Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
"We must leave oil before it leaves us"- Fatih Birol, Chief Economist EIA, 2008
Peak Oil represents the point in time when roughly half of the ultimate available oil has already been used.
Many scientists and experts believe that we are very close to the peak of conventional oil today. We may have already passed the peak
."

Yeah last year i researched the question "when will the oil finally run out?" and the consensus of oil industry experts seemed to be "Sometime this century".
Some even said 2010 was the turning point when supply couldn't meet demand for the first time ever, and that oil therefore began running out in 2010 and it's downhill all the way from now on.
But some said it'll not run out for centuries because there are huge untapped reserves still waiting to be discovered.
And others said scientists will probably create an "oil substitute" anyway which will last forever.

My gut feeling is to go with the industry experts who say the wells will run dry sometime this century which explains the West's obsession with getting Afghan's oil because it'll put off "Dry-day" that little bit longer.
The politicians nightmare is that when it runs out we'll have nothing to make our super-duper tanks, planes and ships go, and will be plunged back into stone age weaponry, right General?

"Ugh"..

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Peak Oil gets moved a lot. By that I mean they keep learning there are new supplies here, there,
and damn near everywhere. Its also pretty clear we can make bio fuels if we had too - we prefer to
eat that stuff right now, but if the world were starting to run out of oil the price would skyrocket
and then biofuels would be cheap.

I equate the "peak oil" claim to that of the global warming crisis.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We can only squeeze so much oil or anything else out of this tiny globe, and the first sign that politicians are getting worried about dwindling supplies is when they start clamping down on private motorists by raising gasoline prices, heavily taxing new cars, restricting licences, and any other hassles they can think of to force people to give up their cars and switch to public transport or bikes.
No way hozay will they let motorists guzzle it when it's needed for their armies, navies and air forces..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see limits related to food availability becoming more of an issue earlier. Look at the 2012 corn crop. Big drought resulted in few exports and much higher commodity prices. For us in the US/1st world it just results in higher prices for now.

But the billion or so people that don't have enough food now will just get bigger, and they have plenty of weapons and dictators who know how to use them. What happens when we stop paying them to keep quiet?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I see limits related to food availability becoming more of an issue earlier. Look at the 2012 corn crop. Big drought resulted in few exports and much higher commodity prices. For us in the US/1st world it just results in higher prices for now.

But the billion or so people that don't have enough food now will just get bigger, and they have plenty of weapons and dictators who know how to use them. What happens when we stop paying them to keep quiet?
And this is why bio-fuels are not the answer to replacing oil based fuels.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I work for a large industrial transformer manufacturing company, a lot of our units are used in coal power plants and the oil refining plants. Cameron had originally put in a large number of units used to clean the oil last year. But completely backed out of the deal, they're having trouble getting crude oil that needs to be cleaned.

So what is everyones method of travel post "Dry-day" I will be spending $25 on ammo instead of a gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Limited resources, still growing population, still growing resource use/waste production per person. That has 'unsustainable' written all over it. I find the 'scientists will come up with something; they always have before' argument exactly as compelling as a guy falling past the fifth floor of a fifty story building, smiling and saying "All right so far!" There are already human populations that crashed spectacularly because (we think) they outgrew their resource bases and their scientists couldn't 'come up with something'.

I'm not enough of an expert to predict timelines, but I'm enough of a biologist to know every population has a carrying capacity.

·
Registered
21,077 Posts
I believe that the people who make up the organization (provided by the OP via link) are full of hogwash. But I do concede, as Spice clearly states, that every population has a carrying capacity. There are indeed way too many idiots...er...I mean people... on the Earth.

So, as the wise man once asked...What's 100 million islamists at the bottom of the ocean?

Answer; A Good Start! Ha!

·
Administrator
14,853 Posts
I believe that the people who make up the organization (provided by the OP via link) are full of hogwash. But I do concede, as Spice clearly states, that every population has a carrying capacity. There are indeed way too many idiots...er...I mean people... on the Earth.

So, as the wise man once asked...What's 100 million islamists at the bottom of the ocean?

My first impression of that website is this is just New World Order bs put out by the UN and the UN's Agenda 21. The site is probably owned, managed, and maintained by the UN.
Nature has a way of controlling population. Example - mass starvation in over populated Africa. But then man steps in with modern medicine, food supply airlifts, etc and upsets the balance.

Reactions: Ripon and Slippy

·
Registered
21,077 Posts
Right you are RPD (As usual)

But to lighten the mood a bit, an oldie but a goodie;

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
These folks ignore new finds reported almost annually.
These folks ignore dramatic efficiency improvements.
And finally they ignore that when the commodity prices rises usage declined seriously.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Collapse is projected by salesman and has always been. A clock is always right twice a day. These salesmen will be someday, but not soon.
Unfortunately, the argument works both ways. That's why it's much better to use evidence.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Actually, that's the main argument of the study.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My first impression of that website is this is just New World Order bs put out by the UN and the UN's Agenda 21. The site is probably owned, managed, and maintained by the UN.
Nature has a way of controlling population. Example - mass starvation in over populated Africa. But then man steps in with modern medicine, food supply airlifts, etc and upsets the balance.
Highly unlikely, as the UN is essentially run by the Security Council whose industries are dependent on the opposite.

·
Registered
59 Posts
These folks ignore new finds reported almost annually.
These folks ignore dramatic efficiency improvements.
And finally they ignore that when the commodity prices rises usage declined seriously.
Yes, and yet real data still tracks the forecasts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts