Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm looking to buy a lightweight pot that can go directly on hot coals or over a fire. My question is does it have to be made of a certain metal? Stainless steel, aluminum, cast iron!?? I'm looking for something that's gonna last a long time but not weigh half the weight of my bug out bag. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Good question. I saw a post on here about an aluminum bottle that you get at the dollar tree/store that you can make a stove cooker with and alcohol, but for some reason I thought aluminum would collapse/burn up after a certain temperature is reached? I'm mainly looking for the best of the best that I can boil some water with and as you said will not weigh down my pack or be too bulky.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've used aluminum pots and canteen cups for years with no problem same as stainless steel over the direct flames of a camp fire. It's not the metal it's that there all metal down to the last bit of the handle as it's one's with polymer handles that will melt the handles. Even though there high temp polymer, flames go beyond there temp resistance. I've used cast iron at home and on a grill but not over a camp fire. Too heavy to carry and I've always had specific camping and pack cookwear. For pack I've used canteen cups for a long time. I've got newer stainless steel one on my BOB, but my old aluminum one is still going. A usgi canteen, canteen cup and pouch is a well designed piece of gear that can attach to any molle, pal or alice attachment point. The cup is near perfect for 1 and has strong fold out handles. There are other choices if your packing for more than just you though as it's too small to feed more than 1 at a time.

Find Military Hydration Canteens - U.S. Cavalry

Find Military Camping & Survival Food & Cookware - U.S. Cavalry

Luggage and bags Canteen Bag Font Gas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so it sounds like it doesn't matter what you use?? Stainless, aluminum, or cast are all safe to use over fire? I'm guessing stainless would be my best bet for durability then. Aluminum just seems to weak and cast is way to heavy.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
A lot of camping pots are aluminum. The aluminums do last and there lighter. It's there strength in bending if they take a hit that I've ever seen. Drop you pack hard, or fall hitting the cup and don't wonder why it's got a nice bend in it. Otherwise there fine. The stainless one's really aren't that much heavier though in my experience, but every ounce counts and you've got to look at your priorities.

I lived in South Florida a long time. You might take a ride over to Bass Pro Shops off of I-95 in Dania and see what they have in stock.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&appID=94&storeID=16

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of camping pots are aluminum. The aluminums do last and there lighter. It's there strength in bending if they take a hit that I've ever seen. Drop you pack hard, or fall hitting the cup and don't wonder why it's got a nice bend in it. Otherwise there fine. The stainless one's really aren't that much heavier though in my experience, but every ounce counts and you've got to look at your priorities.

I lived in South Florida a long time. You might take a ride over to Bass Pro Shops off of I-95 in Dania and see what they have in stock.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&appID=94&storeID=16
I go there all the time along with Gander Mountain. The problem I have with both stores is they never have what the advertise online or in their weekly flyers. I love Carharrt clothes, bass pro advertises tons of their brand but my local store sells NONE! it's the same with their cookware, I've seen several pots at both stores websites but when you go to the store there's nothing close to it. I want to be able to hold it before I buy it.

I was looking at some of the kitchenaid brand pots, they are all stainless including the handle and they rated to go in the oven.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Aluminum does work pretty well. But you do have to watch how much heat you use. Hot coals with a good wind going can get the heat up there over two K F. It won't ruin your pot in one meal, but continued use like that will greatly reduce the life of the pot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aluminum does work pretty well. But you do have to watch how much heat you use. Hot coals with a good wind going can get the heat up there over two K F. It won't ruin your pot in one meal, but continued use like that will greatly reduce the life of the pot.
Is stainless steel more durable under those conditions?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah, stainless has a much higher melting point.

Or instead of cooking directly over the coals of a normal campfire, you can dig a Dakota pit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, stainless has a much higher melting point.

Or instead of cooking directly over the coals of a normal campfire, you can dig a Dakota pit.
Ok cool, I'm just planning worst case scenario what's my best bet. It's definitely looking like stainless steel.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It partly depends on how much you'll be using it. Aluminum is known to cause dementia and also (as pointed out by others) has a low melting point. I've had aluminum fall apart on me when cooking more than once.

Cast iron is great but heavy.

Stainless is the best way to go. Light weight, durable, and healthy.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It partly depends on how much you'll be using it. Aluminum is known to cause dementia and also (as pointed out by others) has a low melting point. I've had aluminum fall apart on me when cooking more than once.

Cast iron is great but heavy.

Stainless is the best way to go. Light weight, durable, and healthy.
So that's why those people in the other room who everyone tells me aren't there and eating my cupcakes are staring at me funny and playing twister. Here I thought it was from sucking on leaded fishing weights all those years.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
245 Posts
So that's why those people in the other room who everyone tells me aren't there and eating my cupcakes are staring at me funny and playing twister. Here I thought it was from sucking on leaded fishing weights all those years.

lol. I just peed a little.

OK here's a little rule to live by that will help with decisions like this in the future.

Stainless or aluminum- Stainless
Steak or corn dog- Steak
Toothpick or gun- Gun
Camo or pink- Camo
Boots or sandals- Boots

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
lol. I just peed a little.

OK here's a little rule to live by that will help with decisions like this in the future.

Stainless or aluminum- Stainless
Steak or corn dog- Steak
Toothpick or gun- Gun
Camo or pink- Camo
Boots or sandals- Boots
That's a pretty solid list to live by. As soon as you mentioned steak though, I started getting hungry only to remember there's no steak in the fridge. Damn. :|

Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Cuisine

·
Registered
245 Posts
I tried to get it published as a survival guide years ago but Tom Brown Jr. already had it copyrighted.
(Rimshot)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts