Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Long Distance Communication

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  WoadWarrior 
If you go with a CB... keep in mind they are commercially regulated in the US to somewhere around 5 watts of power (physical limitation by the manufacturer). I can't remember if that is exactly it but I'm sure someone can help me out. For years... Truckers have been getting busted for using boosters (i.e., huge fines) because they walk on everyone (anyone who uses them probably remembers getting blasted). However, if you are in a situation where you need one, I doubt the FCC equivalent in Germany will be around to complain. So... my recommendation would be to get a booster, hook it up to learn how (but use it at your own risk), then remove it and store it for emergencies. Also... with CBs... antenna height is an issue... so make sure you have a means of getting that sucker high for max range (but keep in mind... a visible antenna is it's own message) so you might want to figure out a way to mask it as well (maybe with an old worn weather beaten flag from some event a few ago. Let the neighbors get used to it and let anyone new thing it's a remnant from years past.

Reactions: survival
My idea to use two tin cans and some string doesn't sound so good anymore. :(

I was always interested in HAM radios... but it never went past interest. Too many things to do.... And.... I don't really like to talk to people although you wouldn't know it by my interaction on this forum. So... maybe I just don't like to "talk" but typing is o.k. Hmmm... time to psychoanalyze myself again. Do I think people are following me? Yes. Do I love my mother? Yes. Do I smell gasoline before I light the fuse? Yes. Yep.... I've definitely got a problem.... and I doubt learning about HAM radios will fix it.

Congrats by the way! :)

Reactions: survival
Thanks DJ. My experience is limited. I've used CB, the little portable walkie-talkies, some military radios, some older VHF hand helds, and now I'm learning the new trunked emergency service radios for LE, fire, EMS, etc. This whole "dragging your talk group" issue is going to be hard to get used to. But... other than CB and the walkie-talkies, all of that experience is work related. The HAM idea seems like a great idea for establishing personal comms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.