered
24,251 Posts
Dangit. I didnt add the link.
It it stuck st the top of the long gun forum.

Sorry.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
This might be helpful.

The You Tube dude goes about comparing rifle rounds in a scientific manner, and also suggests you also make a decision based on the availability of the round in your area.
Yes I know the exact video your talking about and it was a eye opener for sure. The channel is by Theborex or something like that and its a quite stunning comparison of various calibers and their ballistics down range. I think he even has another one where he was using a 243 with a 105gr Hornady A-Max and making consistent 1200 yard plus shots on a man sized target down range IRRC. Ironically I bet many here would consider shooting a Texas White Tail beyond 300 yards with a 243 to be an act of heresey and unethical. This video you mentioned made some very good points and laid it out in a very logical method. As you also mentioned he brings up the availability issue...I can walk in to Walmart and pick up 7MM Rem Mag ammo just about any day of the week if there aint a run on ammo and the shelves are completely devoid of any ammunition, but whats the odds of walking in and finding 338 Lapua, or 50 BMG or 409 Cheytac on a good day much less times of unrest? How much is such ammo gonna cost you if it is available compared to the 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag or other "lesser" chamberings? Its a great video and one I recommend as its well worth the Gigs on your internet service and time to down load and watch!

I own a couple of heavily customized Remington 700's in 7mm Rem Mag and a customized 300 Win Mag in Remington 700. I was considering adding a 338 Lapua to my collection until I saw this video for anti Personnel Duties should they arise in the Zombie Apocolyps or the LA Riots or Baltimore Riots come to my neighborhood. It convinced me that in reality I already own a couple of guns that can handle that job just fine accomplishing what I wanted and do it without adding yet another gun to my collection or the need to stock another caliber and set of reloading components. It reminded me once again just how important the Ballistic Coeffcient is in the equation when it comes to long range shooting without having to resort to cavernous magnum cases in order to over come a bullet with a lesser BC measurement that are going to be in heavier guns, cost more to shoot and punish my shoulder more than neccissary. Now I say that when talking about anti personnel....if you need to include anti Material to your list of duties, then yes stepping up to some of the bigger calibers in bigger cases makes more sense and would likely perform better too!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts