Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so you have to go out and do fun things for morale purposes, I get that and I often partake. Having a few drinks with friends, or getting lunch/dinner here and there should be a part of peoples' preps. Don't let prepping turn you into a hermit. This is a good time to drop hints and slowly get friends/family into hearing about the things you are doing and seeing that you are still out having fun so that it makes it more acceptable. They won't think they have to give up their lives to prep.

Ok, so when you go out with people and get drinks, what I suggest is splitting pitchers with friends. If you go out with 3 people and each buys a pitcher (which is usually enough to get me a good buzz, I'm skinny leave me alone) then you are spending about 9-12 bucks on average. If you were to buy 3-4 beers you would spend at least that much, if not more. May not seem like much, but a few bucks is a few bucks.
Same thing when you go to dinner or lunch with friends/family. Just don't order a pop/beer every time. This will save you 1.50-4.00 bucks a trip. If you get a 10 dollar burger and water then that's about a $14.00 meal with tip. If you get a beer/soda you are looking at $15-19 with a tip. 5 bucks or so that could go into your pocket for a prep or a bill/loan payment. May not seem like much but it helps.
If you are a gamer, which I am Acidlittle on xbox live, take back your old games that you don't play anymore to gamestop and get store credit for the next must have game. I got Gears of war 3 for a dime. No kidding. Took back the games I don't play and got store credit, did the same for COD MW3. Only spent $10 on it.
You can buy bowling shoes for $20-$35 bucks at Kmart (I think they still have them) if you go bowling 5 times a year and rent shoes, well they charge anywhere from 2.50-3.50 around here, so you can see that they will almost pay for themselves in a year.
If there are things you want, check craigslist first, ask friends if they know anybody who wants to get rid of whatever it is. I let it be known to my customers that I collect silver coins and they bring them in when they see em, always give fair prices do not try and screw over somebody being charitable.

The point is, don't STOP having fun because it's cutting into your prepping funds, rather just be smarter about the way you have fun!
If anybody else has any other ideas of how to save a little when you go out with friends or on other hobbies, chime on in!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
1. If you have to go to one of these chain of expensive resturants, try to go to a place that has the all you can eat salad bar for 1.99 WITH your meal. Just eat the salad, then tell the waiter to box up the main meal without touching it. Eat the meal the next day.

2. No offence Acidlittle, but gamestop kills me with their "we'll buy back your game that were selling used right now at 40 bucks and we'll give you 6 bucks". Sell it on ebay, you'll get 30 bucks. Unless you really want that game right now "COD MW3, Battlefield 3" are exceptions. lol.

3. If you get a gift card that you do not want or have no use for, then put it on ebay and I have found out that if I put a 25 dollar card out there, I'll get 26-27 dollars plus shipping!??!?!!? WTF????? I guess its for people that want to sit at home or have the habbit of bidding.

4. See if the movie you are going to get is on Redbox and stop paying what $6 something for blockbuster. Order it online though to save you 30 cents plus you don't have to wait for little susie to stand there all day calling her friends to see if they want to watch a movie. Better yet, see if the free HULU has it online already. Probably not though.

5. Order in bulk groceries. If you get 2 ribeyes, it will cost you around $14 bucks. You can buy the family pack (6 pack) for 17 bucks, put in ziplocs and throw in freezer.

6. Get rid of your cell phone! Rather go with Straight talk. They are month to month and give you discounts if your pay in advance. Their newer phones will let you do everything the big hype phones will do for $45/month unlimited everything. No contracts! You lose a phone, and its not 600 bucks, its less than 100. If you get laid off your job, just cancel for that month.

7. Leftovers. give them to the cats/dogs once and awhile. hey, who DOESN'T feed scraps anyway to these loveable pets? Saves you a day worth of cat/dog food.

8. Call the electric company and ask for their plug in meter that is prepaid. It saves an average of 20% off your bill from the research they have done.

9. Get a programable thermostat. SET IT, just don't get it, set it to go down on the heat at night, but kick on 1 hour before you wake up in winter time.

10. Gift giving. Make your own presents. I gave away 21 bug out bags this christmas. They all laughed but a few. Those few I'll let in my house when shtf, others can stay outside. just kidding.

11. If you are skinny like Acidlittle (LOL). and you go out to eat with your signifcant other, then say, wow, I wouldn't be able to eat all this nacho platter... keep saying it, your SO will hopefully be the same mindset and say "lets share it".

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, just because I'm skinny doesn't mean I can't eat!!! At our local Old Chicago, they often have 40% off appitizers before 6pm and after 9pm, some of the apps are very yummy so I try and lure friends into going at these times, also when it's pint for mug price or buy 2 get one drink free.

All good suggestions my friend!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Good tip on the appitizers. Applebees has a half off at those times. Chilis has something like get one beer, get one free. What I'll do if I'm wanting a cola is take one physically in the resturant with me. who cares right? What are they going to say? "Sir, can you please extinguish your drink please". 99% of the workers would do the same, they just work there.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if they say get rid of it, tell em you have OCD and you have to bring your own. they won't challenge that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts