Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to buy some Lifestraw's for emergency use. However, I ended up getting the ones made by Advanced. After doing some research, I noticed the Lifestraw only filters bacteria, not viruses, since it doesn't contain iodine. Does anyone have experience with either of these two? Do you prefer one over the other? They both say they can roughly filter the same amount of water, 200 gallons clear, 25 gallons dirty. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a link to the one made by Advanced: Amazon.com: Personal Water Filter Straw - Portable for Wilderness Camping & Survival Equipment Packs - Best Emergency Tool Disaster Kit - Camping Water Filters - Water Filter for Purification of Water & Filtration of Water Treatment System for drinki

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I bought the lifestraw's I don't know if either one is better but I got them for under $20 apiece w/ shipping. Are the Advanced one's cheaper? Clicked on the link and answered my own question.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have these in my camelback at work and they do work. I was on a very long hike chasing a group down here on the border. It was one those days here in the southwest, 100+ degrees, got on some sign and hiked for miles, ran out of water. I came upon a stock tank and as I'm sure everyone knows they are loaded with giarardia from the cattle. I had the lifestraws and I hoped that the charcoal filters would work and they did, I didn't get sick. I have gotten a better hand pump style filter that I only use in emergencies but the straws do the trick. I don't believe anything will remove viruses even iodine in some cases. The better would be, if you have the time is combining a filter with boiling or tablets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.