Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 days of haunting gun shops, finally got a gun yesterday. It's making me sad - going to give her an ugly name. But also glad to have one I think so I guess I'll give her a pretty name. It's a smith and wesson REVOLVER, which one great gun shop owner said is what I need. LOL, said the guy who sold me the short shotgun with a pump on the bottom was an idiot. After holding, feeling, trying to pull the thing back on semi automatics, and not seeing hammers on some, I liked everything about this one. Please wish me luck I can at last kill a water moccasin. :surrender:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am, I am, asap! My Mr. said today lots of hunters would be at the range adjusting their scopes, other things??, etc., but we're going asap and taking the 18 year old with us, who is already protesting.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Practice reloading. There are speed strips, speed loaders or you can just put one in at a time. S&W makes a fine wheel gun. Good choice. It's illegal to kill water moccasins though, Just sayin'.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This thread never happened if there are no PICTURES of your new purchase. J/K Glad you found what you were looking for. Be careful around them snakes, you will be a regular Clint Eastwood before you know it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Illegal to kill water moccasins? Even in Tejas? Every lake and stream here is overrun with them, yikes. I was most definitely wanting to kill at least one before I die. Thanks for the tip to practice reloading - I got one really big box of practice bullets and a smaller box of real ones.
Practice reloading. There are speed strips, speed loaders or you can just put one in at a time. S&W makes a fine wheel gun. Good choice. It's illegal to kill water moccasins though, Just sayin'.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Illegal to kill water moccasins? Even in Tejas? Every lake and stream here is overrun with them, yikes. I was most definitely wanting to kill at least one before I die. Thanks for the tip to practice reloading - I got one really big box of practice bullets and a smaller box of real ones.
ANYTIME, you are practicing handling the pistol in the house (not intending to shoot), please clear the area of all live rounds. This is standard operating procedure for experts/professionals that do a lot of dry fire/handling drills. They know it's too easy to make a mistake with loaded ammo in the area.

Stay safe and have fun,

AJ

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Salt-N-Pepper, it's a S&W model 10-5 Rev 38 spl - that's copied from my receipt. I think there's something else printed on the gun itself. I hope it fits me when I shoot it because I really liked the size, weight, 4" barrel. A couple of old guys were in the shop, and the owner had put it away for me yesterday 'cause I told him I had just begun looking & would be back if I decided on that one. One shopper there seemed shocked that he had that particular gun when the owner brought it out, and said it had "sweet action", lol. The other shopper began handling it and doing things with it and he said it had "beautiful action", lol again.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Most importantly, take lessons! Become familiar with your revolver (unloaded of course). After getting familiar with it and the lessons...practice...practice....practice! I myself love revolvers and I carry one daily. Finally, enjoy your new "friend".

Reactions: Coolwater

·
Registered
682 Posts
Get yourself a pack of snap caps(dummy rounds, no powder or primer, protects the firing pin when dry firing). They are various colors so no mistaking them for live rounds. You can dry fire a lot with those, gets you used to the trigger, you can handle the reload practice safely, a must have for new owners. They build your confidence. Any you guys know if they make a .38sp snake/shot load? I'll search a bit, reduces your need to be deadly accurate on a snake.

Edit: just saw that CCI makes a .38sp snake shot round. Read a review from a guy that was using a 4" S&W model 10 to dispatch about 8 rattlesnakes in his travels. The snake shot is a bullet that fragments and has a shotgun like pattern to the fragments.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, Inor. I haven't got to hear how loud it is yet, but it's very pretty. The funny thing is, I was already set for getting another short shotgun. One gun shop had 3 with no stocks, tried to sell me one of those, but they looked really dumb, like a pistol with a very long barrel. Second shop had 2 of those, and when I said same thing, he said they sold stocks to go on them. He also said those would break my arm no bigger than I am, so I am thankful for some helpful guys running some shops.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
REDHAWK, where do you carry it? I asked to see bags or holsters, something for it, and he said they had none, to just stick it in my purse. But I carry a purse about 3"x5", just a little cross-shoulder thing so my hands are free, so I still have to find something to carry it in. And I am going to take lessons. Thank you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get yourself a pack of snap caps(dummy rounds, no powder or primer, protects the firing pin when dry firing). They are various colors so no mistaking them for live rounds. You can dry fire a lot with those, gets you used to the trigger, you can handle the reload practice safely, a must have for new owners. They build your confidence. Any you guys know if they make a .38sp snake/shot load? I'll search a bit, reduces your need to be deadly accurate on a snake.

Edit: just saw that CCI makes a .38sp snake shot round. Read a review from a guy that was using a 4" S&W model 10 to dispatch about 8 rattlesnakes in his travels. The snake shot is a bullet that fragments and has a shotgun like pattern to the fragments.
Wow, that sounds interesting, thank you! There are clubs around here for guys capturing live rattlesnakes, even with great prizes for getting the most - I'm still wondering why it's illegal to kill a moccasin though.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Congrats! As mentioned get some snap caps and practice dry fire and I whole hearted agree do not do it anywhere near ammo (another room) and make darn sure what you are pointed at! I have a stack of big ol books I dry fire at
and I have seen a big bucket of sand used. DO NOT try to fire 357MAG in your 38! You can do that the other way around 38's in a 357 but NO 357's in a 38! Have fun, be safe!

·
Registered
715 Posts
After 2 days of haunting gun shops, finally got a gun yesterday. It's making me sad - going to give her an ugly name. But also glad to have one I think so I guess I'll give her a pretty name. It's a smith and wesson REVOLVER, which one great gun shop owner said is what I need. LOL, said the guy who sold me the short shotgun with a pump on the bottom was an idiot. After holding, feeling, trying to pull the thing back on semi automatics, and not seeing hammers on some, I liked everything about this one. Please wish me luck I can at last kill a water moccasin. :surrender:
Wise choice on the revolver. I agree with Willie...you can get some snake shot rounds that I bet will be handy in your hunt for those moccasin's

Edited after reading Willie response

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
Wow, that sounds interesting, thank you! There are clubs around here for guys capturing live rattlesnakes, even with great prizes for getting the most - I'm still wondering why it's illegal to kill a moccasin though.
CSI is in Tennessee. It is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild or possess any native snake in Tennessee.

Check the laws of your own state before blasting away at snakes or any other critters.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts