Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me an objective opinion on the Lewis Machine and Tool MRP? I am looking at one in 5.56 for about $1300. I have been told that this was an excellent quality weapon, and have done a little research online, but I wanted you guys' opinion. This will be my "all-around, go-to gun" in the event of fecal matter coming into contact with a rotating air mover.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
While it shouldn't it can matter where you are. In CA that isn't bad. They do have good reputations. I don't own one, but haven't heard anyone diss them any. In a gun free state that may be high not sure. Things are moving around up and down in price a lot right now.

If it were me today I'd build my own metal lower which can be done free of any registration or tax even in CA. A lower parts kit and affordable stag or palmetto upper and a rifle is built for under $900. Only hiccup is I can't sell or trade it legally for it has no serial number, but it's legal. That'd give me $400 for some magazines, cleaning gear, extra parts and a little thing called ammo.

·
Registered
938 Posts
They are really well made and have a great reputation for reliability.

They are not sub-MOA accurate out of the box. The guns range from 1.5 to 2.0 MOA, and require match ammo for best accuracy. They also benefit from trigger upgrades. Combat accurate with XM855 ammo, about 2.5 MOA.

There are more accurate guns, but it is a highly ranked AR-15 for build quality and operational reliability.

I looked at them closely, and bought a Colt LE6940 instead. But the MRP carbine was tempting.

If you buy one, the 18" is reportedly more accurate. So it depends on model and length.

The LMTs also do some mods to the bolt carrier which are designed as improvements over the mil-spec bolt carrier design. Two additional gas exhaust ports (five instead of three) and they chamfer (relief cut) the bolt lugs, and do some additional work to improve cyclic rate, supposedly. And you can get a mid-length gas system, something Colt has yet to offer.

I went with the Colt once I could compare them side by side. The lifetime warranty was a factor. And they are sub-MOA capable, and not as fussy about ammo selection.

That is a very good price for a complete rifle...just the uppers sell for that much.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Only hiccup is I can't sell or trade it legally for it has no serial number,
I'm no lawyer but from what I understand that is not entirely true. Interstate commerce laws come into play making it illegal if selling across state lines, but Intrastate is another story.

For the OP. I feel that is a high price for an AR-15 even today. A friend recently purchased a Black Rifle Works complete rifle, flat top receiver version with removable carry handle and hard case for less than $900

·
Registered
570 Posts
No first hand experience, but everything I've ever heard says they are quality, reliable equipment. You could certainly do far worse. I'm toying with getting the LMT .308 MWS myself when I get back to the States.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Never owned one, but have used them from other owners and have used some of there parts. There a top quality AR with the reputation of being so. That price is pretty good for one to me too.

Their site for reference,

Lewis Machine & Tool Company

·
Registered
354 Posts
LMT has the reputation of manufacturing quality weapons. Mine is a RRA. I do have to agree with Ripon about getting a blank receiver and building my own. If the shtf you don't need issues with the Gov't man coming to your door. He won't get everything. He won't get any of mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts