Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
WoadWarrior there are also what they call digital modes of HAM radio. Those are computer/text chat only modes. One I use is called psk31 mode and I can text chat with people all over the world using my computer, my HAM radio, a simple wire antenna, and 100 watts or less of power. It's very cool. In the USA you need the general license to get out across the ocean. For starters I highly recommend the 1st level class called technician. With that u can still get out all over the world using other HAM tools such as the free program called Echolink or another Internet
Enabled method using repeaters called IRLP. There is a lot more to the hobby than just walkie-talkie type stuff.

Thanks DJ. My experience is limited. I've used CB, the little portable walkie-talkies, some military radios, some older VHF hand helds, and now I'm learning the new trunked emergency service radios for LE, fire, EMS, etc. This whole "dragging your talk group" issue is going to be hard to get used to. But... other than CB and the walkie-talkies, all of that experience is work related. The HAM idea seems like a great idea for establishing personal comms.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.