Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I showed my daughter how to make a Coke Can Stove or Penny Stove last night. By now if you are not familiar with those - search this forum and /or YouTube. After a moderately successful test (I need to hone my skills) I thought I'd show her the Rocket Stove and Rocket Mass Heater. She's all excited, but then she asked, "what about a nightlight?"

I couldn't find anything......

So here is the challenge.

Can you make a wickless liquid fuel night light? Post up your plans and designs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
No clue on that one, but wouldn't it be just as dangerous as leaving a regular candle burning unattended?

Reactions: rickkyw1720pf

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as? Probably.
But that isn't the point.

This is about can it be done.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Mix two chemicals together diphenyl oxalate and hydrogen peroxide. These are the two chemicals that or in a glow stick. So it can be done but why not just buy a couple of solar garden lights for 3 dollars each they will give you a night light for a few years.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
There are some battery powered votive "candles" that would work well but you would have to recharge them if you want them in continuous duty. A "wickless" candle is not a good idea because of the flame and you have to use a volatile fuel to be wickless. Do you really want a can of gasoline, naphtha, or other volatile fuel left burning?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
This! These lights are incredibly cheap. Store some in your garage so they don't wear and in a crisis all you need to do is put them outside where they grab some sun and later they'll give you enough light to read by and walk thru your home with. Negatives are you can't easily turn them off and regulate their use. Up side quiet, reusable, and will go a few years. (Plus incredibly cheap).

The solar outdoor lights would be the cheapest and safest way to go. I've bought them in during a power outage and they work well.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't know how old your daughter is but she would probably think it just as cool to make her own night light out of a solar garden light. With your help she could greatly increase the functionality of those solar garden lights by removing the 300 mah AA battery and replacing it with a 2300 mah AA battery you could also cut one of the wires going to the led and strip back the coating and just connect them together when needed for light or install a little switch. It would also give her a little responsibility because she would be in charge of keeping it charged by putting it out in the sun in the day time and bringing it in before bed.

This may also be a good little Christmas present for her
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Solar-LED...73484110&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Of course you can always fill a mason jar full of lightning bugs in the summer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts